What's AVID?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Zanadu, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 14, 2007

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with AVID. My daughter is currently in the 6th grade. Her teacher recommended her for the program next year. I asked someone whose child was in the program what it was about and they said it taught organization skills. Is that all? (Not that my daughter wouldn't benefit from them.) She's unsure if she wants to take the class because it will take up her one elective she's allowed. She's very artistic and was looking forward to either chorus or drama. I really want to steer her in the right direction.:thanks:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

Advancement Via Individual Determination - it's a program designed to help kids gain the skills they will need to get into and through college. Is the teacher someone you can ask flat-out for the reasons behind the recommendation, and someone who would respond kindly but frankly? If so that could give you valuable feedback.

If your daughter is lacking as regards organization and the like, you could, I suppose, consider working out a deal with her: she can have either chorus or drama, but only if she gets on top of the organizational issues and the homework and all by working either with you (if the two of you have that sort of relationship) or with an older student who's good with the skills or an adult who knows them. In other words, perhaps you could offer her a sort of mini-AVID or privat AVID outside of school that would allow her to work on those skills AND get the elective she wants.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2007

I would ask the teacher for a very detailed description.

How on earth can you recommend a child for a program and not tell the parents what it entails?

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 14, 2007

Does the teacher know how artistic your daughter is? How bad are her organizational skills?

Just my opinion of course but from what I read above, I would not take creative and artistic related electives from a person who is creative and artistic.

My son is extremely bright and creative but very unorganized. I still would rather have him in a class that was an outlet for his creativity rather than spend that time in a regular, anti creative class. By the way, he is in drama and loves it.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

If it's assumed that "everyone knows" what AVID is. (Those are scare quotes, people: I don't do quotes for emphasis.)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2007

Does that make me a "nobody"???

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2007

If you keep the scare quotes, sure.

(For the rest of you, this may be a generational thing, alas: but in proper written English, quotation marks used the way Alice and I have used them here are called "scare quotes" and they mean that the term in quotation marks is to be taken anything but literally.)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2007

Great, so now I'm an "Old Nobody" :)

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 14, 2007

I took AVID one semester my freshman year of high school and I found it pointless, which is why I dropped it at semester. It taught how to take notes and stuff like that, but in my school at least, most of the kids in it didn't really care about school, and I don't remember doing anything really. It was a waste of time. That could have been specific to my situation, but just thought I'd share my experiences with it. I'd say put your daught in the arts elective of her choice, unless her grades are really suffering and you think she could benefit from a study skills/note taking class.

11. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 14, 2007

I have a pretty good idea as to why. Her teacher and I have been struggling all year to get her on top of assignments. She tends to turn things in late or totally ignore them. It's been a harrowing year for me. I want her to be responsible but at the same time I don't want her to fall behind. Her teacher and I worked together for a while. He had a website where he posted assignments but eventually he stopped updating. I can help her organize and not get overwhelmed if I know WHAT we need to organize. She has not been very forthcoming in telling me her assignments. So I can see where this class could be helpful. For a two year commitment I just would think that there would be more involved than teaching her how to use her planner correctly and take better notes( that's probably simplistic but you get my drift). Do you find that students who take the class actually use what they learn in other classes?

She was so excited when we went over electives for next year and when this came up she was bummed since she has already had something similar in her DEFY classes. However, it didn't help much that I can see.

12. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 14, 2007

Thanks I appreciate hearing from someone who took the class. Do you find that you use any of the skills they taught you? She won't have the option of dropping. It's a two year commitment.

13. srh

srh Devotee

Apr 14, 2007

At the risk of saying something that might be offensive, I'll just add that AVID is often recommended when a student is considered an underachiever or has little support at home. Those are the students considered "high risk" for NOT getting into or attending college.

However, that is also quite a generality. I think there are probably many students who benefit from it even though they are not so "in need." For some, it is a wake-up call that shows them they really do need some basic skills and personal motivation. The program is helpful to many! (I wouldn't write it off yet; I'd check to see what the specific goals and strategies are for AVID in the school she would be in...)

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 15, 2007

I really didn't use much that they taught me, however, I'm pretty on top of things - not really sure exactly how I ended up in the class actually! I just remember they taught you a very specific form of notetaking that you were supposed to use in everyt subject. That style of notes just didn't work for me, so that was frustrating. I remember learning how to set up a binder, and they had us get partners in each class who we could call if we needed help, but I never did.