What Writing Program do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ali, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Ali

Ali Companion

Feb 3, 2014

Our district is at a loss as far as writing is concerned, except what is included in our Reading series. What Writing Program do you use? Do you love it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2014

We follow a writing workshop philosophy. No 'packaged program', although Heinemann as some great units of study aligned with the workshop philosophy and CCSS.

4. Pinky12

Pinky12 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014

Our district also follows Lucy Caulkins' Writer's Workshop philosophy, but does not give us any guidance into how to actually apply it. They tell us what we should be teaching when, but how you actually teach and apply the philosophy is totally up to you. I use Writer's Workshop time for the "big stuff"- narrative, persuasive and informative writing, and use centers time for smaller writing tasks such letters, poetry, etc. I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest, and highly recommend that you look around, because there are some great ideas out there.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Feb 4, 2014

We use Literature Based Writing from Mt. Hood Press. Since starting this program, I have loved teaching writing. My students love to write and think of themselves as writers. This program is a technique that is applied to your reading texts. Students imitate certain aspects of their author's style. This is especially good with teaching kids to write strong non-fiction essays.

There is a place on their website with special school pricing.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 4, 2014

We use Being a Writer.

7. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 4, 2014

The best I've used are:
    Step Up to Writing Program
    6 + 1 Traits of Writing

8. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy Rookie

Feb 26, 2014

My daughter's school uses beestar. She likes it, interesting stories and cute pictures. The honor rolls is an additional incentive.
    Lisa