What would you do...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jteach89, Aug 14, 2017.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 14, 2017

Hey everyone, would you resign from a teaching position at the beginning of the school year or mid year if you were unhappy with administrations lack of professionalism? I know its not a lot of information lol but on what grounds would you leave a school mid year or even at the beginning of the year after meeting parents? I'm currently not happy with how administrators approached me regarding a situation. At the same time, I would feel guilty for leaving the school year so abruptly. I've been working at this school for 4 years and I wish I would have made choices earlier but I feel it's time for me to leave. What would you do? Any advice? Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2017

I'd suggest you work on growing a thicker skin for the time being. Could be this administrator lacks in social skills or talks that way to everyone. You can't quit every time an administrator acts stupidly...because it happens often enough. LOL.
    If you have a mentor, trusted colleague or union rep in whom you can confide, you might feel better and there might be some recourse (you didn't give enough info).
    Good luck!

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2017

There can be serious consequences for breaking contract. Unless they are being abusive, I would just avoid contact with them as much as possible. Lay low and try not to interact with them unless necessary. Just stay in your room and teach your heart out. After all, you're not there for them, you're there for the children.

5. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 14, 2017

@Czaca didnt want to say too much but basically admins are irritable that I want to leave to another district and gave a snarky remark. I was hurt by it because I've worked very hard there, and its not like I just started yesterday. I was also very open and honest as to why I wanted to leave. But I could suck it up for a year but having major trust issues with admins now.

@ TrademarkTer where I work I have to give at least 30 days notice if I decide to leave.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2017

I left mid-year once. My last day was the day before winter break began, and I started in a new district in January. Another teacher left her job at a third school to take over the classroom I was leaving behind. I was at a charter school, so the contract could be broken at any time by either me or the administration. They weren't happy about it, but I gave notice and left on relatively good terms. I left because I was unhappy with administration, workload, and salary... but I would have stuck it out if I hadn't had another job lined up or if I was unable to break my contract.

Based on the details you've given, I'd stick it out for the time being but work on finding a new position elsewhere. I don't think leaving without a new job to move on to would do any good for your career. I agree with czacza that you're going to be faced with administrators you want to get away from more often than not, so you might as well learn how to deal with them. Unless things get really bad (and I mean causing you health issues or something like threats to let you go mid-year), I'd recommend you stick it out as long as possible. Stay there until you have a new school to move on to.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2017

Were you thinking of leaving this year, like even before this happened? How do they know that you want to leave?

8. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 14, 2017

Admins were suggesting that we look else where because the school was doing poorly and we were not %100 guaranteed our positions in the fall. One of the reasons I wanted to leave was based on the commute. Honestly they are such a flip-flop but I won't go there lol. Prior to this year over the summer I've been applying to schools, applied 40+ applications only got two call backs. However because I missed the transfer period administration has to release me if I were to go to another school but they are not required to so. And yes I wanted to leave this year but now I feel like I have no choice. I just didn't like what was said and basically thrown the guilt trip. Yet I was very open about everything and they knew I was looking else where and wanted to leave.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

This is going to sound really bad but I don't know how else to say it. It doesn't sound like there is a lot of demand for your services. I don't think what admin said was all that bad. They are irritated that you have a job that you are looking to leave. A bad admin would be rude about it. It's not like they are harassing you though.

Is it a Charter or a public going through possible turnaround?

10. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 14, 2017

Yea even though things are not guaranteed I was still assigned a placement tentatively. Its a public school and if we keep losing students it could turn charter. And no not harassment. It wasn't bad just not professional. And honestly not the response I expected but I'm not surprised. I was more hurt by it because I thought I could trust them as I was open and honest about everything. It's other reasons why I want to leave and I was made to feel like I'm wrong for wanting to do so.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

I hear you, but in any line of work (schools included), there will be jerks. Just focus on the job at hand.

a2z, DAH and jteach89 like this.
  12. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 14, 2017

[QUOTE="jteach89,
    • would you resign from a teaching position at the beginning of the school year or mid year if you were unhappy
    • I would feel guilty for leaving the school year so abruptly.?
    • Any advice?[/QUOTE
    Hello Jteach. Absolutely, unequivocally NOT! (based on the info. you've given)
    We are in professional service jobs, and lots of things at the school hinge on the presence of teachers (and other staff). Just because administration is not acting professional, DO NOT LET THAT AFFECT YOUR PROFESSIONALISM.

DO WHAT'S RIGHT in spite of what they did.
    If you signed the contract for a year, and you're not sick or injured, stick with it, and leave at the end of the term. This is a CHARACTER-BUILDING situation.

If you jump-up and run off, and leave the school in a pickle, your professional reputation could be ruined for years by the principal. Based on the information you provided, my advice to you is, STAY, and make the best of it.

a2z and novaguy1968 like this.
  13. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

What they said was, they do not want to hold any teacher in their school who doesn't want to be there. There was another snarky remark but depending on some people maybe they don't take things as personally.
    No it wasn't that statement alone. I've been there for 4 years, it's not like I just started yesterday.

"DO WHAT'S RIGHT in spite of what they did. If you signed the contract for a year, and you're not sick or injured, stick with it, and leave at the end of the term. This is a CHARACTER-BUILDING situation."

I can leave whenever I want, no contract "signed" per se. As long as I give enough notice so I will not be penalized for it.

"If you jump-up and run off, and leave the school in a pickle, your professional reputation could be ruined for years by the principal."

Even if I do stay a year, I wouldn't use them as reference anyway.

I get that it's not the professional thing to do. And maybe I'm taking it more personally than I should but I didn't like it. Now I also have some trust issues with admin, even though the trust issues started happening before this. It's been a large struggle from when I started until now. This job is already stressful as it is, and admins who get emotional and act like jerks doesn't make the job any easier. Its been a struggle since I started there. But I get it, its not the best move to make but Ive been thinking about it a lot.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

I think you're on to a real chance for some empathy here. Imagine you are an admin, and your school is close to being taken over and turned into a charter school. Your own job security is on the line. Don't you think you would have a lot of stress. Sometimes stress and emotion make us say things we shouldn't say, or at the very least reduce our filter that helps us use tact. It's unfortunate that your administrators seem to be doing a poor job rallying the troops to make the school better. If I had quit every time an administrator made me cry, I would not have made it out of my first year teaching.

DAH, AlwaysAttend and bella84 like this.
  15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

Some schools will call your last administrator (or at least HR) regardless of whether or not you put them as a reference. Be careful.

DAH likes this.
  16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    DAH likes this.
  17. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

It was the snarky remark and among other things. Many OTHER THINGS lol. I just do not trust my admin now since they boldly state how they "don't want any teachers that don't want to be in their school." And it also has to do with other issues as well. The school is losing students. I just hope that they don't make my year like crap, If I stay, I will keep my distance and only go to them when I need too. I've shed too many tears over this school and what for...

DAH and Leaborb192 like this.
  18. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

In hindsight applying online for schools was not the best way to get interviews. If I would have gotten a transfer before the ending date to transfer, I wouldn't need a release from admin. I would have left before September but now I have no choice sadly. I was prepared to leave.

19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2017

MathGuy82 and czacza like this.
  20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I can sincerely say no leader wants people there who don't want to be there. Leaders want people who buy into their vision and help see it to fruition. The good ones deal with the people who don't in a professional manner.

agdamity, bella84, DAH and 1 other person like this.
  21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 15, 2017

I can't imagine a scenario where an administrator's lack of professionalism in a situation would lead me to resign mid-year. If it is severe enough for me to consider leaving, it would be severe enough for me to turn to HR and file a complaint.

MathGuy82, MrsC and Caesar753 like this.
  22. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

"...would you resign from a teaching position at the beginning of the school year or mid year if you were unhappy with administrations lack of professionalism?"

Actually, no. I have been very unhappy with admin. I don't necessarily love some of our policies and the way we are pressured to teach to the test. However, I no longer let this stuff get to me. I'm an employee, so I do what I am told. I teach what I must. I still feel like I can do a pretty decent job within those perimeters. There are times I do wish that I was in a school that was more traditional and had more common sense policies. Yet jobs in my area are almost impossible to get so switching jobs or positions is not really any option. So I deal with the hand I was dealt. I think a lot of my coworkers are also in the same boat.

As to management in our building, we've gone through a slew of principals. Each one is different. We are dealing with a lot of unprofessional treatment. However, I think the teachers who have the most issues with this suspect that they will outlast this principal. Therefore, they stick it out. I even had a colleague who despised one of our principals. He work not work for him and transferred. The principal also got transferred suddenly to the same school!

I say try not to let things bother you. I would just do my job the best I could and stay under the radar. We almost never see our current principal or VP around. They seem to be putting out a lot of fires and don't have the time or inclination to do walk throughs or not mandatory observations. This is 100% fine with me! I rarely contact them or "bother" them with anything unless it can't be helped.

Then again, if this school is a sinking ship and other jobs are available, it would be tempted to take a leap!

23. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 15, 2017

[QUOTE="2ndTimeAround, I can't imagine a scenario where an administrator's lack of professionalism in a situation would lead me to resign mid-year. .[/QUOTE]

It's not even MID YEAR!!!
    This is TWO DAYS AFTER SCHOOL STARTED! Yikes!

24. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

I don't considering leaving mid-year to be walking out on students... It can be, when no notice is given at all and the transition is sloppy. But, I think we sometimes make too big of a deal about teachers leaving mid-year. It can be done in a way that isn't seen as "walking out on the students" or unprofessional. Teachers are real people with real lives, just like a people in any other profession. Sometimes living situations change, health issues arise, a new career opportunity presents itself, or people just reach their breaking point. As long as a resignation is done in a professional manner, with ample notice and respect given to the students, administrators, and the person replacing them, it doesn't have to be seen as such an awful thing to do.

In this particular situation, I don't think it would be wise for the OP to leave right now, but there are plenty of other possible situations where I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone to leave mid-year if it were the right move for that person.

jteach89 likes this.
  25. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm of the opinion that some people have valid reason - a chance at a higher salary, an opportunity in a district that no one can ever get into it, a shorter commute, spouse transferring to a new job out of state, etc. Sometimes teachers have to put themselves and their families ahead of the students and school, even if the timing isn't optimal.

Again, I don't think that's the case here, in this particular situation. However, I also don't think it's right to expect that teachers pass up an amazing opportunity or a better situation for themselves and their families, simply to "serve the students". :2cents:

26. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2017

I did. And, I agree with you that the OP needs to just deal with it. It's rare to have a high-quality administrator and even rarer to find one who is easy to work for.

My comment was in response to your comment that leaving mid-year would be walking out on the students. I disagree with that statement in general and in this particular case.

27. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 15, 2017

1. Look for another job.
    2. Quit once you have your other job.
    3. The world continues to turn just fine.

MathGuy82, bella84 and jteach89 like this.
  28. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

Thank you all for your advice. I wasn't going to mention anything regarding the leaving mid-year as walking out on the students but In all honesty they will "get over it". Kids tend to adjust well, and they are young kids.

I didn't give a lot of info and perhaps I could have when I originally started this post but the response from admin was kinda like the icing on the cake. I wanted to leave for a variety reasons and here is some: 1.) School is failing and losing kids. Although things are mellowing out with behavior and test scores, losing kids is not good. 2.) The commute, my commute by train is about and 1 hour and 15 mins from where I live. For some they don't mind the commute, love their school so so much and/or don't have a choice because they need a job. I'm in the city and I don't drive so I rely on public transportation. And I get tired of taking the train and dealing with the crappy people on the train. 3.) THE SETTING. I kinda don't want to say what kind of setting it is but DM me if anyone wants to know. I will say the setting, and set up of a classroom environment can affect both teachers and students learning. 4.) Unequal accountability from admin and culture. Don't get me wrong, I could end up in a school that could be worst. I just feel a lack of support from admin regarding holding everyone accountable and not just teachers. I also feel that admin can be a little too "friendly" with others but doesn't know when to set boundaries and lets other people get away with stuff. They can yell or "guilt trip" me into something but have a hard time telling others "NO".

I shared more than I wanted to but oh well. lol

I wouldn't just leave a job and not have anything lined up. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. It's been a rollercoaster time after time. I even thought about even leaving public school, going back to daycare, taking a pay cut, giving up summers and random weeks off just to have a "normal' life. And then decide if I want to go to the classroom. If I were to quit, I would definitely do it in a professional matter. In a way, I was praying for a new school and new setting so that maybe it would give me hope and give teaching a chance.

bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  29. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 15, 2017

Except for when they get an inferior teacher or have a week or more transition time which speeds up the rest of the curriculum which is always tight to begin with.

30. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

See, based on what she said, I'm thinking of a completely different setting than I think you are.

31. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

It's not indentured servitude. Schools have no problem riffing or non renewing. As long as sufficient notice is given (30-60 days), I wouldn't fault. I would tell you to make sure you find a job closer to home so you can use that as the reason with new admin. Last thing anyone should do in interview is speak poorly of a former supervisor or school.

bella84 and DAH like this.
  32. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2017

This sounds very much like here in NYC. If that is indeed your location I'm going to say do not resign at all it makes it so much harder to get back in even if you want to teach at another district in the system.

I just left a school that was very similar to what you are describing. We had been in danger of receivership (state taking over) and also enrollment was down big time. Positions had been cut my second year there but thankfully I was not excessed. Fast forward to May of this year, my P made a comment that I should put out feelers at other schools, then my P said it again in June when placements were made known to teachers, if you want more clarification on this because I don't want to post it here you can PM me. I was devasted and super pissed that I immediately applied to every job I could commute to on open market (transfer system). I was truly afraid that if I had to go back to my school I would be super depressed, so many scenarios were running through my mind at this point of what could happen. Especially that I didn't want my admin to know I was actually looking because I didn't trust them anymore at this point. I was so afraid I wouldn't find anything before the transfer deadline and I didn't want to ask my P for a release. I applied to over 100 positions and emailed P's at schools directly. I had about 10 or so interviews mostly the week before school ended and right after 4th of July. I was offered a position the second week of July and thankfully a lot of my stress about finding a job before the deadline went away.

My P has a mindset of if you don't want to be at the school you shouldn't be. I had to fake it for 2 weeks until school ended, I don't think I could for a whole other year. I also don't think I would have been there anyways come September if my P had any way to try and excess me...but that's another story... So you have a tough decision to make. Try your hardest to find another position before school starts, or fake it for another year (if you are in NYC) because everyone here will tell you resigning is not wise.

I truly wish you luck and hope you can find another job. Can you find out if your P will release you at this point? That way you can aggressively email other P's and say yes my P will release me so I'm available to interview.

33. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 15, 2017

I really hope you both worked at the same school and had no idea lol

jteach89 and bella84 like this.
  34. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2017

It wouldn't be the first time I found someone on a teaching forum that worked at my school...lol but not to get your hopes up, it's definitely not the same school. That particular scenario we were in at my school 2 years ago, but I've been there.

jteach89 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  35. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 18, 2017

Teaching in Indiana has taught me a lot about loyalty.

Working in a state where things have fallen apart, or are falling apart, affords a certain clarity others will deny. Both the oblivious and the nefarious will take offense at warnings or allusions that all is not well.

Clearly, there are those who play at your sense of loyalty whilst having none of their own. Legislators. Lobbyists. The one-percenters. Administrators. Everyone running a for-profit outfit.

Keep your head down. Toughen up. Drink. Do it for the kids. Just one more year. Your career is ruined if you leave. It's a matter of professionalism.

No.

Just. No.

Unless you are really into the whole Stockholm syndrome thing.

readingrules12 likes this.
  36. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2017

If I left each time a principal was unprofessional, I would have quit so many times, I would not be employable. It goes with the territory. I am not saying it is easy or fun.

I would not quit. I would stay there for the students. If you quit, where would you go? Whether you are in teaching or another profession (most unprofessional boss I ever had was in business), there is always a chance of an unprofessional boss.

37. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 19, 2017

I personally don't think my career would be ruined. And no I won't want to "run" to drinking to solve any problems. I wouldn't just leave without anything lined up. I was just overall feed up with where I was. I'm barely reaching the 5th year mark and I'm still debating of this career is for me. I get sucking it up but there's but so much crap I'm going to take.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  38. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 19, 2017

It's not like I just got there, Ive been their 4 years now. I'm not sure where I would go but I just didn't want to be in that school anymore. If I could I would quit tomorrow lol, but I don't have a choice.

39. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 20, 2017

I am sorry about what you are going through. This poster feels strongly I think it's just a bit more than the admin having a bad day now and then. My principal can be rude at times as well, as well as other team members, but thankfully it's not every day. If it's bullying behavior, then I would get HR involved. If they fire you or find a reason to fire you for doing this, then it could be a lawsuit. If it's things like name calling, gender putdowns, body image statements, sexual preference/marriage putdowns, yelling, then you could go to HR. I had to do this 2 years ago with another colleague who was and is still really weird and I ignore her at all costs but have to work with her at times. This colleague had to go through two weeks of meeting with HR and hopefully it taught her a lesson. If it's not any type of bullying/harassment then... You could do the following.
    1. Look for another job.
    2. Wait until the end of the year and try to transfer or look for something else.
    I worked at one school where I waited until the end of the year but didn't come back. If it's bad, it's not good for you and your overall wellness. Yes, we do have to deal with jerks but if it's frequent and things are going south with your overall well being, it's good to get out when you can. Sometimes it's good to have a colleague to talk about this.
    I've started to notice more and more of chaotic working conditions in schools. I just met with three other teachers last week due to bad behavior overall among the admin and other staff. I think we are in need of an overhaul in our educational system. Things are better this week but will see about next week.

40. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 20, 2017

I think OP fell into the trap of admitting to administration that he/she wants to leave. Coming from experience with my situation last year, I understand how such an innocent answer to a P can be used against you. I also can understand why it would feel hopeless when you're told to look for another job. Last school year, I was "highly encouraged" by my P back in February to look for a job closer to home. So I was basically dead-man walking for 4 months. The OP just started or will start soon.... I'd be saddened too with this information. However, I took my final 4 months to work hard on finding new employment and left on excellent terms. I believe my former P established a clean break and made my firing seem not very shocking. OP, give your P some credit. At the very least, you've been told to look..... At least you're prepared for the worst. Now you can continue looking, and, when you find you new job, you'll have escaped a sinking ship. Yes, you will feel bad for the kids but save yourself and family first when possible.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2017

I too feel you should stay until the end of the school year if you possibly can. This will probably be the best for your students and you, professionally. I'm sure it won't be entirely easy, but maybe that will help you appreciate your new school that much more once you complete this contract. :)

jteach89 likes this.
  42. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 20, 2017

There is a district nearby that keeps reminding teachers that they will run out of money for payroll by October first. How can you remain loyal to that?

Like you say, there is only so much one can take. For too long now, this nation has expected teachers to take whatever is being dished out.

Some accept sacrifices as small or tolerable, telling themselves and others that it's only temporary, that things will get better. But it never gets better. The more we teachers are willing to give up, the more they will take.

Eventually, you find yourself working in an Indiana or Kansas or Mississippi, wondering how your life ever got so bad.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    MathGuy82 likes this.
  43. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2017

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  44. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 20, 2017

I don't see the problem with being told if you aren't happy to leave. You put out 40 resumes and only got 2 call backs. Seems there are enough people wanting work. Maybe admin would rather have someone happy and grateful for the position even in a failing school.

So where will you go if you leave?

45. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2017

I've been where you are, mostly because my principal and I have very similar temperaments but completely opposite communication styles. It actually led me to a second interview at another school mid-year (withdrew my candidacy). Perhaps, for now, try to find the things that you DO like about where you are. Focus on the individual students who make your day when they walk into your classroom. Pick a student or five that you would like to see grow and change, and see how you can cultivate their progress. Find a teacher with whom you can forge a good cross-curricular project and run with it.

Worst case scenario, since you are an at-will employee, keep an eye out for openings for mid-year and for next year. They will happen.

jteach89 likes this.
  46. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Aug 22, 2017

Thanks you all for your feedback. I've had sometime to think and trying to be positive about it. Still pondering but there is a 95% chance I will stay. I feel like I have no other choice and I do feel restricted.

@ MathGuy82 P is not a bully but is selective of who P chooses to say "no" to or in what tone they verbally reprimand someone.

@Pi-R-Squared my P knew I wanted and told us to start looking. P just got upset when I asked for a transfer after the transfer period. P guilted me into staying so to speak.
    I'll see what happens when I go back in a few weeks.

I didn't mention this but I did have a job offer before the transfer deadline but it got rescinded due to it not being in the budget. Everything happens for a reason so I guess I'm meant to be there one more year..