What Would You Say Is The Hardest Core Subject To Teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Mar 31, 2011.

?

What Subject Is The Hardest To Teach?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2011.
  1. Math

41.2%
  2. English

29.4%
  3. Social Studies

8.8%
  4. Science

20.6%
  1. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

What CORE Subject is the hardest to teach?
    (Math, English, Social Studies, Science)

IN GENERAL Not just in Middle or High School

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

For me, personally, the hardest core subject to teach would be social studies because I'm not certified to teach it and wouldn't feel comfortable teaching it.

Plus, it's hard to teach a subject you don't really care for!

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

SS and SCI because they're not tested and most students aren't getting taught these subjects.

5. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

What do you mean not tested and are not getting taught those subjects?

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 31, 2011

For me, it would have to be math. I always struggled with math but am fairly decent at it now. Anyway, I have a hard time with differentiating math instruction.

I teach SS and love, love, love it!

7. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

A lot of standardized tests focus only on rdg and math, so that's what is taught more in the primary grades. Then, when these students are in higher grades, they don't understand concepts that they should have already been taught in the primary grades.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 31, 2011

Science--- the young kids seem to really love it, but trying to teach it to high school students is painful. (for me at least)

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2011

In my classroom, math is the most difficult subject to teach because I have children ranging in ability from preschool math all the way to middle school. It is very difficult to differentiate for that many groups in the limited amount of time we have to teach it (about 60 minutes per day).

10. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

Even though I absolutely love teaching it, social studies is the hardest. Imagine a class of 30 kids (or more) of all different levels (special ed, on-grade level, and honors) all mixed in together and having to teach a topic like constitutional law. Add in absolutely no special education help (due to being an untested subject) and only seeing the kids every other day because we are on an A/B block schedule.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 31, 2011

I don't know if I would say "most." In our state, we teach science and social studies in elementary school!

I think reading is hardest, because there are so many different things that can be causing a student to struggle.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

I find writing difficult...love love writing poetry with kids, but anything narrative can be a BEAR!

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2011

I think teaching writing can be difficult. It seems to grow more difficult each year, in fact, as student move away from communicating using elaborate thoughts. Like czacza, I very much enjoy teaching poetry (probably because the students respond well to it...which probably relates back to the fact they can crank out a poem fairly quickly), but the other forms come with much more work.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

I said math.

15. SuccessCoachNC

SuccessCoachNC Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

It is just my opinion, but every subject is difficult to teach under our current broken system - top heavy bureaucracy that needs a heavy shot of botox!!!

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 1, 2011

In CA at least, the lack of social studies and science teaching happens a lot when schools enter Program Improvement because they're not meeting their AYP goals. Some schools cut those subjects all together, and some cut them a lot. It depends on how the district wants to deal with PI. It's very sad. I student taught in a school that had removed science and social studies from the curriculum. They are not tested subjects (except science in 5th grade), and it is all about getting the test scores up once a school has entered Program Improvement. I found it extremely frustrating, as did my cooperating teacher.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2011

I think the hardest is math but the most work in English.

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 1, 2011

Teaching social studies is the hardest for me. I don't care much about it but I love teaching current events and social issues. Other than that I find it very difficult.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2011

It would be hardest for me to teach science because I have the weakest background in it. I'd be good up until about the 8th grade (which is good because that's a high as I'm certified to teach science...) and that's it!

20. RyanS

RyanS Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

I'm not even a math teacher and I voted for math! I teach physics to juniors and seniors and have found that the physics isn't hard for them- it's the math behind the physics that gets them. I find myself reviewing basic algebra daily so that students can solve a physics equation for a particular variable. It's been my experience that students seem to enter math classes with the presupposition that they cannot "do" math. This is hard to overcome. It seems that math has the worst reputation of any subject, which is very unfortunate.

21. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 1, 2011

As a math teacher this is the hardest thing to help students overcome. Many come with the mindset that they're not good at it so they become anxious about it.

22. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 1, 2011

:agreed:

I'm certified to teach it K-5 but I haven't received much training in teaching it so I'm uncomfortable.

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 1, 2011

I think math, because I find it more difficult to think of more challenging questions for higher learners. We have a series that we have to follow, but I feel like it is too easy for many kids, and I don't really know what to do to make it more challenging, which I can do easily with Language Arts.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2011

Math. It's not my strong suit, so I'd be uncomfortable teaching it anyway - but like others have said, I would find it difficult to differentiate for the many different levels and mindsets in class.

25. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

I guess it depends on what you mean by "hardest." Everyone is certified to teach something different, so what's harder academically for someone will depend on what their own educational background is.

I teach 11th grade Physics, and the kids definitely struggle with the math, which there is a lot of in physics. They come into the class thinking it's going to be too hard and they won't be able to do it. But with science there are a lot of labs, videos and demonstrations that I can do to make it fun. If I taught just math I think it would definitely be harder to keep students interested.

But, I think for me English would be harder to teach. I already struggle with staying on top of grades, and the grading for physics is realtively simple. All the reading or essays, writing corrections, etc. I think I'd shoot myself, LOL.

I personally love to read, but I always hated English class as a student (and I got high A's in it all the way through school). It just seemed so pointless, I never felt like I was learning anything new. I already knew how to read and how to use proper grammar so why force me to read books and write essays you think are important? So, I imagine that getting students motivated to actually care about literature has got to be tough. I can always blow something up in science to get their attention.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 1, 2011

This pretty much sums up how I eventually learned Chemistry. Thank you Dr. Hoff!

27. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

Where in this country is Science not tested? In Florida we have the Science FCAT and in a couple of years we will have an end of course exam for Social Studies.

What do you mean the students aren't getting taught? Even if the subject were not tested, I would never dream of not teaching my students what the curriculum says to teach.

28. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Rookie

Apr 3, 2011

This is so true. Social studies keeps getting cut in my state and finding a job in it was insane. Many of us SS teachers are expected to differentiate the instruction, do small group, meet all the accommodations, but without any support. SS doesn't warrant special ed teachers or paraprofessionals. It's not tested so kids think it's not important.

So, I'll have a couple of students below grade level struggling with an assignment. Since this class doesn't have many leaders that can take charge and help, pairing up and group work is difficult. I'm in there alone with the entire class while one of my ELA colleagues has 3 other teachers in the room with her. I understand why, but it can be frustrating when you know some of the students in your room need some special help. I just haven't figured out ways to work around it yet.

But with all of that said, I don't think SS is the hardest for me. I love the subject so much and because it's not tested, I have a lot of freedom as long as I hit the standards.

I've taught math and ELA in the past. I have to say ELA was the hardest for me. I know my grammar but to teach it? Ack...

29. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2011

English, hands down.

I have no idea how to actually teach kids to write, read, etc., because it is so abstract.

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2011

As an intervention teacher I only teach reading, math, and writing. I think reading is the hardest because there are just so many things that go into it and so many different ways students can struggle. I think math is the easiest for me to teach, which is sort of ironic because in school I was very good at ELA and pretty terrible at math. I find it easier to help my struggling students in math because I really understand why they don't get things and I know how to help them based on my own struggles with math. Since I never struggled with reading, it's harder for me to anticipate all the ways that students can get tripped up.