What's better Math or TESOL

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nanaafia, Jun 15, 2007.

1. nanaafia

nanaafia Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I am considering going back to school for elementary ed certification as a career change (my bacc major was accounting and I've been working in accounting for about 4-5 years).

I'm wondering what would be better:

a math certification

or

TESOL endorsement

or both??

3. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 15, 2007

depends...

are you looking to teach Secondary or Elementary?

It also depends on where you want to teach. TESOL is really good in many states, but not as much in others (depends on the makeup on the state)

4. loman

loman Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Well math can get you into any district. TESOL will get you into high immigrant districts. A district with very high home prices or in a rural area is not likely to have many ELL students. But every district has to hire a bunch of math teachers.

I would say math. But, you then might end up teaching 6-12 math, because that is what your endorsement is for and no elementary students. If you get TESOL, that will help your desire to teach k-6 more, but not your desire to teach anywhere (if you understand what I am saying).

5. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Exactly.

It's been great with my TESOL (But I'm applying in CA (and yes Palm Springs is expensive, but they were impressed with my ELL Auth due to the population), OR, AZ, and NV...states with high ELL populations...in OR, having an ELL license is the way to get a job in the state as not enough people have that certification)

Math is good if you want to do Middle/High as there is a math shortage, but I don't know how it would help if you only want to do Elementary.

6. nanaafia

nanaafia Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

I definitely don't think I want toteach middle/high school. What about special ed certification and TESOL...any thoughts?

7. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 16, 2007

Special Ed is a definate shortage area...everywhere.

I have thought about it, but can't afford it...if after two years I can't land a job, I'll try to get into LAUSD's program for that. (its basically an intern program for people who already hold general ed credentials)