What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

If you had a child that was one of the principals or directors child, and this child brought in special foods to eat every morning or special toys to play with, what would you do?

3. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

If the policy states that those are not allowed, I would talk with the parent and explain that we have made this policy for ... reasons. I would put the food in their lunchbox. If they still want to have their child eat those special foods in the morning, then I would suggest that they eat them in their office. If they bring in special toys, I would put the toys in their cubbies. If the child couldn't leave the toys alone in their cubby, I would talk to the parent/director and explain that the toys are becoming a distraction and suggest they leave the toy in the car for the day. At my school we allow the children to eat in the morning, they just have to sit down. However, if special food is food that we have told the parents they are not allowed to bring to school, i.e. Doritos, then I would explain to the director that we do not allow the other children to have those foods, and again recommend that if they wanted their children to eat those foods they could take their child into the office and have them eat in there.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2006

Treat her just like every other child, no special privileges.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Thanks for your replies. I feel bad when he brings in a SPRINKLE donut for breakfast and the other kids are eating generic cheerios.

6. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

well, you have the benefit that the parent is around all day to educate him or her. Perhaps your classroom and the hallways can use some more nutrition posters :)

7. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

maybe even suggest one in the directors office

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

I agree, no special priveliges. Shame on them for trying to get away with it too.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

That's how I feel, Frizz.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 4, 2006

That's a tough one. That happens at our school when the children go through the lunch line. It breaks my heart when a child doesn't have their lunch money and they take the tray with the hot lunch away and give them just peanut butter and jelly with milk. But guess what happens when the administrator's child doesn't have their lunch money...

I might even try going through the child. Telling them that they know they are not allowed to bring in toys, etc.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Kindercowgirl, I very nicely told him that we have food here so he doesn't need to bring in any. I told him that the other kids feel bad when he has something special to eat and they don't. He was real cute and nice about it. He said, "o.k." A few days later it happened again. He looked kinda guilty. It's his parents fault.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

My thoughts exactly.;)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2006

It is the parents fault and it is a sticky situation. You are going to have to bring it up. Diplomacy is the key, but it needs to be done. I feel for you. The approach you just used on the kid is a simple one and a diplomatic one...try the same one on the parent.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

I write a weekly newsletter and I may just put it in there as a side note for everyone...along with other info, such as winter hats, etc...

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

Ahhhhhhhhhh, but do the parents READ the newsletter??

16. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 5, 2006

In my experience, the ones who need the info you're adding because of THEM, DON'T read it. Everyone else does, and wonders...."Why did she say that?" :-D

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

LOL!!!!!!!!! That is soooo true!!!!:p

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

OH what WAS I thinking?! I forgot that they can't read. Well, maybe I should do individual notes written on large tagboard and strap them to their child's back!

19. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

sounds like that might work:)

20. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 5, 2006

It just so happens....THAT will work!! We had our jog-a-thon last Wednesday, and we pinned salmon-colored tagboard on students' backs so volunteers could (quickly) write a tally mark on it as they passed the "start" line for each lap. OUR PARENTS WOULD TOTALLY GET IT!! HAHA! Maybe I should rethink our most important messages....

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

srh and grammy, I think you may be on to something here!;)

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

I have made headbands for the kids in the past and written reminders on them! Can't remember if it worked or not. Probably not or I would have thought of it before now.

23. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 6, 2006

The principal and/or directors child is having a Donut for breakfast?

What was going through their head as Parents?

Talk to them (parents) and voice your concerns. You are a professional, and they cannot fire you for caring about PROPER BREAKFAST for a GROWING child. Come across as a nutritional concern and you can level the playing field.

As for the Toys, what are your rules about toys from home entering the classroom. If he cant concentrate on his work, the toys go in his cubby, or backpack. PERIOD. He could be BUSH's son, but he is still in your class, and has to follow your rules for saftey and security, including fair equality for all classmates.

Donut for breakfast. I am still shaking my head...

Mr. Skinner :D

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 6, 2006

Actually to me if you came to me with a nutritional concern for my child I would feel like you are attacking my choices as a parent. Really it is better to leave it as a policy for school and not being fair to the other students.

25. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2006

I agree with Deafinly. I DO give my children donuts for breakfast from time to time. How I choose to feed my children is my business, not their teachers'. That begin said, ALL children need to follow the guidelines, so I would have a conversation with the Director, just as I would the other parents who were breaking the rules for their child.

26. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 6, 2006

In Canada we are hammered with the Canada food guide for healthy eating, from kindergarten to junior high. Teachers are not required to teach it, but some do to help students learn healthy eating habits. Especially teachers in Junior grades 4-6, and 7-9 with girls who skip breakfast to be thin.

In a breakfast program in one of the schools I was in, we would have fresh fruits, apple juice or milk, and good breakfast cereal with 7+ minerals and nutrients. Some days whole wheat toast as well. It is provided for all students so no one is left out. And when the group plans the menu for the month, they look for foods that meet the guidelines of the Canadian Food Guide.

I would not be pointing fingers at the parents to say that donuts for breakfast = bad parenting. In Canada the parents wouldn't see it as criticism, instead as helping their child grow up healthy, with wise choices.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mr. Skinner :D

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2006

We serve some high sugar breakfasts where I work, on guidelines, but I don't agree with them. Kids and sugar don't mix. Anyway, see ya. Have to go to work now!