What would you do when students who shouldn’t be in inclusion are placed in your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

I have two students from a behavior program who are included in my math class this year.

Because they’ve been in the behavior program, they haven’t learned the common core standards and they are behind. I think the 6th grade behavior class at my school is still doing adding and subtracting. One of the kids scored in the 3rd percentile (red) on our math test saying that he’s in need of severe intervention. In comparison, my kids on IEPs have scored in the blue (one level below the green.) His score was even worse for reading.

All of my students are having success with the curriculum except these two kids. They’re confused and every answer is wrong. The behavior hasn’t been too bad but they did have a para. Basically, the director likes to include kids when the behavior is managed even when the academics are a disaster.

My team has the attitude that it’s not our problem anymore and there’s not much we can do. I’ve documented grades and other things to send to his sped teacher. But I know the principal is on our side and agrees that they need some services. Since the para is leaving, my team teacher said we’ll have to let the redirect person know that we might be calling often. I’m lucky that I have this class first period when the behavior is pretty good. I just don’t think it’s right for someone to be pulled from a specialized program and thrown be into inclusion with no support. I was basically told to differentiate more but I don’t think I should have to change what’s working for almost every child to pull these two kids individually. My coach agrees that they need a one to one and said that there not a lot I can do for them. It just makes me really sad. I know a lot of people have kids with worse behaviors and less supports but I know these kids shouldn’t be included with no support.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2019

A normal year, I would have at least 7 kids who are LD in my class. I might have up to 9 BD kids too. That has gotten insane here over the last 6yrs or so.. Usually, I have 1 or 2 rocket scientist types.
    This year, I am in a very different position.
    I always tried to find a main group ( where the majority were) and worked with them as a group. Then I'd work with my bright ones individually or as a 2-3 some group. To me, they were the really fun ones and we could go as high as we wanted.
    Then I know many teachers are against spending their own money, but it saved my sanity. For kids in around 1st-10th percentile, I'd buy workbooks from a teacher store that were on their levels. A normal 3rd grade class would have about 3-4 kids who could not read or work independently. We do not have the resources many other schools have.
    For most of those 1-10ths, nonreaders, I'd find trace and writing workbooks for both writing and math. Most pages had pictures too. They could work on those while I was teaching other groups. If they could do more math, I might borrow a 2nd or 1st grade math workbook. I found workbooks that showed pictures of rhyming words for a lot of the kids who could not read and lacked ability.
    I am not sure if other schools insist you teach the same things to kids on different levels nowadays. If that is the case, you are in a tough spot. You can't modify 6th grade math to a kid scoring in the 3rd percentile in my opinion.
    Oh! I squawked when that problem 1st came to our school. It did not do much good, but sometimes I'd get some help. I wouldn't do that though if I planned on teaching there for a long time. :) I feel for you totally because if something works for the majority, it is wrong for you have to redo a system for 2 kids.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 22, 2019

We do not have another option besides full mainstreaming, so they are re in regular classes. They get two periods (reading and math) with a special education co-teacher, but that is honestly not much help. With 10 or my 21 kids having an IEP, the four who are behavior issues take a good 90% of the time. It is frustrating.

mrsf70 and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

I don't think I'm allowed to modify curriculum since they don't get modified grades. I would also feel bad about giving them work that's different from everyone else.

I agree that if I had half or even a quarter of my kids at their level, I would try to work in small group time into my lessons or lower the rigor. But the curriculum is packed with activities that I can see benefiting all of my students except these 2. It's so sad because they've just missed so much instruction.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

That is frustrating. Our team agreed that we will be calling the office for behavior issues that we can't manage.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2019

Ima, I understand

To me, it is hard to imagine giving 1 of my 3rd graders in the 4th percentile the same lesson as the rest of the kids. I don't feel bad giving the kids different work because they can't do the other work. It would frustrate them and as you mentioned, they'd miss all of the questions. It is sad.
    If I have a 3rd grader who can't read, I can't give them a book and test them on it. It wouldn't make sense if they did not know how to read. I could have another kid read to them, but the questions would have to be read to them and if the child does not understand the information read, it is pointless.
    Do they expect every kid to be on the same level in a class? If yes, I am so glad I moved from the lower 48..lol because I would want to tell them to get a grip on reality. If that is the case, the world has gone mad.
    I am so sorry they are like that! I truly hope they give you a para if they want you to teach them the same things. I would not change everything for the rest of the class for those 2 kids. It is unfair to them. Can you make like 10- 15 mini lesson for them?

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

^
    I'm really not sure what I am supposed to do. I have 60 minute classes and they are packed. We are implementing a new curriculum which is great and very high quality but the pacing is really difficult. We do a warm up, two activities, and an exit ticket. This takes the full 60 minutes. If I were to do a 15 minute mini lesson with these two kids, the rest of the class would miss an activity since they all require teachers to faciliate it. I do differentiate instruction by providing manipulatives, visuals, etc. but these kids are just so low.

I do feel like if they have been included with no academic support, I can't modify the curriculum. I can only make admin aware that they are struggling.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2019

Wow! The world of education just got a bit crazier to me. I am so sorry! It is pretty bad here too, but at least they do not expect that! Do you have an academic coach or anyone in charge that you could ask to demonstrate for you? I did that 1 time and the coach could not do it. She tried 2 times and the kids behaved horribly for her. When she could not do what she told me to do, I didn't have any problems or suggestions. I just did what I thought worked. :)

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Sep 22, 2019

You can’t modify the curriculum? When will public school admin realize that students who fail and continue to fail obviously aren’t learning what they should be learning and that modification is very much needed to bring them up to speed? I don’t understand this pushback by people who see that current methods are clearly not working and then STILL require that they be enforced as they presently are.

All you teachers who continue to do the best you can given the circumstances, you rock!

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

Honestly, I think I could but I don’t know how to modify it for these two kids while still giving the other students the attention they need and teaching the lesson.

The only thing that would work is putting them on Khan Academy doing something at their level. But that would not be allowed.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

Yeah, my math coach is great! She thinks it’s also a tough situation. She said the only way to help is during our intervention block. So I’ll try to pull this kid once or maybe twice every two weeks during this time. I see each class every other week and I do other things with the whole class during this time. I just know that I won’t be able to pull him for more than 5-10 mins at firstborn because I need to make sure the other students are behaving. I think he needs push in services and pull out services like other kids get to have a chance. It can't be all on me and my team to catch him up.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2019

Khan Academy sounds like a good plan!

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2019

This would be frowned upon. I'm personally not comfortable with it. It wouldn't look good for the only two students on laptops to be these two kids. The only way it would work is if I assigned everyone a Khan assignment and gave them a different level...but I do not do Khan or chromebook assignments during my class time.

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2019

Yeah, I can see how it might not look good, but they have put you in a position that you can't teach the rest of the class the way your program says. So...…….they need to either be understanding, overlook it, or do something to help.

bella84 likes this.