What Would You Include in a Basic Cleaning Supply Kit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, Jun 17, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2020

I know someone moving out of the family's house. The individual expressed the need to get cleaning supplies.

What do you consider essentials for a basic cleaning supply kit for an apartment with no carpeting?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 17, 2020

A broom and dustpan. A Swiffer, for fast cleaning, with dry and wet cloths. A mop, bucket, and mop supplies. Rags. A toilet bowl cleaner/plunger combo. I clean everything with a mix of vinegar and a tiny bit of essential oil, but normal people probably need spray cleaner. Clorox wipes for when disinfecting is needed. Liquid Plumber (you never think to buy it until you need it, which is usually in the middle of the night...) Dish soap. Sponges. A pack of Mr. Clean sponges for stubborn spots. A drying mat for dishes. Oh, and a duster, which I don't have, and you can tell. My house is super dusty right now.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 17, 2020

Maybe some Windex and paper towels?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2020

Basic?

Paper towels
    Windex
    Bleach spray
    Toilet bowl cleaner
    Toilet brush
    Swiffer
    Swiffer wet pads

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 18, 2020

Not really a cleaning supply, but I'd make sure to have garbage bags too.

bella84 likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2020

If there is no carpeting, what kind of floor is it? I used swiffer all of of the time in my old apartment, but my house has laminate floors and the inspector was very insistent that I should NEVER use wet swiffer pads on them. I use a mop with a microfiber cloth and bona laminate spray.

They're hard to find right now, but I also used a lot of clorox wipes in my apartment. My current counter tops are granite and you're not supposed to use clorox wipes with those, so I had to get a special spray. I still use the clorox wipes for some bathroom surfaces.

IDK if this is venturing into "not basic" but I always use some sort of after shower spray (like Tilex) where you can just quickly spray after each shower and leave it so that the need to scrub the shower is eliminated.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2020

Thank you everyone. It has been helpful and I am learning some new things.
    Feel free to keep them coming.
    Is Pledge no longer a thing to use?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2020

Not if you have scent allergies. Some dusting products are less scent intensive, same with toilet and bathtub cleaners. I clean those last two with Oxyclean, because it has much less scent to it. Additionally, you can use it as a solution, or make it thicker, where it can cling to the surface longer. If the toilet is really stained, you can shut off the water to the tank and flush until the tank is empty. That allows you to put more of the paste right where it needs to be. Learned this when visiting my mom's condo at the lake. If you want to really scrub, go ahead. At least the fumes won't knock you out.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom