What's appropriate?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FutureFLTeacher, Jun 18, 2009.

1. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Thankfully, my county is finally hiring again...which is good news! But I'm sure it's myself and hundreds of other biology teachers applying for these positions...LOL

My question to everyone out there is this, back in the day, it was alright to drop the principal or department head an email expressing your desire to work at their school...include your resume, etc. on top of actually applying in the formal manner.

Much has changed over the years, would that still be considered acceptable/professional in this day and age or has everyone found that the it's safer to stick to the formal application manner itself?

I remember friends who would even send cookies or small gift baskets along with their resumes to the principal at a school they wanted to work at!

I wasn't sure how much had changed and wanted to get a consensus from the gang here...:)

As always, thanks!

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

I'd email principals and even do a drop-in. However, I would not send gifts with my resume. It gives a very unprofessional appearance and it gives the impression that your resume isn't good enough to stand alone. Trying to meet the principal and explain how much you want to work there and why you are the person for the job would be much better viewed.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

:yeahthat:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

Dress up in your professional best and drop it off.

You'll be "that nice teacher who stopped by" instead of "resume #46 in a pile of 300"

6. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Oh I personally would never send a gift of any sort along with my resume...to me that's just downright tacky and it comes across like your trying to "buy" your way into a position. (Back in the day, that kind of stuff wasn't viewed that way...but a lot has changed.)

I work full time so unfortunately there's really no chance for me to drop by any of the schools I've applied at.

I'm thinking about just sending the principals a nice email, let them know I've already applied through the formal channel, but wanted to send them a copy of my resume and credentials as well. Figure that's a good way to find out about positions not yet posted or future ones...:)

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I would definitely email them and then maybe call to make sure they've received your application materials if you can't make it to the schools.

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

My old principal in Florida hired someone just because she took the time to stop into the school to drop off her resume. It just so happened the principal had a position open for a science teacher. She hired her on the spot.
    It can't hurt to contact them.

Good luck!!