Whatdo you like better? Comments on Report cards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Matt633, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Our school still has handwritten comments on the back of the report cards? (Private School) Do you? And if not, what do you use and do you like it?

We are thinking of trying to ask for our report cards to be changed and I want to know the pros and cons, besides the obvious that personal comments allow you to be more specific but we really feel that if we have to be that specific we are already talking with the parent regarding the specific challenge.

3. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I'm not sure what we are doing this year because we just switched to a computerized system. But in the past I always made labels because I am way better at typing than at writing. I just put a copy on the one going home and on the final copy. We also had to be very specific about strengths and weaknesses.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

We have a comment section, but what we write in it is up to us. Sometimes, I really don't have anything to say in the 2nd and 3rd MPs for my really good kids, so I'll put a smiley face or just write "awesome" or "keep up the terrific work".

When I write a negative thing, I make sure I put a positive thing first.

5. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Sep 13, 2008

We do comments, except for the 1st report card because it's the parent conference. I use address label stickers for my comments. One goes on teh report card to be sent home and one goes on the permanent record copy.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I think comments are important. We have gone to a computerized system, but we just type our comments in. I like that I can say personal things about students that aren't covered in the graded categories and can be very specific about what students are doing well and what they need more work on.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

I agree comments are important. Especially for elementary school... though I'm not sure what you teach Matt. I think it tells a parent a lot more than what a grade might tell them.

I have seen a change in report cards as I've looked through a number of Cumulative Records which contain past reports. My job now requires me to review CRs, and often when I look at a Kindergarten report card from three or four years ago it says "Johnny has learned his letters, and his numbers and has learned about the concept of one less and one more this term"... this tells the parent absolutely nothing. We have been encouraged to tell parents exactly how their student is doing, and not just WHAT the student is doing... there has been a vast improvement in the past few years. I know it's a pain, but imo comments are the most important part of a report card. (Until High School when marks are the most important part!)

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

We have a computerized system, but we have standardized comments or we type in comments. Sometimes the standard comments are nice. I like to use them for midterms, and type in comments for end of trimester grades.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 13, 2008

We can either chose premade comments or type up our own. Personally, I use the premades and then onto them with personal comments. When its my last term with that student I always write my comments personally.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 13, 2008

You wouldn't believe our report cards! they are narratives, and are probably about 3-4 pages of comments ONLY! We do it twice a year. By the spring conference my report card for each child is about 8 pages. It must take about 4 hours of time on each child. There are sections for social/emotional, creative interests, fine/gross motor, literacy, math, science and focus areas.

We are trying to adapt our narratives somewhat so they include some standards and more skill based content for each child, because right now it's all based on what the teacher chooses to report on.

We also do a year end summary which is about 3/4 of a page. Here is a sample:

J is an exuberant, verbal and athletic eight-year old. J came to X School uncertain and somewhat nervous about her new school. As time passed, she became an integral member of the group. She is a thoughtful participant in classroom activities and has great knowledge to share about the world. J loves to be the leader, and learned a great deal about the responsibility it takes to lead well this year, as she worked to help create a jump rope team with her classmates. While there were many ups and downs in this process, J learned skills that will help her develop into a strong community leader. She learned patience, acceptance and compromise. J continues to work on accepting and understanding all of her peers, especially the ones she is not closest to. This has been challenging for J, but she has developed a sense of respect for other people in the class, even those she finds difficult to work with. It can be difficult for J to contain her feelings and they show on her face, whether she is happy, frustrated or angry.

J is a confident student. She enjoys a challenge and will push herself to the next level. She is curious and hardworking. She has really grown this year in her mathematical skills. She has been able to take her great abstract problem solving abilities and apply them to concrete activities in math. J also continues to develop her skills as a writer. J's writing is vivid and descriptive and full of rich detail. She brings the reader into her world with the images she creates on paper. This is a real area of strength for J. More of a challenge for J is the mechanics of writing. Continued work on spelling, grammar and handwriting would be beneficial. She has learned cursive this year, which is legible and neat when she uses it. She is encouraged to transition to using cursive a majority of the time, as it is easier for others to read.

It has been a wonderful year with J in our classroom community. Her enthusiasm for school is valued and appreciated and it has been a privilege to guide her as a learner. We look forward to seeing her grow and thrive as she continues at X School next year.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2008

I feel sorry for you, Miss Froggy! I would hate that!

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

I am required to do progress reports twice a year that are written summaries in the areas of development, and am alos required to do full evaluation reports twice a year--mineis like a report card ( its four pages folded in half divided into check lists for each section of development. Progress reports go home in Novemeber and march. Evaluations go home in January and June.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

Both types have comments

14. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I have always done handwritten comments for the last twenty something years.

In this school we have to write a progress report every quarter for any child who has and D or F grade.

Our problem is, we are departmentalized and it is going to be very hard to organize.

I teach Math/Bible and Handwriting to 2nd, 3rd/4th combo & 5th grade.

Because we are departmentalized I am thing we should go to a grade like C2A = academic/effort/conduct---but still unsure of how to write comment when we are seeing that a child acts one way for me and another for teacher B. To organize comments between the three teachers would be very time consuming.

And Ms Froggy I would hate having that job, for some children it would be easy, but I always have those one or two that the comments just don't flow.

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

perhaps each teacher could have a seperate page for each child and that way youwould each have your own space to write comments--I knowo this was very helpful to us (my DH, DD and myself) when she was in middle school--as she had issues with ADHD and Bi Polar and we were able to figure out that her medicine wasn't long acting enough because all the comments from her morning classes were good and each of her afternoon classes got progressivly worse---it was a life saver (literally as she had to be taken to the ER for suicide threats due to her giving up and being so frustrated with herself that she thought she was a bad person and the world woudl be better off without her)---I am happy to report that she is now almost 22, finishing up her degree in veterinary technology and married now for almost a year! The year they did the report card with each teaccher doing their own section for each child they had was really the turning point for her and I really do believe that the doctors being able to read through all the comments and get a clearer picture of how she was doing througout the course of the day was instrumental in them getting her onthe right medicine to allow her to function to the best of her potential. I knw asa teacher, it's a lot of work , and it can be ar eal pain to organize, but as a mom I know too that it can be an indispensable tool for advocating for a child.

16. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2008

I teach middle school, so each teacher types in comments for each child. They print out on the report card.

My daughter is in elementary school in the same district. Each teacher that has her (even the specials) has their own space to write comments on her report card. The comments are important and tell me much more than the checks and plusses do.