What You Learned in High School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Koriemo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 26, 2015

After reading the post about what you wish you had learned in high school, I became curious about what you learned in high school that you are glad you learned. What do you still use today?

Many things we teach in high school don't stick with us past college. I believe that the process of learning is beneficial even if the content is not practical. I also think that small pieces of understanding are built, and while we may not be able to trace how we learned something back to a specific class, the class probably contributed to our understanding in some way. But besides these things- what things did you learn in high school that you still find beneficial today? What things did you learn that you are glad you learned? What things do you remember from your high school classes?

Science: I remember learning about genetics in biology, and I still use this knowledge today. In Chemistry, we had to read a book about science and I chose "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. He is now one of my favorite authors, and I learned so much from that book.

English: My tenth grade English teacher taught me how to write. I learned grammar and the structure of language. I'm sure we read books that I'm glad I read, but learning how to write is my main take away. Also, vocabulary.

Spanish: I took 4 years of Spanish and it definitely comes in handy

Math: I'm glad I learned about geometry, but I can't remember anything specifically.

History: I learned American history pretty thoroughly. Though I couldn't free recall much of it, I can readily bring to mind most of it when I'm prompted by something else. I don't think I learned much in my other history courses.

Art: I took an art appreciation class that actually made me appreciate art. Much of the class consisted of us watching videos of artists explaining their work and why they create art. I am not artistically inclined, and I feel like I have a much better grasp of the purpose of art.

And I suppose the other side of this question is what do you think you shouldn't have spent time learning in high school? Is there anything that you consider a "waste of time" looking back?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 26, 2015

I know that they all say you should have a well rounded education. Sometimes I think if they had students take classes in high school geared towards their future majors in college it might be more beneficial than taking a lot of classes you'll never need or use. I remember having to sit through chemistry and physics and just be bored to death when I would have loved to take more English electives since I knew I was going to major in English in college.

4. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jan 26, 2015

Interesting, I am sure you will get many differing opinions there. I like having high school still be about getting a well-rounded education and trying things out. I wasn't going to take physics my senior year, but my AP bio teacher spoke to every non-senior student individually about their plans for next year in terms of science since the school had a few options. When I said I wasn't going to take physics, he asked me to reconsider for a multitude of reasons. I ended up being a physics major in college, and the guy's advice changed my life.

On the other hand, I see your point, there is no way an art class could ever hold my attention. I don't have the manual dexterity to create anything near art.

Going back to the topic at hand, I appreciate what I learned from all of the core subjects: science, history, math, English, and world language (Spanish)....

As I am still an aspiring teacher, I don't use the Math and Science directly very often, but they helped my critical thinking and my ability to not get flustered by something I don't yet understand.

I don't use my knowledge of history beyond bar trivia, but I enjoy learning about it.

Spanish is handy.

English taught me a lot about how to write properly and effectively (don't count forum posts please). Unfortunately, it did not introduce me to things I enjoy reading. I never enjoyed Tess of the d'Ubervilles, Wuthering Heights, The Grapes of Wrath, etc. They were torture for me. I always enjoyed adventure stories, and I wish we read more of those.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 26, 2015

I think learning in HS is more about "learning how to learn" than the content.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2015

Curiosity and love of learning were the two things that I absolutely learned in high school. I was inspired, encouraged, and engaged. It didn't matter the subject - there is always something to learn for those who are looking. In short, my journey of being a life long learner started in that school, and I have been forever grateful.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2015

Hmm I feel like a lot of the "non academic" lessons I learned are hard to measure or even explain. But at the same time I think I learned more "non academic" lessons in college.

Anyway...I think a lot of what I learned in history classes has stuck with me because 1. I was most interested in it. 2. I teach some of it to my students in a way that they can understand but not a way that is too wishy washy or watered down. For example we're learning about the American Revolution and we discussed the French and Indian War and how that lead to all of the taxation and the role of the French in the war and many things that my students now fully understand but no one ever explained to me until I was in at least middle school if not college. English I think the idea of how to write a paper and use a thesis statement and things along those lines. Again, they are things that I teach to my students now in an age appropriate way, things I didn't learn until high school but my students are getting an basis in it now.

Science and math....most of that is gone.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 26, 2015

I learned a lot of really great academic things, but mostly I learned how to deal with people. People I liked, people I didn't like, people I needed things from, people to avoid.

Academically, I really enjoyed most of my classes and still use that knowledge, but specifically I remember as a senior dropping a completely worthless Psychology class (that would have been an easy A) to take a much harder bookkeeping class. I still earned an A, but I had to actually work for it, and I still use those skills every month.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 26, 2015

No one ever says this, but I'm glad I learned algebra because it taught me to think critically and logically. Before algebra math was the biggest, muddiest, mess. Most recently I used it to calculate my projected salary for next year using the new formula the district and union settled on.