What's a good pace?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by substeacher, Feb 4, 2017.

1. substeacher

substeacher Rookie

Feb 4, 2017

What's a good pace to go through a chapter, especially if you're teaching math? I've been spending 2-3 days on each section of a chapter, meaning it takes us 2-3 weeks to get through a whole chapter. That's the way I remembered my teachers doing it in high school, so that's what I've followed thus far. One of my kids, though, recently complained that I was moving too fast for her to understand. In addition, a colleague was surprised when I told him which chapter I was on at the moment. The test scores have been pretty good thus far, so I haven't seen any reason to slow down until now.

I'm curious to see what others think. At what pace do you move through a chapter? How much time do you think is too slow and how much time do you think is too fast?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 5, 2017

That can't be answered on a forum like this. We don't know the book, the particular subject, etc. I suggest talking to the department chair and find out the pacing for your subject at your school. You district might have a pacing guide too.

ms.irene likes this.
  4. substeacher

substeacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2017

The department chair told me at the beginning of the school year to go at whatever pace I was comfortable with.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2017

It's not what YOU are comfortable with....it's about moving at a pace that keeps kids engaged and facilitates understanding.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 7, 2017

As 2ndTime said, it's really hard to evaluate a question like this. I live in Texas so my classroom is supposed to geared around the state standards (TEKS). I move at a pace that allows me to cover all the TEKS (plus a lot for my honors classes).

Textbooks are highly variable. The geometry textbook our school uses only has 12 chapters; that only requires two chapters per six weeks to cover. My chemistry textbook, however, has 24 chapters.

I wouldn't worry about your colleague or that one student; there's always that one student. If you're satisfied with your pace and the majority of your students are doing well, then keep at it.

substeacher likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    substeacher likes this.
  8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2017

I teach a world language using a textbook. The pace is determined by what students need to know in order to be successful at the next level (standards). If your department doesn't have a pace chart, I would make one, starting with the standards for your content, and seeing how far through the text you need to get to meet your standards. Then I would work backwards, breaking it down into units/weeks, which will tell you how much you need to do per class.

Bo C and substeacher like this.
  9. substeacher

substeacher Rookie

Feb 7, 2017

I'm sure that was part of the implied meaning behind his words, and it's certainly something that's on my mind. That's why I wanted to know how fast others go through a chapter or section to begin with, so that I could have something to compare my own pace to as I consider whether or not I'm going to fast for the students.

After thinking about it, I've decided I'm doing okay on the pace. Given the test scores, I think the kids are understanding what I'm teaching, and I think staying on the same topic any longer than I have been would cause boredom to set in. Even the girl who complained I was going to fast for her had a 75% on the last test, so she's not exactly failing the course. I think she's mostly just frustrated with what we're doing at the moment in class, and we've got plenty of time for me to work with her on that before the next test, anyways.