What would you think? Do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 12, 2015

I interviewed for a Special Ed. position (2nd round) last Thursday. There were two positions opened and I believe I was 1/5 people interviewing for it. The secretary told me to bring a copy of my certifications and updated TB test results when I was coming in for the interview. I totally forgot to ask when they were making a final decision by. But at the end of the interview one of the people on the panel said that the board meeting is the 19th so I'll know about the job on the 20th.

From previous jobs, I know they offer you the position before the board meeting so I was confused. I haven't heard from them since Thursday at the interview. Should I call and ask?

A day before this interview I was offered an instructional aide position in another district (decent salary (more then subbing) and benefits). I said yes but was thinking this would be plan B (plan A was going to be the job I interviewed for that I just previously wrote about).

I'm just being impatient. I would like to know either way in regards to the Special. Ed. teaching position. I would feel bad bailing out last minute in the district that offered me the aide position if I were to be hired in the other district for the teaching position.

Thoughts? Ideas?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

It's always been my experience that they offer the job to the person before the board meeting. I'm confused about that.

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I'm not sure about your region and districts around you but if you are looking for any special ed TEACHING job, I think you will get them. Generally I find districts will take applications for special ed teachers year round because of people quitting all the time.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

Go on the aide interview. if you are the candidate they want to hire, you would typically know before the board meeting. They said you will know by the 20th because they hedge their bets in case the first choice doesn't pan out, they would want to be able to call the other candidates they interviewed.
    If you get offered the aide position you could call Plan A school and tell them you have an offer but would prefer to work at their school...they should let you know then whether you are still in the running or whether you should accept the aide job.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2015

It's always good to ask about hiring timelines when interviewing. I totally understand getting nervous and forgetting though- just try to keep it in mind for the future! Every district will do things their own way, but I can't imagine they'd wait until after board approval to tell someone they have the job, especially if the board meeting is a few weeks after the interview. Have your references been contacted? If it's been a week and your references weren't called, I'd assume I didn't get the position if it were me:sorry:. You can always send an e-mail and double check, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Like a PP said, they probably told you that you would hear for sure by the 20th so that they can contact candidates next in line just in case something falls through with the top choice candidate.

Any chance you are willing to relocate? We haven't been able to fill the open sped position at my school. I live in Denver though, lol. We are looking at starting with a sub :(. I think at this point we're so desperate that anyone who applied would pretty much be guaranteed the position, unless they just said something really awful or offensive in their interview.

7. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 14, 2015

Thanks guys. I think I might call them Monday to see whether I got it or not so I know 100% my destination will be plan b: the instructional aide position....I still hope I get this teaching job though :/ eh! So frustrating!