What would you do...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Danny'sNanny, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2011

Just wondering what would happen in other schools...

Student comes in to 2nd grade from private school.
    Can not read, does not know all the letter sounds, any writing is just strings of letters not really phonetically related to what he's trying to spell.

Retention was recommended previously; parents chose to change schools.

SPED testing shows a discrepancy between ability and achievement, but not much is glaringly obvious.

After 2 months of school, student has learned to read and spell most pre-primer words, a few primer words, and is at a guided reading level B.

In your school, what would happen next?
    How much would the teacher accommodate/modify?
    Would this student go to 3rd grade next year or repeat 2nd? How much progress would the student need to make to go on?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2011

Well, I teach in a private school. I have a student who is reading a t a level B, and when I say reading, I mean "reading" as in using picture clues and the few sight words he knows. We have only been in school a month, but I know there are serious issues. It sounds like his former school knew this too, as they recommended retention.

We would be referring the child for a ed-psych evaluation, special ed testing, and put in place any accomodations recommended by the special ed teachers. If then, there is still not adequate progress, we wouldn't be able to keep the child at our school, as they would have needs beyond our ability to serve. We would recommend a private school geared toward learning disabilities.

Now, when you say there is not much discrepancy between achievement and ability, is this to say the child has a low IQ and is performing at their ability more or less? If so, keep doing what you're doing. Retaining may help him gain second grade skills (he clearly needs more time) but may not help him in the long run, as it means he will just be retained again, or fall further behind in future years.

Since you probably CAN'T send him to another school (which is what we would need to do) you have to get him services. If he doesn't qualify, just keep working with him.

I would pass him up to 3rd grade if he is doing the best he can at his ability level. One day, he will be so far behind that they will get him services. Sometimes second grade is hard to do that for, because they haven't fallen behind enough. That's so sad, but that's how it works here. By the time they are in 3rd or 4th grade with K or 1 skills, they finally qualify!!!

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2011

Sorry I wasn't clear - testing showed that he has an average/high average IQ, but he obviously isn't performing there. Usually when I've had kids tested before, a big red flag shows up - as in "oh look, he has processing and retrieval issues, that is why he's struggling."

I'm wondering if he just didn't get the attention he needed at his last school.

I am absolutely giving him every possible service I can or can get for him. I am busting my tail! But we are a very high achieving school - 3/4 of my class is already working at a 3rd grade level. I'm afraid that next year's teachers will eat him alive! Even if we make 2 years of progress this year... he will still be more than a year behind his peers.

Just feeling frustrated. I'm fighting like crazy for this kid. But I also have a whole class of other kids and some really severe special needs, and I'm in a situation where 3 of my kids are taking 95% of my time and energy. And pretty much our entire SPED team is new this year, so there isn't a ton of support!