What would you do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lilac82, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lilac82

lilac82 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Ok, so here is my dilemma...

The other day I e-mailed one of my old professors (my student teaching advisor) to see if she could write me a letter of recommendation for grad school. We got along really well when I was in school, and she was by far my favorite professor, so supportive and encouraging. She e-mailed with a reply that her husband, a principal at an elementary school, was looking for a full-time building sub and asked if I was interested. This school is about a 35 minute commute for me, but I figured I would stop down and meet her husband and see the building. I met with the principal (her husband) this morning and it could not have gone better. He was so nice, made comments about the great things his wife said about me, how he thought I would be a wonderful addition to their team, and that this building sub position could very well turn into a full time teaching position. So here's the part that sucks....the pay is $80 per day! Granted, this district is close to the city, but I thought it would be a little better than that! I am married and we have a mortgage to pay, so this is a big factor for me.

Right now I sub at a district (in the suburbs) where the schools are within a 20 minute drive and the pay is $120 per day. The school district I sub at now is also a top notch district, so if I ever did get in for good, I would be set for life. That also makes it extremely competitive to get in. I have already been subbing there for 2 years and am getting ready to start another year of day-to-day subbing (UGH). I am not sure what to do. I feel like I've established myself at the district I sub in now and have lots of networks. I am afraid if I leave for a year, they'll forget about me. At this new building sub job, I feel like I have a really good chance at a teaching job next year. It is a little further away and pays less, yet the district upholds a good reputation. I feel like I should take a chance with this new job offer, and if I can't afford to live, I will just have to get a second job.

Any advice will do! I'm so confused :unsure: Has anyone ever faced this type of problem?

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 8, 2008

I need money I would stay with the first one. . .you should tell him your predicament

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Depending on how many days/week you sub in the district that pays more (ie of you only work 3 days then you're earning similar to working 5 days at the other district). Also, if you're established in the district, surely you will get more requests, perhaps for LTS positions in that district. You show commitement etc. I would probably stay at the current district, unless the other school is offering additional benefits or something to really sway your decision.

5. lilac82

lilac82 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Thanks for your responses, guys. The money thing is of course important, but because my current district is so competitive, I feel like I could be subbing another 2 or 3 years before they will even look at me. I'm just a dime a dozen to them, and I'm afraid they'll just keep me as a sub forever. I feel like if I have a chance at this new job to get a full time position, than maybe it's worth the pay cut as a sub. I also forgot to mention that starting teacher salaries are almost exactly the same in both districts (very good pay for a first year teacher). I'm going to ponder it a few more days...I don't have to make a decision til Tuesday. I feel like I should go with my gut feeling, though, which is this new position. Thanks for listening :love:

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

I think that I would go with the new position where I have the chance of getting a full time position quicker. I am sure your ultimate goal is to work full time. What does your husband think?

7. lilac82

lilac82 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Hubby is supportive, as usual. He has been wonderful through this whole job search ordeal. He tells me to follow my instincts and do what makes me happy, even if it means a pay cut for a little while. I told him I will still pick up a second job if I do take this new job so that I can hold up my end of the responsibility. I would feel guilty only bringing home half of what I made before, but I feel it's worth it (so does he) if it leads to a full time job more quickly. His only concern is my safety in that I will be close to the city, but I reassured him that is a decent area.

8. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Not sure about PA, but in the Colorado districts I've subbed in, after like 20 days in the same position, your pay goes up quite a bit...I think it's the daily rate of first year teachers. Maybe check out that district's website to see if there is any mention of it...

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Perhaps you could try out the new district for awhile and if you find it's really a strain on you (financially and as far as the commute goes), just go back to subbing in your current district. I'm sure the P in the new district would understand. Or you might find that the new district is where you need to be and it will work out for you in the end. :) Good luck!

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

It is like that in my district, too. That would be great!!

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I was in a similar situation at the beginning of this school year. I was offered a position as an EL Intervention teacher. But it was only part time (5 half days) and got LTS pay...$55/day in this district. Yes this is my dream district, but I'm not going to put myself in a situation like that...which would probably hurt my husband and I financially. Subbing and working my PT job pays much more than they were offering. Plus, I have put a lot of effort into their district and they've given me nothing in return. So I was basically fed up with them at that point.
    I don't think it's worth it. But in the end, it's your decision!

12. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

Subs around here only get paid 55 for a full day half a day is 25. Wow that is alot for subs. But cool also. I would choose the most if u really need the money.

13. lilac82

lilac82 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

$55 a day?? That's like 40 something after taxes, yeesh. It's amazing how underpaid subs are and how little respect they get. I guess the pay is somewhat relative to where you live though. It's kind of expensive to live in our area, but we can't relocate because hubby can't leave his family business. I am going take the suggestion to find out if the pay goes up after a certain amount of days, and I will also pick up a second part time job. I have a really good feeling about this principal and school, so I feel like the classroom experience and getting my foot in the door is worth it. I just hope the commute doesn't kill me. I just pray it leads to a full-time position eventually! Thanks for all your responses! :)

14. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

where in PA are you at lilac???

15. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I understand that you really want to work in the closer district. You've put in your time but is that really getting there? The answer appears to be "no." I think it's time to stop giving them the milk for free. The new district sounds much more promising. You can always apply back to the other district and with some classroom experience you'll be in a far better position that a day-to-day sub.

16. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I agree with MATgrad (and that gorilla guy,too-or is it a big fat cat?).
    Go with the new district!!

17. lilac82

lilac82 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Hunny - I am in the suburbs of Philly, Main Line Area

Yeah, I agree with MAT as well. I feel like I will be more appreciated in this new district. It's the other one's loss if they don't interview me.

Haha, I'm not sure what that animal by his name is either. It's questionable...it's a fat something.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2008

Why can't you sub in both districts?

19. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

Mine too.