What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

OK guys, you may know I've been a sub for a loooong time & ready for something permanent & to ultimately be an SLP, etc. I've got 2 opportunities here, what would you do? This is regarding speech, not teaching. Thanks! :)

District/Choice #1 - I started subbing again since 8/12 at the dist I've always been at. It's a lg dist 30 min or less drive away between ea school from my house. They've already given me a long-term assingment of M-F ALL school yr. In the meantime, I'm waiting for them to interview/hire SLPAs, which I was last told should be less than a month from now. My current sub pay is $125/day & the SLPA pay is about $25-27/hr + benefits & it's full-time. I'm much more familiar w/ this dist.

District/Choice #2 - Other dist (w/o meeting me yet) already hired me to be a sub SLP for $217/day + mileage from 8/24 - Oct while another SLP's on maternity. They'll have SLPA interviews in Sept. In the meantime, they want me to apply for a waiver so they could possibly hire me as an SLP w/ full salary/benefits where it should be permanent. But I don't know when that would be. It's smaller than the above dist & the drive is about 40 min, so not much farther. I don't know squat about thi dist.

If I go w/ #2 to try something new, there could be a slight possibility that the only work I do is the one from 8/24 - Oct, in which after that's over, I probably can't just return to my 1st dist because they would have found someone else already to do that subbing. Then, I'd be out of work from both places all yr (which I don't think that would happen, but it could).

Would you choose #1 or #2?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

Does choice #1 give you the impression that you will be a top choice for an SLPA slot? You've been hanging on this possibility all summer..it would be nice if you had a bit more assurance on that before making a decision.
    Both of these sound like good steps toward your ultimate goal...good luck with whichever you choose.:)

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Just out of curiosity, why is choice 1 paying you only 125 a day for an LTS? In teaching, you would have full-time pay and benefits, but it would just be temporary. You might want to check out that you are not getting shafted in pay/benefits with the LTS.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

I would go with district 1 if I had a choice, unless district two offers you a contract for an SLP job. The pay difference for the SLPA job isn't that different from the SLP sub job and it is all year with benefits.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

Our LTS do not get benefits in teaching (unless it is a year replacement).

7. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Wow, tough choice. I can see why you're having trouble deciding. I think I would go with Choice 1, since it's longer and you're already familiar with the school district.

Again, tough choice, but I think you'd be happy in either position!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks so far guys! Yeah, I was talking it over w/ my mom too. I meet w/ dist #2 TOMORROW in which they think I'm going to do the 8/24 - Oct job anyway becaue it starts Wed. It seems that I can get to my ulimate goal, which is SLP, faster w/ #2.

ciounoi, I only get $125/day w/ #1 even long term subbing because I'm at 3 diff schools all wk. If I was at the same school daily, I'd get the LT pay starting the 24th day of $150/day...still no benefits either way. I'm currently considered a substitute teacher now at dist #1, have been since Jan 1999.

The sub SLP job w/ #2 is only 2 mos long at the most & then, it's kind of up in the air what could happen.

But, w/ either dist, I feel I can at least be hired as a SLPA. I certainly have the experience. Now, if I just wanted SLPA, I'd go w/ #1, but if the ultimate goal is to be SLP w/ the $40K+ salary, then #2's beating out #1 to the race.

Please, keep your comments coming! :) Now, remember, I'm trying to get my own place ASAP, etc.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

I would go with #2. If it were me, I would be moving on from subbing and be focused on applying for the SLPA and SLP jobs, and option #2 sounds like the best choice for that.

There is also a possibility that district 1 will be too happy to have the subbing filled and will keep you there to simplify things on their end.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 17, 2011

She's in CA, and this is not true in CA. Long term subs get slightly higher pay than regular subs, but nothing compared to a regular teacher's salary, and no benefits.

This is a tough choice, but I would probably go with #2. It seems like this district really wants to help you pursue being a SLP, which is what you want to do now. Obviously, it's taking a chance, but if we never take chances, we'll always be left wondering, what if...? :)

Good luck with your decision!

p.s. I didn't even know any districts in SoCal paid subs $125!! The highest paying district around me pays $110, and that is the exception, not the norm! Most districts pay between $90 and $100! It's so pathetic when the cost of living in my area is SO high!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2011

I think that I would go with choice #2 because it seems to go more with your long term goal of being a SLP and it just seems like one of those opportunities that you'd be wondering about if you didn't take. Good luck with your decision!

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

Choice 1 seems the most stable.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2011

It seems as if the first district has been stringing you along for the slpa position all summer. Is there a date you would have to accept the postion for district 2 by? I would call district 1 and explain that they are your first choice and that you would love to be an slpa there, but you have another offer on the line that you need to answer by _________. Explain that for financial reasons, if you don't hear from district 1 by then you will take the position in district 2. If district 1 really wants you, they will offer you the job by that deadline. If you don't hear from them before that, I think it's pretty clear they don't care if you work there or not. If you offer them the deadline and you don't hear back, I'd take the job at district 2.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

District #2 sounds like a better option to me. If it were me, I'd go with that one.

15. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 17, 2011

Wow, tough choice indeed. In order to be employed all year I'd go with choice #1.

There's no certainty that the other district will stick with their promises.

16. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 17, 2011

I would go with #2 and personally forget about #1.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

Wow, guys! Most of you aren't really leaning more towards either #1 or #2 in an overwhelming way. So far, it's 6 to 4 in favor of #2.

This dilemna is due to a certain lady at dist #1 (I won't say here) who doesn't stay on top of things, lolagags, never gets back to people, etc. The thing is, the SLPA app deadline was way back on 7/8, so they should have hired those SLPAs long ago! :mad:

At this point, I'm thinking to try this 2-month assignment at #2, see how it is, etc. & tell #1 that something suddenly came up & I can no longer sub for now, but I'm still interested in the SLPA job when they're finally ready to interview/hire for it. That way, I haven't really burned bridges w/ either one, even if I end up staying w/ #2. After all, I plan to live in my area forever. It's not like I'm planning to move out of state, etc., so there's not that many districts w/i a tolerable driving distance. I'd like to end things on a positive note when I'm ending things w/ employers, etc. because you never know when you'll have to go back to them. I'm sure you guys can understand that. :)

I'd like to possibly observe the speech groups I'd be working with at #2, but I guess I can't because 8/24 is when they want me to start, which is the 1st day of school.

Any more comments?! :)

Yes, the dist #1 I've been w/ is the highest paying dist regarding sub pay that I know of!

18. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I would go with #2. There could be many reasons district #1 hasn't hired those SLPA's yet.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2011

I can see why you would take the second one. I just know, for me, I would take option one because I need stability and a long term commitment. Good luck on your decision.

20. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I think the big question is how badly do you NEED to work.

Okay, everyone needs to work but I'm not sure your situation (I infer that you are living at home, no kids to feed and pretty young).

Option Two while you MAY be not working after a while sounds like it will lead you closer to your ultimate goal as an SLP. You will get great experience and have another district that speaks to how great you are should you be looking elsewhere.

Option One you should take if you NEED stability and income but it seems like you would not be advancing your career at all by still being a sub. After all if you work all year as a sub and they pass you up for being an SLPA you will feel very bad. But, if you need a guaranteed check every other week I would say take option one.

Good luck with this tough decision. Congrats on having it--it must be great to be wanted by 2 school districts.

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 17, 2011

I think that #2 seems to be the better choice.

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 17, 2011

Agreed with Teacher! :thumb: I don't know what your own personal needs and responsibilities are in your personal life, but either option I think is good.

Now I'm excited to find out which one you pick!! :p

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 17, 2011

As far as a stable income, if nothing ends up working out with district 2 after the LTS, you can always go back to subbing in district 1, right? So wouldn't you then be in the same place as if you'd just stayed the sub in district 1 to begin with (worse case scenario- if nothing works out in district 2). Hopefully of course, best case scenario you get a permanent job in district 2- however I'm just pointing out it doesn't seem as if you've lost out on anything if you go work in district 2 for awhile.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks so much everyone! :) Well, tomorrow, I'll accept what #2 has for me so far & try it out. It's not an interview since they already hired me for sub SLP. I'll be submitting all the paperwork & doing fingerprinting. If I don't do it, I'll always wonder what if...

Yes, I want work badly & stable pay, but I want more than sub pay too. I've been subbing for a good 10 yrs...yes! I was a special ed teacher 1 yr in btwn. I want to buy my own house or condo very soon & travel. The day I can start house hunting or even apt hunting will be a glorious day!

Please keep commenting! :)

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 17, 2011

Number 2

26. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2011

Decisions like these are tough, because there never seems like a clear cut answer! Option 1 seems better short-term, because you will have a guaranteed (albeit slightly smaller) paycheck all year. However, Option 2 seems to really be pursuing you for an eventual SLP job (not just a sub SLP or SLPA job) which is your ultimate goal right? In fact, if I was reading that right, they hired you for this LTS job without even meeting you? (A fact that would make me a little leery but of course I don't know the details of the situation.) Plus, from what you've said, it sounds to me like they'd like to make it permanent. To me, then, Option 2 would have to win out. The district with Option 1 seems content to string you along as their SLP sub and maaaaaaaybe will eventually get around to hiring you as an SLPA, but that wouldn't be enough for me to stick around if being an SLP was my goal (and I wanted to get an apt. ASAP). That's just my :2cents:

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

HOPE-fulTeacher, you've completely understood every detail of my situation! And your :2cents: is what I'm feeling about this whole thing too, but I'll definitely end things on a good note w/ #1 if that's how it has to go. :)

I even emailed the 2 head people again today @ #1 just to see if I can find out any more about the hiring of the SLPAs. Now, I emilaed them once before a while back & heard nothing.

BioAngel, I'll post an update for sure stating what I decided.

waterfall & SCTeachInTX, thanks. I like that thinking.

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011

Good luck. Hope you find that job number 2 is a perfect fit for you!

29. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 26, 2011

Any updates Ms. I? What did you decide?

30. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 26, 2011

Just a bit of info...$125 for sub pay is excellent--our district pays $60. And no additional pay for LTS....

That said, I wish you the best of luck with whichever choice you make/made. :)

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 26, 2011

Wondered the same thing....

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Haven't we rehashed this question over and over in another,now closed, thread?

33. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

We may as well get the update, don't you think?

34. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 26, 2011

This is the thread that Ms. I started before she started the thread that is now closed.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Has anything changed?

36. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 26, 2011

I can't help it... I am really curious. Hopefully, things went the way she wanted in any event.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2011

I've gotten some PMs asking what happened. Thanks to those who've inquired, that's nice of you for wanting to know! :) Yes, MORE has happened & I told the people who PM'd me that I'll just wait until the final outcome occurs to post everything else (might as well). Stay tuned, the saga continues...(& to those who don't give a flying fig, don't post.)

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Good luck, no matter what you decide, Ms I.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2011

Thank you Alice.

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Good luck, Ms. I! How did your meeting with the Director in #1 go on Wed?

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2011

Thank you stg. To answer your question, something out of the ordinary happened, but very well, but there will be more (hopefully pretty soon), so I'll just post a bigger amt of info later. (If I see it's taking too long for the rest of occur, I'll go ahead & post what had happened after a while.)