What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ece, Aug 7, 2014.

  1. ece

    ece Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2014
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    7

    Aug 7, 2014

    I have been reading the threads on here for a long time to take in all the great advice, but I figured it was finally time to join in. Here's my situation. I interviewed with School A on Thursday 7/24 for an early childhood special ed position. I thought the interview went really well, but I had been having a lot of interviews lately, so I didn't think too much into it. Friday 8/1, I interviewed with School B, my dream school, after they finally posted a position I've been waiting all summer for. This is the school I student taught at, and I fell in love with it. It's also a little closer. The classroom is an early childhood preschool for all classroom, which would be my ideal classroom, too. It went well too. The only thing they told me, though, is that, because this is a new classroom opening, they had gotten verbal approval for the grant, but were still waiting on getting it actually in writing for it to become official, which they had no idea when that would happen. So they could call the candidate and say that that person was their choice, but no official job can be offered until the grant is official.

    That same afternoon after the interview on Friday, I got a call from School A saying that I was their candidate of choice and that HR would contact me to set up a second interview to discuss salary, benefits, etc. HR called me this late this Monday 8/4, I called them back Tuesday morning but the woman was out, and I finally got ahold of her yesterday (Wednesday) morning. We set up a time for tomorrow (Friday) afternoon for me to come in, and as she said, to sign the paperwork. So I know I already have an offer from School A. School B said they would call me either way by the end of this week. But what worries me is that what if I give up a sure thing with School A only to have the grant fall through with School B and have nothing? I don't know what the chances of that are. To complicate things a little further, when School A called me for the interview, they said that they already had someone for the job but this person backed out on them, and they weren't happy about it. So if I did get an offer from School B, I would be doing the same thing, and right before school is about to start, and I'd hate to do that. It's just that I'd also hate to pass up an offer from my dream school if I were to get it. I know I could always apply again next year and they wouldn't begrudge me for going with a sure thing. But there will be new and more recent student teachers by then, so would they go to these individuals first before me, since it's been a year for me?

    It may not even be an issue if School B doesn't call to offer me a job (and I'm debating whether it's worth calling them to check in this afternoon). It certainly would be a lot easier, and I'm happy to just have a job wherever. I just don't want to regret what could have been all year if I pass up School B, and I don't want to upset School A and put them into a panic either. So I'm asking, what would you do in the situation?
     
  2.  
  3. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    34

    Aug 7, 2014

    Think about this....what happens when the grant ends at school B and they are unable to renew it?
     
  4. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,764
    Likes Received:
    1,723

    Aug 7, 2014

    School is very close to beginning. School A has already expressed their opinion about people who jump ship. I would go with the job in hand.
     
  5. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2014

    I would call School B and see what they say. If they can't give you a better timeline or any info that sounds somewhat sure, I'd take School A. Maybe you can also ask for more time from school A. But I agree with the above posters that you should probably take School A. A job is a job in my opinion!
     
  6. texashistory

    texashistory Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2014

    A new grant funded position isn't secure enough. I've looked at position that specifically say "this is a grant funded position" and passed it on by. I want a teaching job very badly but I do want to stay employed and it being not secure would have me on edge all year.
     
  7. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Aug 7, 2014

    This.
     
  8. ece

    ece Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2014
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    7

    Aug 7, 2014

    Thank you for the replies! It's what I've been feeling too, I think. I do think that the grant will continue to be renewed if they get it because they have so many students and keep growing each year, and there are rules with PFA for how many to a classroom, which is why they needed this new one. But it's a good point to consider too that something could still happen to cause it not to be renewed. School B also has a high teacher retention rate, so I'm just worried that if I were to pass up on it this year, maybe there won't be another chance in the near future, and it's a place I know I'd love because I student taught there.

    Honestly it would be easier if they'd just call me and reject me to take the decision out of my hands! lol
     
  9. MissPapa

    MissPapa Comrade

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2014

    I'd stay with school A. If you signed something, it's a sure thing. Don't lose that. Work there for at least a year and see how things go. You may love it for all you know!!!
     
  10. vickilyn

    vickilyn Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    11,883
    Likes Received:
    2,939

    Aug 8, 2014

    I think you have received great advice here. Grants are generally unpredictable. Most of us would prefer NOT to have be job hunting again next summer, so we shy away from the real risk of the grant going unfunded for a second year. If, however, the grant is successful and perhaps taken on as a general course within the schools budget, in a year of two, you may want to go there. The truth is that teachers come and go, and you never know if a job will be gone from the market forever, or if it will reappear under different circumstances that make it more favorable. I, for one, don't believe that there is only one person who is our soul mate, nor do I believe that only one district can make us happy, fulfilled, and excited to go to work each day. Life is full of possibilities and potential, and sometimes what is a dream today is a nightmare tomorrow. Be flexible, and you will probably find that you are more comfortable in your years as a teacher. Just a thought.
     
  11. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Aug 8, 2014

    It's been a week. Go to School A today and sign the paperwork accepting the position.:2cents:
     
  12. ece

    ece Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2014
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    7

    Aug 8, 2014

    Thank you all again! I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason, and I think the timing, this late in the school year, as well as the other position not being 100% guaranteed, was enough of a sign that School A is where I'm meant to be this year. I can always apply to School B again next year because it's still where I want to end up, and I had a great phone conversation with the principal today there.

    So I went in today and filled out the paperwork at School A, and I'm excited to finally have a job! Now I'm in scramble mode, though, with only a week to prepare and so much to get ready in an Early Childhood classroom- I'm just going to try to take it one week at a time right now!
     
  13. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,764
    Likes Received:
    1,723

    Aug 8, 2014

    Congratulations. Have a great year!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 177 (members: 2, guests: 157, robots: 18)
test