What's an "unusual rule" at your school that you have to follow?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I'll start:

I'll be working at a private school that uses the classroom for other purposes so I will have to literally move everything out of sight on Fridays and store it in the cabinets in the classroom. This includes books, my desk accessories, tubs, EVERYTHING.

So, I can't get a head start on decorating like I was excited to do but at least my room will look simple and it will be easy to find what you're looking for! We can have things out Monday-Thursday. I cannot decorate the walls, only a small BB space.

At least it will save me money :lol:

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

What on earth does your school do on Friday nights to where everything must be put up?!

4. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

That is the strangest thing I have ever heard!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

My principal expected us to stop any child in the hallway who was doing anything inappropriate (something that I did not have a problem with), but then she wanted us to take them to the rules posters she posted throughout the hallways, have them choose which rule they broke and discuss with them what they should have done.... If we totally followed this, we could be with a student for up to 10 minutes. What were we to do with our class during this time?!

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 5, 2008

I wouldn't really say that it is an unusual rule, but we are not allowed to wear open toed shoes. So if we wear summer dresses we can't wear cute sandals, or any shoes showing our toes. Oh and they don't want us to wear tennis shoes yet the younger grade teachers are expected to teach them P.E. MY feet really need to breathe by the end of the day!

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

We aren't allowed to put tape on the walls, lockers or windows. It might leave a mark! Our day Janitor is a Type A personality and wants things his way! Needless to say-our walls are made out of brick and you can't staple. We all do it-we just don't say anything!! :)

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

What's unusual about my school is that we have no formal set of "rules" or consequences. Everything is to be viewed individually. Luckily, our student body is very small (only about 175 kids), so we've managed so far. I don't think it will last, though. It goes against everything we know about best practices, but this is what the admin wants...

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 8, 2008

We can't take our whole class to the library. We have to send our kids two at a time to the library. It takes forever, and we are expected to send each child every single day!

Also, children can have two books checked out, BUT if they only check out one today, they can't have a second one tomorrow! They have to check them both out at the same time. It is just weird!

10. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

This isn't a rule...but when we have fire drills we are timed by how fast everyone can get out of the building and to their "spot". I understand this, however, they also time us to see how long it takes for us to get back in the building.

11. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 8, 2008

That's probably best. I went to a catholic elementary school and my teachers (I assume) did something similar. Why? Because they had religious ed in those rooms. I remember once coming into school and one of the religious ed students had opened my glue and my entire desk including my supplies were covered in glue. Trust me it is for the best.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Same here! I'm not all about flip flops, but peep toed shoes are my favorite.

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

Hmmm, the most unusual rule that I know of right now is that if you drink coffee from the lounge, you have to contribute to the coffee fund and if you raid the secretaries "secret" candy stash, they ask that you bring a back of candy in every once in awhile.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2008

Both of those make perfect sense to me.

15. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

It is not a rule, but they love the gym floor so much at my school that when they redid the floor they left everyone a phone message- please don't come into the gym floor. But what was really funny is that they change the locks to the gym during the summer so no one will forget and accidently walk in there!

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

We can't laminate our own things - I mean seriously they don't allow us to laminate. We have to give it to the copy shop person who only laminates every other week. However, if you do it during the summer, it is ok?
    The other weird rule is that on casual Fridays you can only where the current years school shirt for your school. You couldn't wear a shirt from the high school that just has the district name on it, for example. So, every teacher has the same shirt on on Fridays with jeans.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

We have the same rule with laminating. Only certain people are allowed to use the laminator. Someone showed me how to use it last summer (before my first year of teaching when I had a TON of stuff to laminate). I just used it anyway when no one was there, and didn't tell anyone.

18. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Many of these rules sound familiar!

I recently heard of another school that does not allow a student to enter the bathroom alone. So if a child needs to use the restroom they have to bring a buddy. So now two kids are missing class!

19. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

ME TOO but T and F

I have to do the SAME THING only I have to put all of mine away on tuesday night come in early wed (not paid) to reset up and then put it away again on friday and then come in late sunday early monday to set up again for the week.....

20. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Our yucky rule: I have to be out of my room by 3:30 Tuesday AND Wednesday. This is for religious ed. I went back in one day b/c I forgot something, and got yelled at.

If I don't "hide" my stuff it gets broken, moved or goes missing. I have had things taken out of kids' desks, books written in (I trust the litle girl who showed me and knew it wasn't her writing) and all kinds of other things. They had a party and there were cupcake wrappers overflowing my trash (they are supposed to take their trash out) and crumbs and sprinkles all over the writing table and kids' desks.

I used to teach RE so I'm not blaming anyone, but GEEZ!

Sorry to rant....I didn't realize how upset it got me!

21. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Not this school, but my last one: We were only allowed so many copies every year. They kept track and let you know when you were getting close or going over. Not a problem for veteran teachers, who had class copies of everything from years before. But some of us (me included) didn't have that luxury, and since I had 3 different preps, the copies added up quickly. Not so bad as one teacher, who literally had to make copies for the entire school for assemblies (about every 6 weeks). Never understood how we all had the same copy limit, even though our needs were different.

22. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

We have this rule...I hate it!!! And I teach 10 year olds who learn to take advantage of the situation....I have to constantly pick their buddies for them.

23. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 11, 2008

At my old school, we had the same system in place and it was awful. But instead of yearly allotments,they gave us monthly allotments. I usually had no more copies like 1.5-2 weeks until the month.

24. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

A friend of mine teaches students with special needs at the hospital (she is employed by the public school, but the actual class is in the hospital) for the kids who are basically living at the hospital. Well, she can't have anything put on the walls, and at the end of the day she has to put away all the materials, books, CD player, everything in one closet. Every morning they have to take everything out. And at the end of the day they put everything away again.

At my school, the administration (well, actually, the district) mandated us, the certificated personnel, to flush faucets first thing in the morning for 1 minute and to keep a log of it. Every day! Because of the possible lead presence in the old pipes.
    At the end of each month we have to turn in the flush log to the office.

Another weird thing at my school is that when I have to go to the IEP meeting (I'm a special ed teacher) and sometimes it runs for 2 hours (most of the time), they will not give us a substitute teacher for that time. So we have to ask the teacher next door to kind of supervise, keep an eye on our classroom too. So you're lucky if you can schedule 2 IEP meetings for 1 day, at least this way you can request a sub for the whole day, but you can't do that if it's only for 1.5 or 2 hours.

25. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

^ What if the class next door is over 30 feet away? In my school for example, the doors for the classrooms are spread out very far from each other. I guess i'd have to monitor the other class through the vents!

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I can't think of any crazy rules. no capris (its Texas so many people wear them. They make my legs look stumpy so they are doing me a favor :lol:)

we are encouraged to wear sneakers or athletic-type maryjanes (i.e. sketchers)...so we can respond appropriately in an emergency. That's the total opposite of another person who said they can't wear sneakers.

oh...there is a strange one. We can't get our classroom keys until the first official day back for teachers. So, anytime I go in to work I must ask a janitor to open the door for me AND I can't get access to the filing cabinet, desk, and closet locks where most of my stuff is stored. Makes it hard to set up early!

27. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

We only have a cold water faucet...but.. we have these strange bugs that live in the pipes! They are about 2 - 3 inches long and have a zillion legs! They come crawling out of the sink from time to time. It is so gross!

I never let the kids use the classroom sink because when the creepy crawlies scurry out of the drain, the kids scream! So I never let them go near it. The bathroom pipes are different and don't have this problem. It is just the classroom prep sinks -- they don't get used much.

28. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Oh that is so gross!! Ewww!!!!