What would you do? re: test

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by smannes, Oct 16, 2007.

1. smannes

smannes Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I gave a S.S. test today and just finished grading them. Only 7 (out of 24) passed with a C or better. We did a review sheet in class and even played a game yet most still didn't pass. I teach in a low income area. A good portion of them are in E.S.L and have parents who barely (if at all) speak English. I had about 10 of my students tell me today that they didn't do their homework because they went to the state fair last night and they got home too late to do their homework (10 p.m.). I just don't know what to do about their tests. Should I give them another test and make it open book? I feel like such a failure.

3. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I would share this thought...

You can't build a house on sand.

If a majority of students are not mastering a concept than I think it is important to reteach and retest (please do not confuse this with spending an entire quarter on one concept). If you try a few more activities and retest and scores go up then it is time to move on.

We are not here solely to meet our year long plan... we want our students to learn as well.

I know it is complicated and in fact I am probably a hypocrite becasue I spent the first 9 weeks holding my class' collective hand and need to step it up. But I feel comfortable when I feel that most of them are getting it.

Good luck

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 16, 2007

Go over the test and present the material in a different way. Maybe try to have them make comics or write dialogue to act in a small play. Or maybe write a play yourself and have them act. Demonstrations and visuals really help a lot in Social Studies. :) Besides that, if you have technology like PowerPoint, you can make a visual demonstration for them. I try to do that to really get to the visual learners. Which Social Studies content were you covering, and what are you covering next?

I've been in this position before, too...

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 18, 2007

I agree with spending time reteaching and retesting but if you don't have time for that, what about having them do corrections? This way they are seeing what they got wrong and correcting them and getting half credit back.
    This is what I do if I really have no time to retest, or if I feel we did enough work and they just did not study at all.

6. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 18, 2007

I gave my first science test today, and I felt like it went pretty well... we had played a Jeopardy review game which went well, and I had given them a study guide for homework with everything the test covered on it, and the kids finished the test quickly and said it was easy. Then I graded it.

The grades were all over the place... they probably make a pretty good Bell curve. There were As and Bs, but also Cs and a few Ds and a couple of Fs. Not quite the results I wanted. I think what I'm going to do is allow them to do corrections for half-credit back... like sue35 said, at least they'll understand what they missed and why. I do feel like we spent a lot of time on this first chapter and need to move on.