What would you do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Dec 22, 2014

So I have an interview tomorrow for day-to-day substitute teaching in a new school district. I just went on their website and saw that they just posted for a full-time Special Ed. position (in a certain classroom I have full-time experience in). It said to apply online and to direct any questions to HR.

Now, I would LOVEEEEEE to get an interview for this position because I've done well in this type of classroom.

Obviously I'm applying online but do you think I should email HR to let them know that I applied for subbing but would like to be considered for this position. If so, how should I state it w/o sounding pushy?

And/Or should I bring it up to whoever I interview with tomorrow morning (I think it's a principal) even though it's just a brief interview for subbing?

Ah I don't know what to do! Tomorrow is the last day before Christmas break!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2014

I would do both things, tell HR and definitely tell the P during your interview. Can you bring any documentation showing your success in that type of classroom?

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Dec 22, 2014

I have written recommendations from both my full-time teaching position as well as student teaching in this particular type of classroom. I also have a portfolio with interventions I've used. I think my best bet would to talk about what I've done in a future interview if I'm lucky.

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Dec 31, 2014

Take what you can get. People understand that you want to get the best offer. Do both! (sorry if I'm a little late)

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

Sub special ed !! :lol:

7. LovelyTee

LovelyTee Rookie

Jan 2, 2015

During the interview when the principal asks "any questions?" I'd mention the other position you're interested in.

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

Thanks guys. The interview already happened two days before Christmas. I did emphasis I was a Spec. Ed teacher (in this particular classroom) but it didn't seem to bother her but it did interest her because she said it hard to get subs with that experience as well as being dual certified.. I personally don't think she was aware that the position was opened (it was posted the night before) because she said this particular classroom was new in the district and did not mention it needed fill. The interview went great....really great. She wrote down on the form in CAPS to absolutely accept me for substituting for the HR office to see. A few hours later I did send an email to HR letting them know I interviewed for subbing in the morning and was interested in the posted position because I have a few years experience in it. I haven't heard back. Not sure if it's because it was right before the district let out for Christmas break or because of the obvious--- that HR rarely responds to people. School returns Monday and people need to apply for the position by Friday. I'm hoping to at least get an interview. If not, I felt really good at the substitute interview (I for once was not nervous....and it seemed more like a conversation rather than an interview). The principal even gave me a heads up that there will be at least 6 teacher-leave positions in the Spring (just for that particular school in the district) so that would also be nice (if I don't get a full-time job) if I could be considered for one of those. Fingers crossed for something good!!! I even went to the dentist yesterday and told her about my situation. She even said she hope something good happens....I hope so too!