What would you think if...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skyline, May 4, 2019.

1. skyline

skyline Companion

May 4, 2019

Your co-teacher closed out all your computer tabs for use during an hour-long language arts block that was being formally evaluated? Sent home "your" documentation of student work that needed to be submitted to administration? Makes passive-aggressive remarks that bashes your way of doing things instead of being up front.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 4, 2019

I would not like it at all. I would NEVER want a co-teacher as I don’t need an assistant. I teach classes with anywhere from 32-36 students this year and I have been getting along just fine on my own.

It would really grind my gears if I had a snarky colleague undermining me at every turn and messing with my desk and computer setup. And they would quickly draw my ire if they did not cease and desist at once!

skyline and otterpop like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2019

How insecure is that co-teacher that you are such a threat?! I certainly would discuss the situation and make it clear to that other teacher that the next time they interfere with your job, you will go to the powers that be and do something about it. And....then I would pray that I don't have to work with that teacher next year!!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 5, 2019

Get a lock password for your computer and don't share it with said co-teacher. EVER.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. skyline

skyline Companion

May 5, 2019

She acted like she didn't realize she was sending home documentation that there's no way I can see how she wouldn't know. She was there for it every step of the way, and knew those were papers that needed submitted. She didn't "think" when she closed the tabs.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. futuremathsprof

May 5, 2019

I’ve noticed that she doesn’t think very much. It seems to be her defining quality.

SpecialPreskoo and otterpop like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 5, 2019

It could go either way. Maybe these were truly accidents, or maybe they weren't. Some precautionary work would be good too. Keep any important papers in a properly labeled folder (SAVE - DOCUMENTATION) and lock your computer when you're away, or give her a heads up if you have important pages up. Do you both share a computer?

9. skyline

skyline Companion

May 5, 2019

Yes, it's a shared computer. She was there when I set up the computer for the lessons and participated in it, so she knew they were tabs for what I was teaching.

And, I got the student work documentation out of my folder for only a few students, because I had to do further work with those ones, which we talked about it. I don't see how she wouldn't know it was the work I needed to submit. She was there when I taught it, and we had talked about the whole thing. She saw all my materials. Nothing she's done looks like those papers. How could she not know?

10. skyline

skyline Companion

May 6, 2019

That's what I thought. The frequency at which she engages in behavior that involves not thinking about actions that sabotage my work seems to be a pattern that keeps occurring.

11. skyline

skyline Companion

May 7, 2019

Thanks for responding! I've taken it as a threat! I believe she's using passive-aggressive methods to interfere with my job. But, I don't think I can prove it. She's very charming and convincing, kisses up to administration, and volunteers for a lot of extras. She knows how to work people and the system.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  12. skyline

skyline Companion

May 8, 2019

My materials are being moved (more like hidden). She often forgets to tell me important information, and springs things on me, causing a lot of stress and scrambling. Then, she acts like she thought she told me. She's making comments about me and my teaching (passive-aggressively) that suggests there's something wrong with me. It seems like she's gaslighting me.

13. futuremathsprof

May 8, 2019

Document and report her. It sounds like she is doing things purposefully.

otterpop likes this.
  14. skyline

skyline Companion

May 8, 2019

Thank you! Yes, I've been documenting, and have mentioned what's been happening to administration. She explains it away quite convincingly. I'm new and lower on the totem pole than her, so that doesn't help.

15. futuremathsprof

May 8, 2019

Yes, but mention the passive-aggressive comments and her seemingly sabotaging you again and again. Once or twice is very different than a regular “accidental” occurrence.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  16. skyline

skyline Companion

May 8, 2019

I hope this all works out! It's hard to believe that someone would do such things and last that long in the same job with these type of problems. But, she hasn't had a co-teacher in the past. I hope I don't end up looking like the one off their hinges or my truthfulness comes into question with how she's worked everything. It also came to light she was questioning my capabilities to do the job to at least one of the powers that be at the school.

17. futuremathsprof

May 8, 2019

This bode wells for her trying to undermine your credibility and what seems like your credentials.

18. skyline

skyline Companion

May 8, 2019

I'm going to think on how to move forward with speaking up about what's happening. From what I've reported so far (clear-cut, concrete details of a few things), such as her not giving me access to required materials, was not addressed properly. I had asked her numerous times for access to curriculum materials, but she refused to allow me to borrow them. She locked away the teacher's manuals. She keeps changing the content to be taught last minute also. I've reported these things after trying to solve it myself. Crickets, then finally an admin asked her to give me access, but that took me being very direct about what I needed that person to do. She ended up turning that on me. I need to move on from there regardless!

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 9, 2019

She seems like a real whackadoodle!! At least it's almost the end of the year and you can be rid of her! I would be frustrated that your complaints weren't dealt with in a more timely manner by admit or whoever is in charge.

skyline likes this.
  20. futuremathsprof

May 9, 2019

You could almost say she is being a “lazy bump on a pickle.” :D

skyline likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 10, 2019

YUP :toofunny:

22. skyline

skyline Companion

May 10, 2019

LOL...whackadoodle and bump on a pickle fit.

Last edited: May 14, 2019