What would you do? (Job future)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Feb 2, 2009.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

Today, we were informed that we will have to lose a teacher for the next school year. My school is in better shape than most, with others losing multiple teachers. Nearby Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools will supposedly be eliminating hundreds of positions (not all teachers). I am second-to-last hired. Three teachers were all hired for the 2007-2008 school year. One in June, me in July and another in August. Needless to say, I am nervous!! There is a chance a teacher may retire due to health reasons, but she does not want to. But, she may have to. So, this all could be for naught.

I am trying to decide if I should get out the resume and begin actively looking for a job, or to wait it out. I would like to stay where I am since I won a grant for an ActivBoard and will not get it until next school year. I would be very sad to lose it.
    However, the town I live in (not teach in) is opening a new elementary school next year. They have a job fair in March. The town I live in is much better off economically than where I teach. The school district is also stronger as well. (My town is actually split into 2 districts, one being one of the best in the state. The other is the county schools, but the schools in my town top the district and have a rating of 9 or 10 by greatschools.net).

I have a mortgage, live alone, etc... I moved 750 miles here alone to teach. I don't know what I would do if I lost my job.
    Do I give up my ActivBoard, grade level and who knows what else to try and find another job? Or wait it out until I know for certain?
    I know no one can answer these questions but me, but I am curious to hear other opinions. I am not thinking well right now!

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 2, 2009

It won't hurt to apply places and then turn them down...or will it?

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 2, 2009

I agree. I would also go to the job fair in March. Always keep all options open. Good luck!

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

I agree.....go to the job fair, talk to people, make sure you meet the principals if you can, and if you get offered a job, you'll be in a position to choose where you'd like to be.

6. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Feb 2, 2009

Go to the job fair just to me on the safe side. I hope you don't get laid off! I had two hired before me so I am nervous too!!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

I think that you should go to the job fair and look for another job just to be safe and see what happens. If you wait until you know for sure it may too late to get a job in the district that you live in.

8. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I'd ask my P. She always does her best to keep us in the loop and has been quite clear in letting us know that she will support us in a variety of ways. She knows we all love our jobs, but she also knows there are higher salary scales in neighboring districts. She offered letters of reccomendation and connections to all of us last year...she knew if we went looking we would find that the grass isn't greener on the other side. Last year I was an intern and had to be RIF'd. She was really upset about giving me the paperwork, she was more worked up about it than I was. I asked her if she thought my position was safe for next year and she told me what she could (that the plan was to keep all teachers unless enrollment dropped below a certain number). I even asked her what she would do in my position and she honestly told me her advice. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful P. Hopefully you do too.

9. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 2, 2009

Chances are, if you won a grant and won't get it until next school year then you may be relatively on the safe side. However, I agree with everyone else. Go to the job fair. If offered a job, it'll put you in a much better position and would even act as a safety net for you.

10. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 2, 2009

It's always easier to find a job if you already have one. Go to the job fair. You may find reason to switch. Just keep an open mind and do what you need to do.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2009

I think it makes good sense to start looking around for another job when you can tell that your future at one district is looking dismal. It's better to have something else lined up just in case, rather than being stuck w/ no options.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 3, 2009

No reason not to be prepared and see what is out there :)