what's 1st on your list?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by km51571, Aug 14, 2009.

1. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 14, 2009

what's first on your to do list when you finally get back into your classroom to start prepping for the new school year? i can finally get into my room on monday (the 17th) and we have in-service starting the 24th and then the kids come back on the 31st! :whistle: where to start!?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

Put up the fabric and borders on my bboards. It makes things look nice and gets me back in the swing of things.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

I do this, plus arrange all the furniture how I want it, and organize my teaching materials and student supplies.

Next, I dig out my August/Sept. folder and make copies of everything I'll need. I'll plan out my first week or 2.

Then I write all my Back-to-School stuff. Welcome letter, transportation form, etc.

The last thing I do is label things with student names, because often the roster will change 3-4 times in the weeks before school begins. I label folders, files, nametags, etc.

Last year, I actually made a list of things I did to get ready as I did them, and typed it up into a checklist this year. Let me tell you, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself! It's helped me remember everything and keep myself organized. My room is ready to go and I have all next week to plan instead of stressing. And I'm free to take care of any last minute changes as well as help the new teachers on my team.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

When I can get in my room, the first thing I am going to do is arrange my furniture. Then I am going to set up my desk and computer and go through my files. After that I will finish my bulletin boards. I also want to make my center signs and put them into be laminated. Letters home to parents and classroom expectation sheet need to be made and then I will assemble their folders, notebooks and work bins.

So much to do!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

I need to put paper up on my bulletin boards. I need to do all of the customizing, now that I have my class list. Names on folders, cubbies, tables, the welcome chart, etc.

I did a lot of set up in my room right after school got out, so I have very little to do now, thank goodness!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

My custodians have already put all the furniture in place. When I go in, I'll unpack my supply order and put it away, unwrap BBs and bookshelves (covered with paper for summer), hook up my computers and then start with name tags, labels, and back to school BB. Shouldn't take too long.

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I got back into my classroom this past Monday. I moved the low key furniture then. On Tuesday, I made my husband come in and move the heavy stuff (computer tables, long tables, my desk) around because the custodians leave them up on their sides. Then I moved the desks into somewhat of the formation I wanted.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2009

I've spent a couple of hours in my room, but the first thing I'm going to do next week is try and track down the new computer I was promised. My old one is completely disconnected and I don't want to put it all back together if I'm still getting the new one!

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

No one else cleans?? Besides the floors, our custodians do nada, so I will rearrange furniture and clean for the first day- I also love opening our school order, it is like Christmas! After that, all the secretarial things- names on everything, bulletin boards, copies, etc.

11. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

In Hawaii the kids came back to school on August 3rd, so we've already been in school for 2 weeks. The teachers had to go back into their classrooms in mid-July to prepare. Enjoy the last days of your summer vacation ladies and gentlemen!

12. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I've got an entirely new classroom/curriculum this year, so lesson planning is A-1 for me. Then I'll get to work with organization:eek:

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

The first thing that I am going to do is to rearrange my furniture including desks, shelves, and such! After that, I am going to set-up my aquarium. Then, I will unpack all my copy boxes for the upcoming year. We will not get our classlists until late "this week", if we are lucky. Our PD starts on Monday (the 24th) and school on Wednesday (26th) with students.

14. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

Wow-you don't get a lot of official time at your school. 2 days...yikes! I was in my room all this week and I am almost finished. I think one more day will do it. I have to take on the daunting task of organizing 2 file cabinets, the cubbies under the kids cabinets (full of math manipulatives, etc.), and organize my centers. They were in such a hurry for us to get out at the end of the year, I had to just cram a lot of stuff in the file cabinets. I already got to do some planning with my team this week. I had stuff saved from last year, so for reading we're set. I already wrote a 1st week lesson plan for math. Another team mate is picking up with wk. 2. We are going to a new program...but my time liked the plan, so good there. Then 1 of my other team mates will write writing and another writing Social Studies. So not too much left to do and we have 5 workdays starting Tuesday.