What's Everyone Doing on this Nice Saturday?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 8, 2013.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 31, 2014

I have a wedding shower going on at my house right now. Help!

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 31, 2014

Making the decision to leave my school and going over to the other elementary. Spent my morning talking with the principal at my new school.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2014

Date night with the bf.

4. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

May 31, 2014

:lol: This made me laugh! I'm a woman and even I run screaming from those things. :p

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2014

Me too!

Want to head east, mt? I've got lots of cold beverages and a pork tenderloin is roasting!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2014

I have a baby shower to attend tomorrow.:huh:

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2014

I was on a date late last night, so I slept until lunchtime today.

Mowed my yard and did some shopping once I got up. Going to walk at the track later, then go to the gym.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 31, 2014

I got a lot done at school, followed by a wonderful hike with a good friend.

Now it's time to veg on the couch a little, and probably sit outside with book...

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2014

And after pitching in $50 on a VERY NICE group gift (10 of us x $50 )...the prgenant mommy's girlfriends (her bridesmaids from last years wedding...ummm, yeah, wrote a generous check for that event as well) passed around a 'sign up to bring dinner or pay to have it catered in' sign up list. I gracefully declined stating I was planning my vacation for the month baby is due to arrive....seriously?

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 4, 2014

We are currently getting three weeks of meals from our friends and family because of our twins. I have made dinner for a few of my friends, all of who I gave very nice baby gifts to. It is common around here:mellow:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2014

I've never seen it...these things seem to vary geographically....

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2014

I think it's common for people to offer, or to send meals or something, but I hate whenever it's forced upon people like that. I understand wanting to make it 'organized', but something like this makes it seem like you're expected to do it, rather than people generously doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

It would be totally different if someone privately asked people if they wanted to be involved. It puts you in an uncomfortable situation when it's done in a group like that.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2014

Also, I'm not sure about your areas, but everywhere I've lived, there really aren't places to get take out, or get groceries or food delivered (other than pizza), or anything like that. That might factor into the prevalence of these things, too.

When I was in 5th grade, my teacher had a baby. Because of split grades and things, I had had here at least part of the day for 4 years in a row. She also belonged to our church, so we knew her well. A few weeks after he was born, my best friend and I (with my mom's supervision) made chicken cacciatore. I still remember decorating paper bags and loading everything up into them. We delivered them to her and visited. This last year I was cleaning out a box of things at my parents and found the thank you note she sent. Oh, and her son is a senior in high school this year!

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 5, 2014

It is very common around here to take meals to new moms and dads, or when someone is ill. I think it was a bit pushy to pass around a sign-up sheet, however. We usually just coordinate dates privately, or one person is in charge.

We have had two teachers out almost all year with serious illnesses, and their schools set up a MealTrain, so others in the district could sign up on-line. It has worked great!

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 7, 2014

I just mowed the grass and weeded the flower beds. Can you tell I'm avoiding the report cards I need to write?? :) I'm going out with friends tonight, so this afternoon I'll pop in a movie and force myself to sit down for 2 hours and write some reports.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2014

I'm avoiding as well, MissScrimmage! Did my grocery shopping, went for a 7.5km wog, made myself a lovely salad for lunch, and now I'm catching up online.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 7, 2014

I am soooo not in the right frame of mind for report cards. I haven't accomplished much this afternoon, except eat a lot of M&Ms!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2014

I replaced the ice maker in the fridge.:D

Placed my bet on the Belmont

Going out for a bit of clothes shopping later

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 7, 2014

Back home from the working out at the gym, then walked laps, got some goodies at my local FM, then a bit of shopping at Target, & a visit to Hobby Lobby.

I tried this totally vegan meal for lunch from the FM of mac & cheese, greens, black eyed peas & rice, & a bit more.

Now it's onto tons of grad school reading & work.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 7, 2014

I like going to baby showers but they are quite time consuming (I've been to some that lasted 5 hour!!). I took czacza's comment to mean the friends of the pregnant woman were asking people to sign up to pay for or bring food for the shower. That seems a bit tacky. If whoever is coordinating the party can't afford it then they should make it as simple as possible. The food or venue isn't as important as getting together to support the mom to be.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2014

TeacherNY..agree....
    WE did a brunch for a shower...it was great got it done and out of way so we could have rest of day!!!!

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2014

I got a late start on my Saturday because I had a full evening yesterday. Started my night with a retirement party for a co-worker, then went to the movies with a friend, and then walked four miles for Relay for Life. Got in bed around 4 this morning. Slept until noon, but didn't get up until after 1:00.

I've cleaned my bathroom, vacuumed the den, swept the porch, changed the bed, washed three loads of laundry, washed dishes, made homemade pizza, and puttered around online.

Now I need to get a shower and get ready to go out with friends tonight to see a band. Hope my new guy wants to come over after I get home. (We are both night owls.)

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2014

The friends of the mommy to be were having guests at the shower sign up to send restaurant meals or cooked meals once the baby arrives. I know friends might send a meal when a new mom comes home...it's just not customary in my area to send around a sign up sheet...some of my other friends were also taken aback by it.

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 7, 2014

I need to do report cards too! :( I'm definitely avoiding as well...

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 7, 2014

That's weird :unsure:

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2014

Movie and breakfast in bed (Monuments Men)
    Chiropractor appointment
    Go to son's rugby tournament
    A little shopping
    Grilling something for dinner

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2014

Working in the morning. Then, in the evening, going to my BF's mom's birthday dinner at this hotel.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

I am hunkering down today. It's miserable outside so I already have all their math sections done. Onto reading/writing right now.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2014

Add me to the report card list. My usual last minute rush is made worse this weekend because my daughter and her boyfriend are here for the weekend.

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

I would still be asleep, but my crazy neighbor has butt dialed me more than a dozen times. He's drunk and/or high. He is driving me insane, and I can't block him on my phone. I may have to get a new number.

It's cool today (60's) so I am going to take a nice long walk. Also going to the gym, and I might mow my yard.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

Just relaxing. I had a busy weekend last weekend so I am looking forward to having a quiet and relaxed weekend now.

32. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

cleaning, cleaning, cleaning :(

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2014

I'm going for a haircut in 30 minutes, then I'm heading to a tutoring job for 2 hours. Luckily, it's a fun student.

34. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

Relaxing. I had a busy weekend the last two weeks and I really just want to sit out on my deck (morning) then lay on my couch, eat some snacks and watch tv---------ohhh and play on my laptop as well:D

**EDIT: Decided to go food shopping so I don't have to go tomorrow morning or Monday after work annnnd I just baked a batch of fudge brownies:p

35. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2014

We went to the mall today and had dinner in the food court. :)

36. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2014

I decided to start a project that is 15 years overdue. I say I am going to do it every summer, but never get to it, so it is my first project this year.

I started by going through my file cabinet and got rid of old pay stubs, warranties for stuff long gone, bank statements, lesson plans, etc. etc.

Then the scary part - boxes and file drawers of loose pictures, memorabilia, kids'school stuff, that was totally mixed up and disorganized. I now have 4 boxes - one for each kid, one of pictures I need to sort, scan or whatever the hell I am going to do, and one of other memorabilia. I am dirty, dusty, exhausted but feel very accomplished. It is a long way from done, but a lot closer than it has ever been.

I had to empty our big shredder 3 times and filled 2 big recyclable cans with other paper, as well.

If we have to move next year (grrrr :(), at least the least organized part of my life is on the way to being organized.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do with the pictures etc. since I doubt 25 years worth of albums are in my future, let me know.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

That's a huge job,scmom, congrats to you for tackling it. My mother-in-law never threw out a piece of paper and was in her house for almost 60 years. She's been in a retirement home for well over a year, and my husband is still spending several hours a week at her house.

38. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Gorgeous day here yesterday! Worked in the yard in the morning, then one daughter got in from out of town and we went to lunch, took the dog for a long walk at a nature park and then sat in the gazebo in the backyard and talked for hours.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 21, 2014

Time seems to really go faster when an event you've been anticipating for a long time finally comes & goes. It was last Sat when I went to my BF's mom's surprise b-day dinner party. Glad that's over.

Back to the usual:

work
    grad homework
    exercise/work out/walking
    do some kind of little shopping - today, I have to get a white lab coat, black pens, & Urban Decay makeup setting spray
    Also, I'll be returning a package, going to Staples, & a couple other places.

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2014

Hope you enjoyed the party, Ms. I!

It's the last weekend before school is finished!

- make a couple of minor changes in report cards
    - mark health and math quizzes that the kids wrote on Friday
    - sort through a couple of boxes of books that I want to take in to school
    - get organized for my 5k tomorrow
    - laundry
    - watch World Cup soccer and Blue Jays baseball