What's behind your walls?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 13, 2013

My day started out like it usually does when starting a new remodel. I removed the toilet, the vanity, the carpeting, and the walls.... and that's when I found 11 bags and a small box in a nook inside the wall. In the bags were dimes and quarters dated back to the 1940s and earlier. It was a lot of coins. At a guess, it might have been over a $1000 and maybe as much as $1500 in change at face value. I was blown away that this money had been hidden away in a wall. It being there raises so many questions. It wasn't my money even though I found it. The homeowner may have just had a windfall of momentous proportions. Even if I overestimated the amount of money in those bags, I was able to examine one dime, a 1941 Mercury, and its value in silver is 1400% of its face value. That's a dime that goes for a $1.39 (not necessarily the most current value of silver). To simplify, 1500 dimes is only $150. In silver, that's $2085.00! $1500 in real silver dimes is $20850.00 worth of silver. That's incredible!

So what's in your walls?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

I love this sort of find! Mysterious, historical...awesome. :)

Nothing cool in our walls; we built it and didn't hide anything fun. But our farm house which has been in our family forever had some pretty neat pieces of ourfamily history hidden away.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

My house was built in 1999, so I highly doubt there is anything!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2013

I just hope there's nothing dead in there.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 13, 2013

I love this sort of stuff!!! There's a really old TV series, If Walls Could Talk, I think it was on HGTV for a while? It went around the country to houses where people found things while remodeling. We stayed at a B&B in Guthrie that was featured on the show. When the owners were doing repairs, they found a crawlspace where the original owners' daughter had hidden love notes from her fella and diary entries during the 40s.

Our house was built in 1982 and was crap hole when we bought it. We're lucky there wasn't anything behind our walls. :lol:

Beth

7. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 13, 2013

:rofl:

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2013

Um, when we opened up our wall, we found black mold and ant nests in the insulation.

So, securis... got a spare room to rent? :lol:

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2013

I found some interesting old books in the attic. I've never taken down any walls. I also had stacks of foam meat trays, film canisters, Cool Whip bowls, and margarine tubs. My house was owned by a retired elementary teacher. Apparently she was quite into reusing stuff with her students.

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 14, 2013

Well, this house might be on the market in a year or so. It'll probably go for more than 750K. It's right on the Hudson river on about 3 acres with an incredible scenic view. I can't rent it or sale it. I'm just the handy-guy.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 14, 2013

That's incredible! My dad used to buy, fix and resale houses and he would always checks nooks and crannies in hopes of making such a find. No such luck unfortunately

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 14, 2013

The history teacher in me used to love that show. Cool find!!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2013

How cool!! This is one reason why I would love to buy and remodel an older house! Our house has only had one other owner before us and I'm pretty sure they didn't hide anything in the walls. Our house was built in 2001.

14. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 14, 2013

We found a suitcase with a big padlock behind a wall in our house. We hired someone to open it and....nothing. NOTHING! Such a letdown

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 14, 2013

The house I really wanted was built in 1902. I wanted to remodel it and have a bed & breakfast when we retired. It needed a lot of work though, so we're buying a house built 12 years ago. I bet there was something interesting hidden in the old house. The carriage house was full. I've been watching too many episodes of American Pickers this summer.

16. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

securis, the people you are doing the work for are lucky to have such an honest person working for them. bf and I did our own work on our house, built in the early 19teens. we only found an old maybe face cream bottle under the house. oh yes, there was also an old hammer, but maybe later than old bottle. I always wonder what compels someone to hide money in walls of house. we always joke about money in our walls or under house. Wouldn't that be nice?! sigh. our house sucked our money into its walls, but not quite the same way.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

Look online to see how much those quarters are worth - all quarters pre-1963 are worth at least $1, the earlier they are, the more they are worth, due to the higher silver content.

Also, check to see if you have any of the rare coins, from when rations were implemented (WW1 & WW2)

In the walls of my house (Built in... 1941, I believe?), there are really old newspapers.

Earliest we found last time my dad redid insulation was from like 1961.

18. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 15, 2013

Taking out the mirrors in the bathroom ( a bunch of squares that were not flush) to put up a large framed mirror we found an alcove for a medicine cabinet with a towel inside.

Nothing amazing.

19. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 15, 2013

Very cool! We live in an old house (by California standards) but it's a rental, so we won't be looking into any walls. :(

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2013

During my college years and the first few years teaching I worked with a remodeler we found a bunch of stuff as for money we only found small amounts less than $50 at a time

One time I found some bad tests that the kid of the house hid when he was in Jr Hi and the was in College when we did the remodel.

21. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 15, 2013

I wish I could have honestly taken possession of the coins but they weren't mine. I barely got a glance at one quarter and one dime so there's really no telling what was in those bags. I did, however, do as much research as I could based on what I saw and now I sit and conjecture about the values of the whole lot. The quarters were old standing liberty quarters made from 1917 through the 1930s. Standing Liberty Quarter Values I found at this link. And the values of the Mercury Dimes and this link: Dime Values

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

We remodeled and old house (well just the walls and sanded wood floors). We didn't find anything exciting. some old newspaper clippings, a few pennies. But before we put up the new walls we signed our names and left a few coins....

23. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 15, 2013

:lol: That is great!

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

When we redid the bathroom in our old house, I found a pocket knife and a stack of old razor blades in the wall. Kinda creepy, actually...

In my old school, when they were tearing out the old gym, I went scavenging and found:

A beer bottle
    Old geometry papers (1962)
    A graduation program from 1946
    Several English papers from various years
    Love notes
    Money
    Pictures
    Newspapers from the 80's. Others, but were too far deteriorated to tell the dates.
    A basketball uniform from the 70's

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

My mom found a machete either in the wall or under some floor boards in our attic (I don't remember which one). She talked to the old owners and found out that they fostered a really violent child and hid some things from her. We were scared about what else might be found!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

When my MIL moved into her house she found a box of old letters written by someone during WWII. She was also just telling us a friend of hers found a box of money somewhere in the new house he bought.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2013

:lol::lol:

My thoughts exactly.

The previous owners of our house taped off the laundry shoot. I used it & couldn't find my clothes! They had put in a ceiling above the bar where the laundry shoot was. My dad cut a hole where the shoot was so we could use it.

We did find a towel when he did that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

We found razor blades...but they had a little whole in the whole in the "old" days to put your old blades in.

We found a bunch of old bottles when we dug under our porch as well! A mason jar with the lip broken from the 1800s!!! I saved all the old jars... medicine bottles as well.

29. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

In high school I was on the school paper. We did a series of articles on the school's 50th year. We got to tour the basement
    It was really cool
    -main building all we got to see was the broiler room
    -gym..they used to hold some classes down there. The basement had rooms and cages. The cages were full of YEARS of trophies.
    -lecture hall..most interesting. We found old news reals from WWII. They let us take them so we could find a projector to watch them on. But the reals "disappeared" from a cabinet in the newspaper/yearbook room. I would love to check out the basement again...15 years later!