What would your other Career be?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by HMM, Jul 16, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Other than teacher (still waiting for that to happen)

I would be a child psychologist working probono with abused and neglected kids. I was 1/2 through my master's when I quit...

Next--could I be a stay at home mom??

2. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

This is exactly the kind of therapist I would want to be. Sorry to hear you quit -- did it end up being too heart-wrenching? I can understand if it did.

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I'd be an artist... creating all day long...

A stay at home mother..

Fashion designer...

Style consultant..

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

It's interesting so many are interested in some form of anthropology. I was very interested in physical anthropology and then, after hearing Zahi Hawass(from Egypt) speak at my college, was ready to become an Egyptologist, but stuck with teaching. Still visit any Egyptian exhibit within a few hundred miles:)

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

Ohhhhh my retirement plan is to open up and run my own doggy daycare!

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

One of the main reasons is I spoke with a colleague and she said the thing that kept her up at night was not the ones she had helped and their stories but the ones she couldn't. I just decided it wasn't the best career choice for me--I would have internalized and kept hold of everything.

In college I worked at a home for severly abused and neglected girls, reading their bios was horrible. The things they had survived, horrible things their "loved ones" had done to them and then to watch as they waited anxiously for these people to come visit or not show was devastating.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 17, 2009

I work in a site school where about 90% of the students have bios like that.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

A statistician working for a NASCAR team. Or even just a statistician.

Or own a children's book store. Or a regular book store.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I also wanted to add to this. I secretly would like to be an actress!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

I would probably move to Nashville and be a songwriter. I have written a lot of songs, but never wanted to perform or record. I would write songs for other people to record. Got one for Faith Hill right now!

11. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

Researcher

dog trainer (dogs that help people with special needs)

songwriter and maybe a modest singer

artist (after taking a lot of painting classes!)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2009

Retired.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

Upsadaisy - you are too funny. :lol:

Freelance photographer, writer, fashion designer

I studied Psych in college and also wanted to work as a counselor with children. I did an internship at a drug/alcohol rehab for adolescents. Decided it was not for me. It wasn't the trauma they had been through - I thought I was strong enough to handle that. It was the red tape, the social workers sending them back to abusive families because their case "wasn't that bad" or the insurance companies saying we won't pay anymore for their treatment. You knew these kids where going to get back out there and start drinking or doing drugs again and probably end up in jail or dead. That's the part I couldn't handle-not having any control over what happened to them on the outside.

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

I can definitely understand this. It would be the same for me -- the people I know I can't help, and knowing what it's like when the services fail. Having been on both sides of the issue, I probably would have been too burdened by such a career. I have a hard time not internalizing the cases I hear about as is.

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

Very funny. :lol:

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

TV chef

Most recently, anything for NASA or Space Camp, in the education department. I would love to be some sort of outreach coordinator, bringing the space program to rural areas.

Either develop my own or work for a company that has a really good professional development. Something like Quantum Learning, or Write Tools. I love to travel, and working with excited teachers would be cool.

17. Butler's Bunch

Butler's Bunch Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Lawyer

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

Probably an actuary or accountant.

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

Upsadaisy, by the time you retire I will be spending at least half my time in FL......

To keep you from getting bored we can start a business of returning renegrade 'gators from backyards to their more natural habitat in the swamps......:lol::lol::lol:

I retired in my early 50's..... I had done it all..... so all I did was play hard (I play harder than anyone you will ever know).... Then it was suggested by a teacher friend that I try "teaching part time"...... I thought she was crazy. I hadn't been in a public school building in decades.....:):):)... Now it's in my blood and my new one or two day a week job (it's really fun to me) is teaching. I love it....

Besides, my wife watches a lot of DIY (do it yourself network) and comes up with too many "honey do" ideas....... I'm soooooo ready for school to start.... so I can say "Gee, hon I'd love to help but I need to prepare for advanced calculus class tomorrow"..... :D:D

So tell me Upsadaisy when you are ready to wrestle the 'gators??...........:lol::lol:

Major......:)

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2009

Well, I'll be down to part-time free-lancing as a tutor this year. I guess that means I'll be free to alligator wrestle half time.

It's actually the released iguanas that are troubling lots of areas now. Some are huge.

Every good wife has to keep a honey-do list!

21. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 18, 2009

I always wanted to work with Jim Henson and the Muppets. Something creative. When I was 9, I seriously considered becoming a professional rollerskater....

Lately, I thought I probably should have followed my interests and became a child psychiatrist...