What would you do

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Greenteach242, May 3, 2019.

1. Greenteach242

Greenteach242 New Member

May 3, 2019

What would you do if your own child, a first grader, came home with his name written many times on a paper. You ask him why and he replies that in his class now when they forget to write their name on their paper when turning it in, they have to write it over and over. Also, the total required goes up every time someone in the class forgets. Now it is up to 40. The kids know who the “forgetters” are, which is embarrassing. You work at the same school as this teacher. WHAT on earth do you do? I’m livid.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 3, 2019

Well, it doesn’t seem to be working if he is up to 40. How many was the original number?

I’ve had kids redo work without a name, highlight their name before turning it in, and initial a grading sheet when they turn it in. Still no-name papers. Now I have a class that does name checks. They have to check a buddy’s paper for a name. These are 8th graders. I have a basket of no name papers I’ll end up tossing because they won’t claim them. I toss them at the end of every grading period.

Is everyone writing his/her own mane when someone else forgets? I’d resent that as a student. As a “forgetter”, I’d hope to get my act together and remember. Say something if it bothers you. However, if your school is almost over for the year, I’d just let it go.

ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 4, 2019

If I were to Intervene, I’d just speak to the teacher (and make it clear that you are saying this as a parent, not a colleague) and say that you would prefer your kid to not have to be punished for doing the right thing.
    On the other hand, can I play devil’s advocate (I’m not saying I agree with the teacher, because I don’t) but to get everyone’s opinion, do you think that by not intervening (in a case where learning isn’t really impacted and the students are not harmed) we are teaching our children that they have to learn that different teachers have their own way of teaching and handling things and they have to learn to adapt to each teacher’s style, because they will encounter many teachers both good and bad in the course of their education.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 4, 2019

I'd bring it up to the teacher, but in the kindest way possible. I might start with saying some positive things that you like about what the teacher has done for your child. Then let her know that you understand how frustrating it is for students to not put their names on their papers, but that it bothers your child when he has to write it and he does the right thing. I am sure it is not an easy thing for you to do. Your child, the other children, and future children will be better off because of your brave interaction.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 4, 2019

Agreed. If it was a consequence for a single student, fine, but it does not seem fair to have the number go up every time any student forgets.

I'd completely support 5 or even 10 times of repetition but 40 is excessive.
    I do also agree with this though. It's almost the end of the year and no real harm has come from it. Although you don't agree with the method, your child learned "my teacher means what she says." If you go to bat on this with the teacher, your child will learn a different lesson: "if I don't like what a teacher says, I can complain to Mom and she'll make it so I do not have to do it." Although you disagree with the specific consequence, I'm not sure that second lesson is one you want to teach your child as he's going forward through his education.

7. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 4, 2019

I'm with Otter on this one. If it were MY kids, I'd probably Danozo slap them and tell em to put their name on their stuff.

otterpop likes this.
  8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 4, 2019

I'd be irritated because I think 40 times is excessive for a first grader AND because my kid obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Let this one go, Mom. You will do no one any favors by jumping in on this. I'm sure you have rules in your classroom that others don't like. How would you feel if a mother came at you questioning your methods? This is not harming your child. Obviously he didn't care much if he's up to 40 times now and you're just learning about it. He didn't even mention it to you this time.

a2z likes this.
  9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 4, 2019

First, are you certain your child understands the situation correctly? (For example, he may have meant that each time an individual forgets, they write it an additional five times, but he phrased it to you to mean what you wrote in your original post. At that age, I find that sometimes, not always, it is just a communication issue.)
    Second, group punishments are not always the best. Time could be used more effectively than writing one's name endlessly. However, with so little time left, I agree with the others, teach your child that they have to adjust, let it go.
    Third, if I were working with the same colleague next year, I might ask them about their no name policy and how it worked and perhaps gently suggest a better way to achieve the desired result.
    I hate no name papers. However, they receive no credit as I am not always able to discern the person who wrote the paper. If I can figure it out (only one is missing and everyone was present), I do call it to their attention and let them know they avoided a zero, but they may not always experience such good fortune. First grade is a tough grade to teach, so let's assume your colleague is doing the best they can and could probably use fresh ideas -- next year when your kid is in 2nd grade. :)

otterpop likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 4, 2019

This is not how I read the OP's post.

I pictured this:
    The number 5 is written on the board. If a child turns in a paper with no name, that child writes their name on her paper 5 times. The teacher changes the number to 6. The next child that forgets a few days later writes his name 6 times. Teacher changes number to 7. The next child to forget writes her name 7 times. And so on. I can see how that number would easily get to 40 for the whole class over the course of the year. I do not think the OP means that her own child forgot 40 times, personally. The number increases each time any child forgets.

I could be wrong but that's how I read it.

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 6, 2019

You are right. I don't know why I thought it went up in increments of 5's.
    Maybe just pure hope that someone has not been doing this for an extended period of time. Yikes.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 7, 2019

I'm not sure if I got this right but if your child did not forget to write his name on his paper from now until the end of the school year then he wouldn't have to write his name 40 (or more) times? Or does everyone have to do it anyway even if they remember? I think I would tell my kid if he doesn't want to do it anymore then stop forgetting to write your name!! Problem solved!

a2z likes this.
  13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Dare I say, go to Office Depot and make a rubber stamp with their name on it. Sarcasm yes. Will it work, maybe...What is this teaching them? You have to be responsible.

How about an old fashion bribe/behavior modification.

“Honey, when you come home with a paper and your name is on it, I’m gonna give you two dollars!”

Only so many weeks left of school right?;)

14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 24, 2019

Why would I pay my kids to do things that they're supposed to be doing anyways? Besides it's their responsibility. Their grades, their responsibility.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

I understand your frustration, but a little behavior modification with some positive reinforcement goes along way. That’s a teaching strategy that has been used by all of us. It doesn’t have to be money, it can be stickers or gummy bears.

I gave my kid $10 for every “A” she earned and next thing you know I gave her $50. Of course I stopped, but I think it was well worth it. She made it to NJHS and NHS, graduated at the top of her class. Earned her MBA and she’s now a financial planner. If I tell her I’m in a tight spot, she Zelle’s me $50 now just because...:p

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Teacher sounds totally old school. Who among us didn’t have to write lines? Or our spelling words five, 10, 20 times each, or for punishment “ I love you 1000 times” if the teacher caught you passing a love note. That’s one of my favorite songs.

I am not necessarily justifying the consequence, but “Put your name and date on your paper.” is definitely a line we have all preached over and over again, and a skill your soon-to-be-2nd grader should be able to do.

Something more severe would be: ”You get an F because I don’t know who you are, and technically if your name is not on the paper, you didn’t do the work.” I’m sure you wouldn’t want that to happen.

17. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 24, 2019

...who is frustrated about anything? I'm so glad you bribed your child. I'm proud of you. Mine have 3.9 GPAs without bribery. So I don't really see your point.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

I’m gonna say this is the nicest way possible. It’s times like this when I really want to stay off this site. It hasn’t even been 24 hours, and I thank you for ruining it for me.

You do what you want. Just remember, you are the one who asked, “What would you do?” Clearly you are frustrated, otherwise you wouldn’t be here.

19. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 24, 2019

Uh, no I didn't. I'm not OP.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Yeah but you still ruined it.

21. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 24, 2019

Okay, have a nice day. Hope your day improves.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Explain to your son that his name is important, and it represents who he is and his work. Have pride and ownership for what you do.

The consequence may have appeared severe, but he’ll be given more challenging work and responsibilities. Your name is the first thing on your paper, period.

Papers without names don’t get credit, end up in the garbage, etc. Then he has to do the work over. When two or more kids constantly do this, the teacher doesn’t have time to argue about who gets the “A” and who earned the “F”. They both lose a grade.

23. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jun 25, 2019

When I work with first graders I ALWAYS remind them, as they turn in their papers, that their name must be on them. Most of the time I have them turn the papers in directly to me, and I glance at them to be sure it has a name. If not, I give it right back to the kiddo and get the name.
    If I am doing something that we are gong to go over in class, (or maybe a test) I pass out the papers, have them write their names, and then lay their pencils down. I walk around the room to be sure each student has done so, then we begin the work. It only takes a minute and seems to work pretty well.

I also tell them how awful it would be if, when trying to get a full scholarship to the greatest college in the world, and they had to write an essay and they left their name off, how they would cry!