What's a day at the gym look like for you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 13, 2013

I just joined a gym last week. So far I really like it - a wonderful stress reliever. Problem is, I don't know what on earth I'm doing! I go for about one hour every other day.

Is there a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do the gym? Should I focus on cardio one day and strength training the next? Mix it up 30-min/30 min?

I'm looking to maintain my weight and build muscle, by the way. I don't need to lose weight.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 13, 2013

I do 20-30 minutes on the treadmill, three sets of 8 on each arm & leg machine, and 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. I walk on days I don't do the whole workout.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2013

Mon, Wed, Fri~I strength train first, working all muscle groups. Then do 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Tue, Thur~ run for 45 min-an hour.

Sat~I run outside for the same amount of time.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 13, 2013

My hubby and I go together and we do 30-40 on stationary bike then upper body/leg machines OR Ab circuit (usually switch off every other day) then 30 minutes on treadmill or elliptical.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 13, 2013

If you're looking to build muscle rather than lose weight, you should be spending the majority of your time lifting.

Right now I'm doing 30 minutes of cardio followed by about 20 minutes of lifting (I know the lifting is good for me, but I just don't like it that much, lol). I alternate days between arms/upper body, and legs/abs.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 13, 2013

Actually, lifting will burn calories at a higher rate and for a longer period of time than cardio. Weird, but true.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 13, 2013

That's not true at all. Lifting is anaerobic exercise and burns far less calories than aerobic exercise. The "afterburn" also isn't really enough to make a difference for the average person. The goal of lifting shouldn't be too burn calories, it should be to increase muscle.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2013

Many people alternate days of doing cardio & strength training, so the same muscles aren't used twodays in a row.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 14, 2013

http://www.livestrong.com/article/382155-does-lifting-weights-burn-fat/

Research is also showing that heavy weights + low reps burns more than light weights + high reps.

Basically, what guys have been doing at the gym for decades actually works :lol:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2013

But don't tell them that! :p

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2013

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295718-does-lifting-weights-burn-more-calories-than-cardio/

From the same website...cardio burns more than twice the amount of calories than lifting. I used to use my fitness pal to track diet and exercise and they don't even give you "negative calories" for weights on there at all for this reason. The whole "afterburn" thing is true but you have to have a huge amount of muscle for it to make any noticeable difference for weight loss. It's extremely hard to put on even one pound of muscle, and the extra calories you're burning are negligible. I have several girl friends who go to the gym and lift heavy weights because it's the "in thing" right now and don't understand why they're not losing fat.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 14, 2013

Ok :)

EDIT: I feel like that smiley comes off as passive aggressive given the context lol. What I really mean is, "I'm too tired to argue about weightlifting and I will stop monopolizing this thread with my ramblings."

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2013

I run on the treadmill for 60 minutes (6 to 7 mph, Incline of at least 4%) at the gym. But, I MUCH prefer to run outside especially in the Fall/early Winter since I am not a fan of running in hot weather and I can run for longer outside. The gym kills me in regards to boredom.

Everything else I do at home (muscle building exercises).

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2013

I do at home work outs, pretty much daily...either a half hour on recumbent bike , running or kettle bell work out.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2013

I start with weights .... then move to use a variety of cardio equipment ....... And finally alternate between sauna room and steam room .......... By that time it's Happy Hour..........

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2013

I have to build back up again (been going to a weight lifting power class to do this), but I was doing about 45 minutes of starting strength program:
    deadlifts
    bench presses
    squats

Then, about 20-30 minutes of running.

18. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 22, 2013

I don't do much strength training myself, only because I don't really feel I need it. I still do a bit weekly and try to work it into my routine but not as much as cardio/yoga.

I work out everyday except Saturday. Saturday is the one day a week I give myself to rest.

Here's what my week looks like:

Monday- 6am-7am hot yoga class. Some mornings I wake up at 5am and have a thirty minute run (normally MTW with the run, since I like to sleep late). After school I do 45 minutes of cardio and the I have a one hour pilates class at the same site. (So it works out- less than two hours at the gym and I am home by 6!)

Tuesday- repeat, same as above

Wed- Same as above

Thursday- Vinyasa Flow Yoga 6am-7am, I don't do a run but after school I do my strength training in a 45 minute session. I do my pilates for a hour.

Friday- Same thing as above, but I try to do forest yoga this day, but I do switch it up.

Sat- Off day.

Sunday- No work out, though I do wake up, have tea, then take a nice, long jog if the weather permits it. I have pilates and yoga for two hours since on Sundays I get a private session with my favorite trainers.

I'm curvy so being fit is important to me. I LOVE working out. And yoga is just so freeing/relaxing/mind-blowingly wonderful.

Also where I attend yoga they have massages so I try to sneak those in too ;)

For a while I tried just going to the gym, doing crunches, etc. But all that crap made me miserable. So I just started researching other ways to exercise/improve health and I made up my own plan and it works for me :) Seven years and I'm still having fun with it.