What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Grammy Teacher, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2013

If your new co worker came into your room and took things out of your personal closet, things like your tape, stapler, books, etc. Yes, she does bring them back, but it's annoying to me. What would you do?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 17, 2013

I would make it clear to her that I would appreciate it if she asks me next time she needs to borrow something instead of just taking it, because sometimes I need these materials for my lessons and if they're not there, I'm in trouble.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 17, 2013

Just what Peregrin said...

I personally have no problem with people borrowing things but I like to know when it is there and not there so I'm not reaching for something I might need at that moment. If I know it isn't there, I'm going to be thinking ahead or finding a way to get it when I need it. I would politely just ask her to let you know so you will know what is there for your own lessons.

5. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 17, 2013

This happened to me once...it was very irritating, because things were either used up (the stapler was out of staples, etc.) or missing (only 25 scissors instead of 26.) So I scouted all the garage sales for awhile, and bought her a set of all the supplies she'd been borrowing from me. Didn't cost a lot, solved the problem, and sent the message nicely.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2013

I would lock those things up. Do you have that option?

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 17, 2013

Put a sign on your closet saying people should not take anything without asking. Then, when you see her doing it say, "oh, didn't you see my sign"?

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2013

I would talk with your coworker. If that doesn't work, I would start locking my cabinet.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2013

I have lots of coworkers who take my board markers while they use my classroom. So now I just hide my board markers or put them in a locking drawer! I prefer to avoid confrontations ;)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2013

Your suggestions are just as I thought and I have put a lock on my cabinet. Subs have told me that she is always in my closet when I'm gone. Yesterday, I told her she needs to use her own things. As mentioned above, I plan ahead and it's irritating to look for a book or whatever and it's gone! Not only has she been taking things, but someone else in the building has come up and taken books out of our "mutual" book storage that we have just for our two classrooms.
    I don't understand people sometimes. Just so not cool!
    P.S. Yesterday I told her she needs to use her own things and she just looked at me like she didn't understand! The locked cabinet should be a strong clue!:dizzy:

11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 17, 2013

A sign with the following verse:

"Sharing is fine,
    But please ask me first,
    Before you take something of mine."

12. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 17, 2013

Since its a new coworker do is there a chance they didn't know the supplies were your own personal belongings?(hard to imagine, but maybe?) I definitely would have spoke up too, otherwise it would just keep getting worse.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 17, 2013

I ha a co-worker who took things from my closet thinking they were purchased by the school for team use. They were actually my personal things.

She was embarrassed when I told her I had purchased those things with my money for a project, and I needed her to replace what he used. She really had no idea.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2013

She has worked there (in the past) for a very long time.