WHAT'D YA THINK: JUNGLE OR ZOO THEME

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2006

Hi everyone,
    as you all know, I got the 2nd grade position. :D Anyways, I am up late and trying to decide finally on a theme for my room. I think I want to do a wild, jungle or zoo theme. The whole idea sounds cute!!!:p Can anyone give me some fun and interesting ideas on how to incorporate a jungle or zoo theme for my kids?? I would love ideas on how to name each area of the room using a catchy phrase. So far I got:
    "Manners, Not Monkey Business" for my behavior chart
    "The Lion's Den" for the reading area
    ........but those are just some thoughts. Can any of you help me with this. I need to go out and start empting my pockets on classroom supplies fast:p :thanks: !!!!

3. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

In the classroom pictures thread someone had a cute BB that said "We're Bananas for Good Books." There are also some sute BB set that you can buy. I've seen one with monkeys driving jeeps that is really cute and I bought one called "We're Wild about..." It has wild animals doing different things.

4. Youngteacher226

Aug 8, 2006

Can you tell me where you found these cute BB sets??? Maybe I have the store in my area. :p

5. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Wild About Writing or Wild About Reading or maybe something else. I bought this great poster for my reading area from Really Good Stuff a couple of years ago. It has lots of wild animals on it and at the bottom it reads, "Lions, Tigers, and Books...Oh My!"
    Oriental Trading used to sell these cute animal print (zebra, cheetah, and tiger) pillows. They may still carry them. I think you got 3 pillows for $9.99. I remember ordering six of them.
    For outside your door: Welcome to our class...It's a jungle in here! I'll keep thinking of other ideas. I basically only did this theme for the reading area. Like you I thought it was too cute to resist.

6. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Hi there,
    I am doing a jungle theme also, and had posted asking for some help but only one person responded.
    However, I have been all over the web trying to get some info on this.
    Here is what I have come up with:
    my bb board says "At Home In the Wild" with a big palm tree from Carson Delosa on the other side it will say We're Swinging Into Second Grade with monkeys I put together swinging from vines with t shirts and caps on (student names on these) at the bottom it has the different jungle animals from the border peeking out of the grass
    I used the jungle border from creative teaching press throughout my room
    My center sign will say "Today's Jungle Safari"
    Lion's Den=Reading Center
    Word Safari=Word Zone
    Tour the Jungle=Read the Room(they will use a pith hat/binoculars)
    Tiger Tunes=Listening Center
    ? =Art Center
    ? =Overhead Center
    Parrot Point=Computer Center

Top Banana/Top Toucan(not sure yet)=Student of the Week
    Spotted Good Helpers/Jungle Jobs/Jobs of the Jungle(not sure yet)=Helper Board

I made valances for my windows in zebra print fabric (Walmart)-I found zebra print tables at Roses on clearance for $5.00 each-I brought 2 I also found a giraffe and tiger(leather-just for decoration) at Family Dollar-I put them on each side of the lamp on the book shelf
    I had the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree and book that I put on one table
    I also found a small elephant lamp also on clearance at Roses for
    $5.00
    My behavior board says "No Monkeying Around" it has a big monkey swing on a vine holding a banana each student has a monkey with a library pocket to hold their bananas

I found my bb sets at the teacher store
    creative teaching press-Rain Forest Welcome; jungle cut outs; and It's a Jungle Out There

My front door has the welcome sign from the BB set with a monkey in a jeep and a palm tree and each student will have a pith hat with their name on it and a pair of binoculars

I also used small animal shapes; giraffe, lion, elephant, tiger (Shapes etc.) to make my calendar pieces for patterning

I hope this helps
    If I need to explain something better just let me know

7. Youngteacher226

Aug 8, 2006

WoW!!!!! Thanks alot Pooh42!!!:D I have to go back through all of it and read it a couple more times to see what I may want to use. Thanks alot. I am a first year teacher and I have an idea of what I want my classroom to look like, but I haven't really gotten experience with where to buy this stuff. THanks.:thanks: :p