What would you name your invitation business?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissPapa, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Mar 2, 2013

Hello fellow teachers!

So I am planning on starting up a small invitation business aside from me being a teacher. I was a graphic design major before I decided to go to grad school for special ed. I'm trying to get advice for the name for my company. Plus, my friend just asked if I can make her wedding invitations since I mentioned I want to start up an invitation business, and she'd be my first customer, so I definitely need to figure out a name and design a logo soon!

I figured since I belong in a forum here and there's a teacher time out board, maybe this can help? :)

I thought of going along the lines of these names:
    - MP Designs (I already created a logo from my senior year in college, but that's not as exciting as other names, and plus there's already an MP Designs).
    - Miss Papa Invites (Papa is part of my long last name and what I have my students call me, but it's my maiden name too, so that will obviously be changed when the time comes)
    - Urban Elegance Invites (got that idea from searching around)

Any other ideas? I'm thinking along the lines of something with being a teacher, living in NYC, maybe being Greek, etc.)

Thanks!!!!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 2, 2013

I think the best name would be one that is descriptive of your business in some way.
    - having it associated with your name might not make a big difference, and - just my opinion - Miss Papa Invites can sound kinda confusing.
    - being Greek could work, but that would be better if your business is somehow related to Greek culture, or if you have a lot of Greek clientele base (or Greeks you want to reach)
    - being a teacher, I think when people are looking for someone to design invitations for them wouldn't really care if you are a teacher, a cook, etc. They just want to a great product, service and price.

So I would go with something that is descriptive, like the last one you mentioned, i.e. 'elegance', or 'artistic', etc, and play around with those words. But also think about who are you going to try to reach? Is it only brides / grooms? Are you going to do invitations for huge as well as small parties, like kid's birthday parties (some parents spend an arm and a leg on kids' parties), what about corporations? Think about a name that would be appealing to all of them. Also look around to see what names are out there.

And you shouldn't, and can't anyway have a name that's already in use.

4. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 2, 2013

Too bad you don't have something set up already. We need to order our invites and have them out by March 30th. We were thinking of a playbill invitation since we're getting married at the Orpheum and I was going to attempt to create a template myself to take to the copy place to get a bunch printed to save on cost. We may just do normal invitations now.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2013

RSVP

Papa's Party Papers

By Invitation Only

6. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 2, 2013

I wouldn't put anything specifically about invitations in the name. That way, you're not limiting yourself. Someone might have a need/request for something similar that you can also design, like a birth announcement, moving announcement, other wedding stuff like programs, etc. :)

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Mar 2, 2013

RSVP, Be Our Guest, and By Invitation Only are taken already :(

Good point on not just using the word "invites". I was thinking stationary as well. I was thinking of using the word "expressions" in my name if I were to do more than just invitations.

Maybe Creative Expressions Invitations and Stationary? Sofar I didn't see anyone using it (unless I find it later on!)

Thanks guys!

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Mar 2, 2013

Just found a company with Creative Expressions. In my hometown, no less! Gahh. I kinda like using the word "expressions", though!

9. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 2, 2013

I'm not one to correct people on here but in this case I feel like I should give a friendly reminder to make sure you use stationery, not stationary :D

Hmmm let's see.. Papa's Paper Goods? Miss Papa's Paper Goods?

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Mar 3, 2013

Oh the joy for a teacher to be corrected on spelling by another teacher!

Miss Papa's Paper Goods sounds nice! I'm trying to think of other unique names, though, where I won't be using my name. Again, Papa is part of my maiden name! :p

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2013

"Paper Goods" makes this sound like a paper-supply store, though. Is there any tradition of Greek paper art?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2013

www.heart2craft.com seems to be a papercrafts shop in Greece. The link is to the page in Greek; you might look for a term for paper or scrapbooking or something in Greek that would sound good to an American ear and use that.

("Chartia" seems to be Greek for 'papers', as in special papers. Maybe Callichartia 'beautiful papers'?)

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2013

Graphic Arts was my minor

"Yes this is the place, Graphic Design "
    "A little bit of visual art, A little bit of Graphic Design"
    "First Impressions"
    "Graphically Speaking"
    "Graphic Impressions"
    "Better than Xerox"
    "Let them Know....."
    "Lady with graphic ideas"
    "Graphic detail"
    "Lithography and more"
    [​IMG]

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Mar 3, 2013

I really don't want "graphic design" in my name. I thought of other names…

- Mia Ellen Invites & Stationery (My real first and middle name is Maria Elaina, I actually think Mia Ellen sounds catchy)
    - Fine Print Expressions
    - The First Impression Invites and Stationery
    - Invited by Maria Invites and Stationery
    - Truly Yours, Maria Invites and Stationery

Yea not a fan of "paper goods"

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2013

"INKVITATIONS & MORE"
    *Wonders Of Ink"
    *You Can't Miss It!"
    "Design, Print, & Deliver!