What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cmdx, May 20, 2010.

1. cmdx

cmdx Rookie

May 20, 2010

Hello again, everyone.

I have a bit of a situation and was wondering what fellow job applicants would do in this particular situation.

I'm in the process of completing an application for a district where I would really like to work. This district has 6-7 openings in my particular area. They also have a web-based application system that apparently sends your information to the administrators of the campuses at which you apply.

My situation is, I want to address my cover letter to the principal of the particular campuses, but with the way the web-based application is set up, the application would send to all of the campuses I applied to at once.

I guess my choices are:
    1) send the application with a cover letter addressed to the superintendent of the whole district then try and find the particular principals and email them a direct letter of interest
    2) try and submit the application 6-7 times with different cover letters each time and hope they don't overwrite each other
    3) attach 6-7 cover letters at once, each addressing the different principals

I just want to make a good impression so I come to you for advice. What would you do?

3. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 20, 2010

I would go with option number 1

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 20, 2010

The district I really want to work for is the same way in how you go about filling out applications etc...I filled out the one that goes to the district, but I also sent individual packets of info (resume, rec letters, etc...) to the individual schools that seem to have the openings. Good luck!

5. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 20, 2010

I would definitely go with option number one... if your districts are anything like the districts around here, principals won't even look at it if you've applied only at the county level. Make sure that you're all set to go at the county first and then email, deliver, or mail all of the same information to each school along with a personalized cover letter.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 20, 2010

I always do option one if I ever encounter an online application like you mentioned.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 20, 2010

#1 definitely!

8. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 20, 2010

also agree with number 1

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 20, 2010

also agree with 1.

Principals who are looking for applicants who use the district-wide or county-wide or consortium-wide program know full well that you're not ONLY looking at their school and that you can't address your letter individually in that system... so not having it addressed specifically to them on the program isn't going to make youl ook bad.... and, at least up here, you can only attach one letter anyway- so if you try to put in 6 or 7, the only one that will "count" is the final one... same way for the applications. You can submit it multiple times, but only the most recent one is saved. You might be using a different system than we do, though. :)

Good luck! I grew up in nashville public schools ;)

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 20, 2010

I agree with the above. All the best!

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 20, 2010

#1.
    I'm afraid if you customize it too much, there could be an opening in the future that you'd qualify for but you may have limited yourself from due to a customized cover letter. Keep everything on the county (or district) system fairly generic in terms of position you'd like to be considered for.

As you said, you can always follow-up with a more specific email to the appropriate parties.

12. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 20, 2010

I do option 1 all the time in that type of situation.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2010

#1! :)

14. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

May 20, 2010

Option 1!

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2010

16. cmdx

cmdx Rookie

May 23, 2010

I've been gone on a quick trip to visit my father-in-law and just came back to see #1 is the unanimous pick. Guess I know what I will be doing Monday morning :)

Thanks everyone!