What would you do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoey'smom, Sep 22, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

Everyday we have milk break. The parents have a choice to send money for milk. It is .30 a day. Those who don't get milk, I give them a glass of water or sometimes juice if I have it. I only have one or two that don't pay. This concerned one of my students. She went home and told mom. Mom felt bad for these students, so she sent in money for her daughter and money for those who didn't get milk. She wrote a note telling me how she wants to help those who couldn't pay. The thing is this mother doesn't have the money to being do this. I thought it was very nice, but I don't know how to respond. I let all the children get milk today, because I didn't want this little girl to go home and say I wouldn't let everyone have milk. What would you do?

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 22, 2009

What a strange situation for the school to set up! Isn't there a free milk program for the low income kids? I don't know if you should give milk to kids who's parents haven't ordered it - they might be allergic.

If they are not allergic, I would talk to the P. about this. It seems like singling out those who can't afford the milk.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 22, 2009

I think it was a super sweet gesture. She many not appear to have the money, but when someone wants to give back, they often sacrifice in other areas. It makes them feel good. Maybe she was looking for just this opportunity-what a fabulous role model for her daughter!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 22, 2009

I like Jem's answer. I would run this by the P. If he okay's the mom paying, then run it by the children's parents to make sure its okay.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 22, 2009

It makes me sad that some children do not get milk. I think the mother is wonderful to help out. But, why is the school not helping? Most schools have access to support for food. And, milk prices are controled so the milk is pretty cheap.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 22, 2009

Accept it gratefully and express your admiration for her sensitivity. Give them all the milk.

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

Thanks for your responses, I feel the same way. We do have a free lunch program, but for some reason it does not cover milk for milk break. I have two little girls who don't always get milk. Some days they get it and sometimes they don't. I am going to talk to my Principal tomorrow about it, he is not in the building today. I do think it was a very nice of her to offer.

9. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Sep 22, 2009

Well, it may be that the students who aren't getting milk are allergic. Growing up I was the only one who didn't get milk at snack and it used to drive me nuts that every day some kid would be astounded that I wasn't drinking milk. I wanted it, so I would have drunk it had it been offered to me. It could be that the parents are deciding not to have their children drink milk for allergic or dietary reasons.

Otherwise, it's puzzling there wouldn't be a free milk program.

10. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

When I have sat at booths collecting donations at the mall, I always noticed that the people who came in and donated were those who least looked like they could afford it. The well dressed ones walked on by and didn't even look. The others may not look like they can afford it, but maybe that's because they spend their money helping others instead of keeping up with the latest fashions. The girl should be allowed to learn this lesson from her mother and her teacher. The only concern would be dietary. If it is truly just that the other girls couldn't afford it, don't judge whether someone can afford to be nice. We can ALL afford something.

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

Our free lunch program also does not cover money for milk breaks. Our cafeteria must be self-supporting and cannot give milk away at snack time to all the kids who didn't buy it.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

I agree that you should run it by the P. Many milk programs in schools are federally subsidized and make milk available to those who truly can not afford it. Some parents may be opting out for health or personal reasons outside of budget concerns.

I think the mom in your class is very generous and empathetic but I also think it important to respect the decisions that OTHER parents make for THEIR OWN children.

13. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I'm just amazed that you guys have a milk break. I've never heard of such a thing before. We do have a snack break and we ask that families bring in snack for the kids to share. Our school nurse gives up all the info. we need about kids with allergies. Otherwise, we all eat the same snack. I'm sometimes surprised by the families that donate lots of snacks. I think it's a way that some families who can't come in and volunteer feel like they can contribute in some way. I'd say to graciously accept the mother's donation and give the kids the milk.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

I think that's awesome of the parent! I wish there were more parents like that :) I hope you have a good convo with the P!

15. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

Thanks everyone. I wish there were more parents like this one. I will talk to the Principal tomorrow. The one thing I am worried about is I would need to talk to the parents of the ones who don't get milk. I am just not sure what to tell them. I don't want them to feel bad because they can't pay. It could just be the little girls don't want it.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2009

First see what the principal says.

Then, if the P okays the milk money donation, call the parents of the children who may now receive milk and explain to them that you received a donation to pay for milk, would they like their children to have milk. Don't tell them who made the donation but do send a thank you to the parent who sent the money in on behalf of the children who have parent permission to have milk (without naming those children to preserve privacy).

17. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2009

How odd.

I've never heard of breakfast in school like some posters have mentioned on this forum except in poor districts (where they also offer dinner and food for the weekend)

18. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

My parents could not afford to send in extra milk money either, but they always sent me with money for milk for another child whose family couldn't afford it. I guess sometimes, if you're in someone's shoes and can really see how somebody cannot afford .30/day, you just want to help.

19. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

I agree. Imagine how you would feel as the parent of the child who did not pay for the milk. If the issue was that you could not afford it, then you might feel offended that someone was giving you a handout. If there is another issue involved, you would surely not want another parent or the teacher going against your decision.

20. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 24, 2009

wow, that seems crazy to me that something like this would even be happening. i would think there would be something set up with the lunch program for children who can't afford it. if there were kids in my class who couldn't get milk, i don't know what i would do. that is so sad.
    can you not set up a snack calendar. my daughter is in kindergarten and one day a month each child brings in snack (including drinks). i don't think that's unreasonable because even parents who don't have money can usually get snack one day a month with food stamps. most people who can't afford .30 a day do get food stamps. what an awkward situation.

21. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 25, 2009

I respectfully disagree. At .30/day, or approximately $6/month, milk is much less expensive than buying snacks and drinks for the entire class.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

Not really. I often was the "snack helper" last year because otherwise the students wouldn't get snack. There are plenty of snacks for $2. A bag of pretzels and a gallon of punch or juice. Also, those things can be purchased using food stamps, not cash.

23. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 25, 2009

I do have parents donate snacks if they want too, but I don't make it mandatory. The problem is it is the same parents that send snacks every month. I don't ask for juice, but I sometimes with my own money will bring juice for those who don't get milk. I agree the whole situation is sad. Most of them get free lunches and even breakfast, but for some reason they can't have free milk for a snack.