What's for lunch?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 30, 2013.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2013

I'm looking for inspiration for the new year?

What will be in your lunchbox?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2013

Chicken and turkey roll ups (just smear with a smidge of veggie cream cheese), Fresh veggies and fruits, almonds, yogurt with granola & fruit, salads with chicken or fish, leftovers, and always, always one cookie. I'm trying to not drink soda with my lunch now, so we'll see how long that lasts during school.

(Plus some cup o'mac-n-cheese for those days.)

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2013

a screw-top plastic container in which there is:

about a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt,
    2 Tablespoons of natural peanut butter (oil drained)
    a sprinkle of cinnamon
    a teaspoon of stevia
    a touch of honey

Some people will look at it (or read this) and say "yuck!", but it actually tastes a lot like a PB cookie after you mix it together, and it has way less than 300 calories. Lastly, it is a perfect balance of protein, carbs, and fat (just the amount the body needs to keep my energy up and not make me hungry later in the day).

5. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

I like to make something on Sunday that my husband and I can have for lunches that week. (Pulled pork BBQ, egg salad, chili, soup etc.) Leftovers or plain ole sandwiches otherwise.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

I am determined to stop the frozen diet meals because of the preservatives and other stuff I would like to avoid. Not too mention I'm bored with them. I liked the grab and go, so I am looking for things I can make on Sunday or maybe twice a week and have ready for the mornings. It must have high protein.

So far, I have leftovers for a plan and will make some pb and j to freeze for emergency grab and go. I make the peanut butter by blending peanuts so it avoids the added sugars. I'll be following this thread for ideas. :)

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

I love making a big pot of soup, and freezing in small containers for the week. I can add more food, or not.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2013

I love leftovers, big salads with lots of fun fixings, and Spaghettios for days when I need comfort/junk food.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

My lunches are boring. I typically pack a sandwich (ham & cheese or PB), wrap, or leftovers. I usually have cottage cheese and a piece of fruit to go with it.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 31, 2013

In the warmer months I bring hummus and veggies, maybe some almonds, fruit, and string cheese as well.

In the winter, I typically make a pot of soup on Sundays and bring it in a thermos. Seriously one of the best $16 I've ever spent. I LOVE not having to wait for the microwave.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

I tend to bring a lot of sandwiches. I think I am going to mix it up a bit by bringing pitas and sub sandwiches because I do get so tired of regular sandwiches. I also bring soups in the colder months as well. Anytime I have leftovers I take that as well.

12. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I often take big salads with some grilled chicken. I also like to make a big pot of taco soup or turkey chili and freeze it in individual containers. I keep several of these in the freezer at school for the days I don't have time to make a lunch or forget my lunch.

13. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

This year, I'm planning to use my crock pot because it's awesome to throw ingredients together at night and wake up the next morning with lunch.

1. Chicken Marsala over rice (mmm!!)

2. Turkey Chili (delicious, healthy and hearty)

3. No shell turkey tacos over cilantro rice (ridiculously simple to make...cook the meat, toss in a El Paso taco seasoning packet, pop seasoned meat into the food processor to ground, then boil some rice with a handful of cilantro, pinch of salt and the juice of one lime.)

4. Spaghetti

5. Steak salads

6. Sandwiches (Pastrami, Hot Mustard, Cheddar and Cucumber slices are delicious, but I pack the cucumbers separately to prevent soggy bread)

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

Yum! Love all these ideas.

I buy green leaf lettuce to make "boats" or "wraps" with any left over meats, cheese, and either salsa or dressing.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

All kinds of salads...
    My current faves:
    Pkg slaw mix
    Can mandarin oranges drained
    Add in: toasted:
    Pepitas
    Sesame sticks
    Walnuts or almonds Or both
    Make dressing:
    Olive oil
    Sesame oil
    Lime juice
    Honey
    Peanut butter
    Add in dried cranberries

Salad #2

Black beans...can, drained
    Tomato..seeded, chopped
    Avocado..chopped
    Corn, fresh, kernels
    Red onion, diced

Toss with lime juice
    Olive oil
    Cumin
    Cilantro

17. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

A caprese salad- lettuce, mozzarella cheese balls, grape tomatoes, croutons, Parmesan cheese

18. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

Great Ideas! I will be following this thread... I'm probably the worst with bringing lunch and normally end up eating a school lunch... or suffering through the school day.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

We used to have a kitchen supervisor who would make a special lunch for teachers. It was always something of the homemade variety, something that required a real recipe and real ingredients, not the prepackaged garbage that the students have to eat. She'd also always have homemade pies around, usually pecan or pumpkin. They transferred her to a different school, and the new kitchen supervisor doesn't staff the teacher window (it opens into the faculty lounge). If we want to eat school food, we have to yell through the window to get someone's attention, and even then our only options are the nachos or nasty pizza, both with a side of fries or tater tots, that the students get. Very disappointing. I haven't had school lunch in years, even when I've forgotten my lunch. I would rather go without than eat that garbage. And that's saying something because I'm a person who loves food that's bad for me!

20. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I'm terrible, I usually just run out and get something and come back. I never really bring lunch, lol. The chains that are close to my school is Subway, Mcdonalds, and Wendy's. Total junk but it works.