what would you do???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 2, 2020.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2020

I really need some sound advice. I don't want to be bashed so if thats what you are going to do please don't respond.
    I am NOT a first year teacher. I have been at this a good long while, 14 years. So I know standards and I know how to teach. Last year after many years in kindergarten I moved back to 1st grade. When I taught first grade before we were self contained. But around the time I moved to kinder they went to departmentalized. So I have never taught with a partner which was a huge adjustment to me. Not having total control over my kids was hard move, but one I was willing to do. I was partnered with a brand new teacher, which was fine. The only thing is we did not get a long from the start. Even at a little get together before school we just did not mesh. Here is the issue. He teaches with his door open and I have mine open quite a lot. It's not a huge hallway soooo I hear everything that goes on in his room. I hear A L O T of wrong things being taught. But it was math stuff and not having taught 1st grade math in a while I didn't want to say anything because of our strained relationship. Last year he had mentor but he thought he was too good to go for help. We had an instructional coach who would come in to help him but I don't think he ever took her seriously. This year with everything that is going on we are teaching self contained. Now I hear even more things being taught wrong. The phonics lessons and the way he is teaching the kids to blend words is WRONG which is going to make for some very bad readers who have the wrong skills. I know for a fact that I can't say anything to him. First of all it's not professional for me to go to him and say you are wrong and second he would not take it the right way. Soooo my question to you is would you go to admin or just leave it.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 2, 2020

Go to admin.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 2, 2020

Admin. Might be time for a little walk-through.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Oct 2, 2020

I'd leave it alone. Then I'd stay self contained or get a better partner next yr. Kindergarten/1 are such young ages to departmentalize, but that is another thread. It could be used as a reason to stay self contained though if needed. I'd go to admin to get what I wanted, but leave the moron out of the conversation. I have taught with team teaching partners about half of my career in a huge school.
    My 1st yr there I was not friends w/ my partner. It was NOT fun, but I needed the job. The next yr, I was fortunate enough to get a teacher who became 1 of my bf's in life. We spent 12 years as TTP's, our kids grew up together, we socialized, collaborated on our own time at the beach, during dinner, and at homes. We made each other better teachers. It is hard to find a person like her though. She is a gem. We were just meant to be.
    Just from my experience, watching other team partners over the years, I'd want to be self contained unless I had a really fun partnership. It is hard to share kids, plan together, and even get along if you have someone like that for a partner.
    I think I'd keep my door shut more and the admin will "figure him out." They may have already. I am sorry you are having a tough year. Best wishes!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 2, 2020

Is not a personality conflict. It is direct damage to students. 2+2=5 is not something to live with and hope for better next year.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2020

It has been my experience that turning on a peer does not usually end positively.
    I have worked with incompetent teachers and karma catches up without having to involve myself in a messy situation.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2020

It seems like there is both. You said that you didn't mesh from the start. That's a personality conflict. That's easy enough to get over. I don't have to like everyone at work. Some people just don't have personalities that mesh with mine.

The other part is above your pay grade. Drop some hints or go directly to admin with your concerns, then leave it alone. As long as your school has strong admin and good teachers in general, the ones who aren't doing their job will not be around long.

Tired Teacher, bella84 and Backroads like this.
  9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2020

I don't see how there is any way admin doesn't know. You said he had a mentor teacher an instructional coach. If those people saw things being taught incorrectly, they would have said something to admin as it would have been within their role to do so. If the coach was in there a lot, it's likely because he was identified as a teacher who needed more help. Admin also did observations and some sort of eval process, right?

I personally would stay out of it unless directly asked. Admin already knows and for whatever reason is choosing not to do anything about it. Whatever their reasons are, it will only reflect poorly on you in their eyes if you go to "tattle" on a fellow teacher, especially without being in some sort of official position to actually be observing this teacher (mentor, coach, etc.). If you were in one of those positions, you could frame it as, "I'm struggling with how to help this new teacher and I need advice." But coming from a place of listening in on his class when you're supposed to be teaching your own will just look bad, IMHO.

We have a 1st grade teacher at my school who can't manage her way out of a paper bag. Her class is mad chaos, all day long. Literally 80% of the kids running around and hitting each other, shouting, throwing things, toppling over furniture, etc. The coach spent quite a bit of time in her room last year. I was shocked to see her back this school year. Admin 100% knows what her room looks like, and there's no way any learning is happening even if she does teach the skills properly. For whatever reason they chose to give her another chance. I cringe every time I walk in there to pick up my kids, but me going and saying something to admin isn't going to make one bit of difference. They already know what it looks like in there.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 4, 2020

I’m sure admin already know he’s incompetent.

Not to derail the thread, but I haven’t seen departmentalization below 4th grade. As a former 1st and 2nd grade teacher, I enjoyed being self contained. I can’t imagine my K-3 team ever considering going departmentalized. It just doesn’t seem productive to me.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2020

Yes we do have a personality conflict and I am fully aware that I may not be liked by everyone and I don't like everyone either. We have both had our moments where we both have been unprofessional towards each other and we have managed to be very cordial towards each other. Today is one of them!!!! I'm about to loose my shit on him and his pompass arrogant Im better than you are attitude. Of course that will get me in trouble so Ill just bite my tongue and let my husband hear all the gripes. As far as admin, well we have a brand new principal who is absolutely in over her head. She has no clue about just about everything and soooo his teaching is not on her list of things to worry about. We no longer have an instructional coach either. Soooo really I guess I was just here to gripe. LOL

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2020

I would rather be self contained at this level as well. Thankfully I was given that choice this year. Hopefully we will still be able to have that same choice next year.

13. Toby A

Toby A Rookie

Oct 20, 2020

Talk to him.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Oct 20, 2020

I used to do a whole hallway of posters ( kid made) of when: 2 + 2 did not = 4. It was great fun and could include math whiz kids and sped kids at the same time. Once a math program took over, a lot of fun things slowly went by the wayside.

Backroads likes this.
  15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2020

that would not be something I feel comfortable doing. We have a strained relationship at best. I am definitely not going to tell him his shortcoming as a teacher.

vickilyn likes this.