What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jlyn07, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

I worked at a daycare until Friday as a head teacher in the toddler room. I quit so that I could sub full-time this school year. Friday the director called me into her office and offered me a preschool teaching position at the daycare because they are expanding the center and she really needs one more teacher. I am conflicted on what to do. She is offering me more money to take this position, and it would be much more than I would be making subbing. I really want a classroom teaching position and I'm wondering if subbing or being a preschool teacher looks better to schools? I just don't know what to do and I have heard varying things from teachers around here about schools that do or do not hire their substitutes and that some schools like to see continuous employment in one place (such as the preschool position). The cons to continue working at the daycare would be the environment. I worked with a lot of uneducated people who do not take their jobs seriously; they call in whenever they feel like it leaving others to pick up their slack, they gossip endlessly, and most do not like me. The pros would be I would actually be able to teach! With my toddlers I was beginning to teach them their letters and it was so fun having them point of their letters wherever we were. With preschoolers I could still do this and even on a greater scale. The room is new so I would get to set it up exactly how I want and get to put together all my materials. And, a few of my toddlers are moving up into that room soon so I would already know some of the kids. I have to let the director know sometime this week what I want to do and I keep going back and forth. Sorry this is so long, I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

I would think that being the lead preschool teacher would be better on a resume than substitute experience. With subbing, you never get a chance so show your true ability to manage a classroom, lesson planning, dealing with parents, etc. So, even though you have some of those issues to deal with, every position has them. I would take it if I were you. But, lets see what the others have to say.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

Subbing didn't get me anywhere.

I think working in a permanent position (even preschoolers) is better.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2008

If you plan on teaching secondary, my personal opinion is that the preschool position won't help you out most. If you sub, you atleast get to network and make connections. You also gain experience with the ages you would like to teach (since you'll be able to sub for all grade levels presumably). I think you have to go with your gut here, but I feel like subbing and tutoring last year gave me wonderful experience and prepared me for my student teaching this year. Of course, this is only my personal opinion...

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 24, 2008

It's a tough call. Honestly, some people say pre-school experience won't help at all, and some say subbing won't help either. I do have three years child care experience but I have no idea if it really helped me get a job or not.

A huge pro though is setting up your own classroom. You would be there from the get go and that would be great. It would also be something you could emphasize in a cover letter. And like Pechyness points out, you'll have the experience of managing a classroom, writing lesson plans and conferring with parents on a regular basis, none of which will happen as a daily sub.

But I do think that if you're having an interview for say fourth grade, they're not going to care too much about your experience with three year olds. My personal feeling is that if you can manage a group of three year olds you can handle a whole lot of other ages, but I'm not sure this sentiment is felt by elementary school principals.

So I'd just suggest that you do what will make you happy. If the idea of this new position is more appealing than subbing, go for it. If you think you'll continue to be displeased with your work environment, go for the subbing and hope it opens up doors for you. I really don't think either option will be the totally wrong choice. Congrats by the way on being offered this new classroom at a higher salary. Your director obviously thinks highly of you and you should feel proud of that.

7. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 24, 2008

If you're early childhood, go for it. If you're secondary, I don't think it will help. I also taught toddlers before my first "real" teaching job. During interviews I would get the "so...you taught daycare..." comment. I would joke back that middle schoolers are very similar to two year olds - they can't think through consequences yet. :)

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Thanks for all the replies! I am certified to teach B-6 and have no interest in teaching middle school so there isn't an issue there. Ideally, I would LOVE to get a kindergarten or first grade position.

It is encouraging to hear that other people worked at daycares and then found teaching jobs also. I worry that principals think I am 'settling' or whatever but really, I need the dependable income and you don't get that with subbing (I am going to be really stretching every penny with subbing).

I guess I know what I really want to do I'm just scared. But I'm also scared to sub, lol. Thanks again.

9. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I think the best thing to do is go with your gut.

I worked in a daycare as well before and i hated all the things you mentioned like gossiping and not taking their job serisouly. I ended up quiting but if your depending on a consistent paycheck then you might go with the pre-k position. I subed for a few months last year and some weeks i was busy and others i had nothing.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

From an outsiders view...subbing has not gotten me anywhere either.
    But it doesn't sound like a very positive environment there...so depending on how bad it is...it's really up to you!

11. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I'd got with the preschool position. You can show great classroom management, teaching, lessons planning, dealing with parents and co-worker skills etc. And I also think its great to show that you've progressed within a school, that the principal thinks enough of you to push you up a level.