What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jaimed, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I currently have a part time Basic Skills LTS job till Jan. I will possibly will stay in the school till the end of year in a 1st grade position after that. I want on an interview yesterday in an private school for a full time perm. job. What would do if you were offered the job?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

The thing is that private doesn't lead to a public school job. If you think that you only will be happy with public in the long run, then it might not be for you. However, it is often a wonderful way to get experience with your own classroom - usually in a calmer setting. I'm in private and I love the environment.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I would not even think about it- I would take it:angel: :angel: :angel:

5. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

my paernts seem to think its much more stable in a public school. I think it doesn't matter where u are.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

If the position you have currently keeps you public ed and could lead to a full-time classroom position, I say stay. But, if you've had the position for at least 2 years and nothing is coming out of it, maybe it is a time for a change to get into the classroom. With your connections in public ed, perhaps you can come back with the experience that may land you a public ed classroom teacher position. Seems like there are many variables you may want to hash over before making a decision....

I started in private and loved it- would have stayed except it was too far from home and the pay was too low to offset my commuting costs. Yes, in private schools you are at the mercy of everyone. But if you fit- I don't foresee a problem...In public ed, when you're past the new teacher phase, you are in..but there'll always be problems there too.

I say if you like the school you're in and you really feel like it'll lead to a full time position, stay. If not, it's time to move on. Good luck!

7. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I too started out in private school and lovedthe experiences I gained from it. I stayed three years, but the pay is about 1/2 of what you'd make in a public school. That's why I left.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the job! If you do get offered the job, see what the pay is like, benefits, etc. If it fits what you want, then go for it. But if you have any doubts, stay with what you have now. I know when I interviewed with Moorestown a few years back, they went with a long term sub for the position. I'll keep my eye out for you though in case anything else opens up:) And I know theres a kinder LTS at my school definitiely in Jan. Tell your hubby I say hi! :)

9. jaimed

jaimed Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Thanks everyone!!! I won't haer till tomorrow from the private school I love my job. I just want ft and want to be in the classroom time. Thanks again.