What would you do if...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 12, 2009.

1. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

In cases where this has happened, the parent has let me know and I have corrected it ASAP. I actually misspelled a student's last name this year and I had his brother the previous year. DUH!!! The dad just laughed about it, I blamed it on my blonde hair, and the kid was pretty impressed that by the next morning the tag was correct. :)

2. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

I agree....Def. NOT a big deal as long as you correct it politely :) But PLEASE correct them! As a teacher, I get upset when I found out that I've been spelling or pronouncing a students name wrong and noone ever corrected me. :)

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

Sorry I wasn't clear about my story but my little "Christi" is now 18 and starting college next week. I always wondered if the teacher thought I was a whacked out helicopter parent or something because I left a post it but I just had to do something and certainly didn't want to go to admin or anything. So now I teach 6th grade and I try really hard to be clear about students' names.

4. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Last year, I had misspelled a child's name on her desk nametags. It was there for two months before she told me... She said she hadn't noticed until right then!

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

Several years ago, I actually had a parent who returned papers with her own child's name spelled differently on each paper. I checked her birth certificate on file to see which one was correct, and it was spelled a totally different way. That's the one we went with and Mom never said anything.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I had a parent let me know this this year. She just pointed it out, I apologized, and she explained that it typically was. I changed it on all of my classroom items and it was no big deal.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 13, 2009

I get frustrated at my school because all of our attendance sheets and such are written in ALL CAPS and with no punctuation. When I get my class list, I have no way to know if it is Daquan, DaQuan, Da'quan, Da'Quan, Da-Quan, Da-quan, or such.

I've also had two times in my teaching career when the parents sent in info with the child's name spelled one way one time, and different the next time. If their own parent isn't consistent, how can we be?

Often, names are reversed as well -- as many readers said especially with Vietnamese names and other Asian names. We also have unusual ethic names reversed a lot of times. I always make sure I have blank name labels for everything in case I need to fix anything the first few days.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

One year I had a little girl whose name no one pronounced the same. She said it one way, her mother another, her sister yet another. Then at times her mother or sister would call her by her middle name!

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

Simply mention it to the teacher in a friendly way.It might be wrong on the office records and needs to be corrected

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

Goodness, what a way to start the year off on the wrong note. I hope this parent was just having a bad day and your friend's future dealings with them are much more pleasant.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

Once I had Taylor and Tayler...I could never remember which spelling went with each girl.

I have my 2nd graders spell their first, middle, and last names on spelling papers. I had one mom quite upset by this because her son went by his second name and not his first. She simply did not want him writing that first name.

12. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I remember as a child, my mom got VERY upset becaues my brother's teacher continually spelled his name incorrectly. She'd mention it, and she'd keep spelling it the wrong way. He didn't have an unusual name either. It was Jeffrey and she ALWAYS spelled it Jeffery.

13. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I agree...just let them know and they will correct it. It was probably a typo from the office to begin with, and we all know how stressed out the secretaries are in the office.

14. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I did this with a girls name and the parents never let me know. Since her name was so long if often got cut off so I never realized it. Only did I notice it when she was spelling her name out one time. It also didn't help that she went by a nickname most of the time.

15. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I would let the teacher know in a very nice way.

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

That happened to me last year. I spelled Connor's name Conner. He told me right away and I was able to fix it immediately. No Biggie!