What would your former students say about you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, Aug 25, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

I was asked this in a recent interview and thought it was a wonderful question.....

"If we were to contact your former students...what would they say about you?"

I think this goes BEYOND content learning (what do you remember from your ___ class with Mr/Ms ____?)...and it goes beyond the impact you had on them (she taught me how to find the answers). But what would they say about YOU...you as a teacher, you as a person?

Good Question.

What's your answer?

(side note...If you haven't reached a point where you are satisfied with yourself and your teaching style: what would you LIKE their answer to one day be?)

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

My answer was this.

They would say that I am enthusiastic, energetic, and passionate. I believed in the power of education and knowledge, I believed in what I was teaching, and I believed in THEM!

They would say that no matter how many students were in the class (I think back to when I taught my Christmas shows...and having placed the 350 students on the stage, stairs, and pouring out onto the floor for the finale...I would stand back in AWE at how many students I had truly been working with.) - no matter how BUSY the class became - no matter how much the "team" mattered...that I cared about their INDIVIDUAL success above all else. that I knew EACH of them, and THEY mattered to me. (I think of it like having a parent..and though there are siblings around, and you would never admit it to your other siblings..you always thought mom loved you best.)

Yes...that's my answer.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

They would say, she believed in me when nobody else would! I got an email from a former student and she said that I was like an aunt to her. Then she continued by saying that she hoped her saying that didn't "creep" me out or anything.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 25, 2009

I'm looking at a letter a student handed to me on my last day of student teaching. He wrote, "Thank you for helping me succeed in showing my Self that I am and be the best I can be. You made that happen."

That last sentence has an arrow that points to a huge smiley face that takes up most of the paper.

I wish a letter like that on every teacher in this forum.

6. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I've only been teaching a year, so I hope to impact a lot more students, but here's what I know my first year kids would say about me:

She made sure to say something to each and every one of us each day. She knew what was going on in our lives. She was funny and silly. She was always misplacing things :) She read us wonderful, beautiful, and funny stories, and she loved us. Oh, and she turned the old ugly, small, and dull Spanish room into a colorful and cozy and warm classroom.

(All of these were said by my students in letters to my new group coming up. They made my day!)

7. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Needless to say, I'm trying to be a little more organized this year!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

I ran into one at the wedding Saturday night.. she was at the same reception hall attending a party for her dad.I taught Danielle in 7th grade; she's now entering 10th.

When I told her there was a chance she might be in one of my 2 Sophomore Honors class, her response was "YES!!!!" Then she re-introduced me to her parents. (Figures, I had a glass of champagne in my hand at the time :) )

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

I was the lucky recipient of lots of "memories" this past June from the graduating grade 8 class--I had taught many of them in grade 5 then worked with them again in 8. Some of the highlights of what they'll remember: my laugh, that I always cared about them, that I always made time to listen to them, that I liked to have fun, I was like their mom at school, and, the true gem, "She made me who I am today because she never gave up on me".

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

Several years ago, a student of mine was on the playground (near the end of the school year) playing with a child in the grade below who would be coming up. The younger child asked my student, "Is Ms. So and So mean?" (referring to me) My little student said, "She's really nice but you have to do what she says. If you don't, then she gets mean, but it's your fault." I thought that was cute.

11. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I realize this isn't what you were talking about, but a former student (from my first year at this school 4 years ago) came to our Open House last night. She has grown about 7 inches since she was in my class, so when she came up to me her first comment was "You got shorter!" I tried to explain that she was getting taller so I only seemed shorter, but as she walked away I heard her tell the girl she was with "She really did get short." I just had to chuckle.

12. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

Of the kids in the daycare I work at, I have heard good things about me from parents and other teachers. Beyond that, when I'm in own classroom, I hope the kids say things about me that equal what you all have said!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

I think mine would say she was fun & silly. They would also say that I can't believe she remembers our names. (I had a couple say that to me...I can tell you I got stuck on a boys name, but I had 3 that all started with C's & they were all close to the same name). They would proably say she made learning fun & being in her class was really fun. (I had a few say that to me when I was in school & we'd see the other class being "quiet learners" & we were learning a little more loudly!! LOL!!!

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2009

I called one of my parents from last year yesterday because she has decided to put her daughter in kindergarten this month instead of repeating pre-k (a good decision). I called to wish them luck, etc. and her daughter picked up the other line so I spoke with her, too. As she was hanging up I heard her tell her older brothers (who I also had) "Mrs. S. loves me!" If that is what she remembers, I am happy with that.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 26, 2009

My former students have said, and I hope they will continue to say that "She's funny and she makes learning fun. Only if you behave though because she can be mean!" hahahahahahaha

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

That's what else my students will remember--that I loved them and would go to the wall for them if they were being treated unfairly.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

Two of my former students came to visit me today.(it is a teacher work day). I was so surprised, and so happy. The boys said that as they start high school tomorrow, they remember all the fun they had in my classroom, and how I made learning so easy for them! Both boys said that they have had some teachers in middle school close to being their favorite, but I was, and still am, their favorite teacher, hands down.
    (yes, it brought tears to my eyes).
    Alice, you have commented on my post about wanting to give up teaching. After this visit-I have remembered what I teach for!

18. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 26, 2009

I hope they say I'm nice. :D That's what a boy has told me this year at least.

Same student asked me yesterday---"Do you get mean when you go home?" :lol: