What would you do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sculteacher, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. sculteacher

    sculteacher Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 20, 2007

    Had a nice interview yesterday (knew half of the people interviewing me--had worked with them before). They said I would know by the end of next week if the job was mine.
    I have another interview this afternoon with another district. I have already met that principal and she seemed to love me.
    I would rather have the first job I interviewed for since it is a lot closer to home. However, what if I am offered the second job before I hear about getting the first one? What is the best way to delay giving a response?
    Thanks!
     
  2.  
  3. weisemaries

    weisemaries Rookie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 20, 2007

    Ask them if you can have 48 hours to talk it over with your significant other. Most schools are more than happy to give you a little time to think it over.
    I was honest last year and asked for 48 hours because I had another interview the next day. They were more than happy to give it. (I did call them back when I told them I would and ended up accepting the job.)
     
  4. willsgirl

    willsgirl Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    Messages:
    371
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 20, 2007

    I would say that most of the time requesting a short "time out" to think things through would be normal. However, I tried this and lost a position because the principal was chomping at the bit, needed to go to the board for approval and didn't want to wait. Granted, she wasn't clear about what was going on. She only asked me if I was still interested or not and that she was presenting to the board. She did not offer me a contract and in fact, suggested that there was more than one candidate. I said yes, but would need a day or two to resign from present position, as I would need to negotiate since it was past grace period for resigning without penalty. In fact, I had an interview the next day with my "dream school" which did not work out. When I did talk with her at the prescribed time, she just said it had been awarded to the other person. Much later, I found out that she was worried and felt she had a bird in the hand and went with that. She would have hired me if I had been totally on board (in her opinion). Most upsetting.

    Moral of the story...make sure they are giving you a firm offer and are willing to let you think about it. I'll never play one against the other again unless I am totally sure of what's going on.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TeacherNY
Total: 249 (members: 1, guests: 226, robots: 22)
test