What would you do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msrosie, Jul 25, 2015.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Y'all know a bit of background because I've been posting about my job search and stuff.

So I was offered a LTS for the first half of the school year (September until February) it's a great school - small classes, supportive admin, for the most part supportive parents, great teachers. And I absolutely want to take it if I wind up without a permanent position because it's wonderful and LT experience can't be beat.

However, the P wants a final irreversible answer no later than Wednesday. So, if I accepted, I'd miss out on interviewing in the crunch during the last 2 weeks of summer. It's not a contracted position, but she made it very clear that if I accepted, even if it is before the regular teacher goes on leave, it's final and leaving if offered a permanent position would be unacceptable.

Now, once I'm actually in the position, I wouldn't even consider leaving before the regular teacher came back. I'm not one who goes back on my word once I've started something.

So what would you do? Accept and risk losing out on a permanent contracted position, accept and back out if you are offered a contracted position before the start of the leave, or turn it down all together and risk daily subbing during the school year (the two other districts I sub in actually pay a higher daily wage than the LT district's LT pay)?

3. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

If I were in your position..

:2cents:
    I don't have a contract yet, so we are in the same position. I am also looking and hoping for a "late summer" opening or even beginning of school year opening. You are correct that LT experience is good, but remember that you will not have income from Feb-June if you take the LTS position. Furthermore, you are not accruing pension or benefits. Finally, I am not positive that LTS experience is on par with "regular" teaching experience. I speak from experience, because I was a sub and it didn't count in many interviews, only my actual teaching experience counted.

That being said, I don't know your exact situation. I am refraining from taking LTS jobs until I actually have no other choices. I also don't like the "irreversible" aspect that you are speaking of, and that if offered a position you are stuck in a sub job.

JUST MY :2cents:;)

4. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Is it common in your area for there to be a lot of hiring right before school starts? If it is, then I wouldn't take the LTS job. I would rather be a daily sub (which you said pays more) and hope for interviews right before school starts.

Good luck!

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

It's pretty common. I have 4 interviews next week alone. And I applied for 3 other positions yesterday that haven't scheduled interviews yet. And my home district often hires for at least 3-4 elementary positions during the first week of school.

They also tend to do a fair bit of hiring midyear, there were elementary postings being hired for as late as March last school year for various reasons. There's almost always something open or opening up.

6. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Wow that's great that you have so many interviews! I would definitely turn down the LTS offer.

7. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Listen, I understand that admin must take care of their school first and foremost but for an admin to say the bolded would leave a sour taste in my mouth and I would seriously consider turning the offer down. Especially, if I had interviews set up like you seem to have and my pay would be higher as a regular sub.

IMO it is never unacceptable to leave a temporary position for permanent position which will also have benefits.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2015

I'd turn the LTS job down. I'm big on keeping my word but I also think it's acceptable to leave a temporary job for a permanent job with benefits.

If a daily rate in a district you can work in pays more than the long term subbing pay, then that is a solid back up plan.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2015

I would pass on the LTS. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a person if they gave me an ultimatum like that. I've worked in five schools- three principals would never have said anything like that. Ironically, those are the only three schools that I was happy at. Good administration (meaning both involved in general and actually caring about their staff and students) is the only thing that matters.

10. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Honestly, her giving the ultimatum is what has left me so unsure about accepting it in the first place. It's why I've been sitting on it for so long. It's rubbed me the wrong way too.

I understand that she has to think of the best interest of her school, but I have tothink of my best interest, ya'know?

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 27, 2015

I would say as long as you wouldn't be upset if you did not land a permanent position in the next few weeks and would be ok with subbing, to turn it down. I agree with what others have said, that the P saying that would turn me off from taking it. There are so many candidates out there that if you did take it and turn it down, the P should be able to quickly replace you.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

If you have 4 interviews scheduled, I would turn down the LTS. She doesn't sound like a great person to work for anyway.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 27, 2015

First, I have to say, this is the biggest reason I have such a problem with education as a profession. There are virtually no other fields that can hold you hostage as a professional like that.

I would have to ask-what is "unacceptable"? Is she going to try to go after your license? Because that is a huge red flag.

If it were me, I would probably turn the tables. I would tell her you will accept the job, but if you are offered a permanent position before XX date, you will take it. Make her be the one to rescind.

But I'm stubborn like that!

14. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

I don't believe that to be true. Non-compete clauses are common in many contracted positions.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 27, 2015

Yeah, for those employees that possess valuable trade secrets, or confidential business information. If a nurse wants to move from one clinic to another, or an accountant is changing firms, a non-compete clause isn't going to be enforced. That person certainly isn't locked into a year long contract. Basically, the only time a non-compete is enforced is when a person is leaving one firm that produces an exclusive product or idea, for an identical or very similar firm that produces a similarly exclusive product or idea.

So yeah, if you're a high level engineer at Google, they might want to keep you from going to Yahoo.

But keeping a teacher from advancing his or her career because, presumably, it's "hard" to find a replacement...that's crap. a) It's not hard, b) a little market competition might actually improve the quality of educators and the level of pay, and c) it would give teachers a little more leverage in a paltry market.

16. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

I scheduled my fifth interview this week this morning, and I'm sitting down to draft an email turning down the LT now. I'm okay with doing the daily sub thing. And I have enough connections in my home district that I would LT there really easily if I don't land a permanent position in the next couple of weeks.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2015

That sounds like the most sensible thing to do. That P doesn't sound like someone who would inspire confidence in the employees.

18. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

I agree with your points. At the same time how many admin would go through the process to hold or suspend a license because you're not fulfilling the contract? I believe it would be timely and costly to do (although I do not know the actual process) and ultimately would be an empty threat, similar to a non-compete. Now I haven't been in education all that long, so I may be naive, but with management background the two just seemed to be similar cases.

My point was there are examples outside of education where employers do hold their employers to contracts.

Back to the OP. I believe you are making the wise decision.