What would you do if...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

As a parent, how would you react if you visited your child's new classroom and realized her name was spelled incorrectly? Just curious!!!:)

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I would definitely let the teacher know in a polite way.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Definitely tell the teacher! Chances are, the name is misspelled in the office as well!

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

:yeahthat:

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

So overall, not a big deal in the scheme of things?? ESPECIALLY if the teacher has apologized and it WAS the office's mistake (an HONEST mistake!!)?

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

This happened to me last year at open house. Although, it was my fault because I spelled it correctly in 3 places but then added an extra "n" in another place. I just said, "Oh, no! Ooops! I'll change that right away." No biggie.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

Definitely not a big mistake in the scheme of things- it happens all the time...Little blip, I'm sure the teacher will fix the error right away...;)

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

I've done this before. I just appologize and change it. With all the different spellings and my brain on overload before school starts, it's bound to happen again!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

Better on the first day than the last ;) Not a big deal at all! When I student a little boy came in saying it was his birthday and it wasn't the day we had posted. We checked classroom paper work and his enrollment card and they all had different days! His mom spoke very little english and we finally sorted it out by looking at the birth certificate.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

It happens with my son's name alot. It's no big deal; I always bring it to their attention (teacher, receptionist, etc...) in a nice way. How will they ever know if momma don't tell them otherwise?
    :love:

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

Oh, I forgot, when I taught preschool we had a little boy who wore an ID bracelet. The name on the ID bracelet was spelled differently than the way we were spelling it. We looked at his paperwork and it was unreadable, his birth certificate spelled it the way we had it. When we asked his mom she said they changed their mind about how to spell it after they brought him home :dizzy:

13. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Definitely not a big deal. I don't know any teachers that will get downright upset! They'll be glad you told them so that they can fix it. Just think, when your little one writes their name, it should match what the teacher has! :)

14. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 12, 2009

This is no big deal. At my son's preschool they spelled his name incorrectly. I just told them in a nice way. I didn't want to make them feel bad.

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

It happens-usually a typo on the office list. Today I noticed a mistake on the name of a child in a team mate's class. They had the name ending in an o instead of an a.

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Your name is one of the most important "things" you will ever own. It IS who you are.

So, there is nothing wrong with wanting it to be spelled correctly. When people gloss over a misspelling with "It's no big deal," it almost seems like they are saying you are of no importance.

(Can you tell my name has been misspelled my whole life? :))

Anyway, as the others recommended, just politely let the teacher (or office) know that the name is spelled wrong.

If it continues to happen, do what I did with another teacher who continuously spelled my name wrong, even when it was highly visible in our e-mail exchanges -- make it a point to misspell that person's name back at them :lol:

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

I don't think anyone was glossing it over- the teacher of the OP's kid seems to have apologized and fixed the error. We ALL make mistakes- this is a common one at the beginning of the year- :blush:

18. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

At the Open House for my daughter when she was in seventh grade, I found one of the teachers had her name spelled incorrectly. I was surprised because her name was short and fairly common.

I simply told the teacher the correct spelling and that was the end of any discussion. No problem.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

While it's a small mistake, it is a big deal to many people who have their names misspelled. I think correcting it with a big "Oops!" is enough so long as it isn't an ongoing thing. The fourth or fifth, "oops!" isn't going to have the right salve. JMO!

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I agree; I didn't think that was the case in this situation. I was just venting :haha:

21. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I would politely let her know and stop by the office and let them know too. This happened to me with one of my kinders. The office put a "s" where a "z" should have been. I copied that to her name tag in class. The mom seemed upset. But, when she let me know, I very quickly corrected it. I asked her to be sure to stop in the office and thanked her for letting me know. Names can be very tricky.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

Vent away!! Sorry that your name was misspelled so often when you were growing up-that WOULD be annoying!:blush:

23. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

I don't think it should be a big deal as long as it is quickly fixed and the teacher tries to never do it again. If they are constantly misspelling it after being told, then I think it could become a problem.

My last name has been misspelled my whole life. Half of my work info is spelled wrong as well. Which is great when notes get sent home with my name on them wrong. I can understand my name being misspelled though because it has 3 consonants in a row which isn't very common.

24. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 12, 2009

This happened to me last year too (also, no fault of my own - an office mistake). The parents told me on back to school night which happened to fall on the night before school started. I responded like many of you have "Oh my! It must have been spelled wrong on my class list! I'll be sure to fix it!" When they left, however, I noticed that in several places around the room where I had names (our class door, our line order list, cubby name tags) the parents had taken it upon themselves to correct it with their pen. I found this odd and kind of annoying - I don't go to their office and write things on THEIR things. But, fortunately, it all worked out in the end. I changed all the incorrect spellings and it was never mentioned again. It is an annoying thing to have happen (not for the parent to mention it but to have labeled EVERYTHING incorrectly) though.

25. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I would politely let the teacher know your child's name is misspelled. Most likely they made a mistake and spelled it wrong, but it could be that they received that name spelling from the office and once you bring it to the teacher's attention it can also be changed in the office.

That happened to me once. I made everything at the beginning of the year with all my students' names on it, then I started receiving things from the office with one of the names spelled differently. I thought I was going crazy, because I double checked the things I got at the beginning of the year, and I had used the spelling I was given. Turns out someone in the office had mistakenly changed the spelling so what I got initially was right and everything after that was wrong! :unsure: After we discovered it, it got corrected quickly.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

There have been few times that I have received an incorrect spelling from the school office and the parent has kindly brought it to my attention.

I tell them, "Thank you for pointing that out. I will definitely get that corrected. You may want to go to the school office just to be certain that your child's school file is spelled correctly".
    No-one ever gets upset. :) We all make mistakes and it's just an error, no-one wants to be a meanie and do it on purpose...or do they? :D well; that's another thread for ya.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

:lol:

28. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

We went to see my son Christian's new 6th grade homeroom - new school - big deal for my macho kid. His wonderful HR teacher had labeled everything to make things special for her students. However, the computer had decided that each student only needed 7 characters in his or her first name making my son's name...
    Christi
    on every single place in the room. I left the teacher a post it on her desk because I couldn't find her. I never heard from her. I sure hope she wasn't mad. It probably wasn't the best way to handle it but "Christi" was a little traumatized.:eek:

29. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Oh my! This definitely needed to be addressed. I can only imagine the reaction of his peers on the first day if this wasn't fixed. I'm sure the teacher was glad about the heads up. If this is for this coming school year, I would definitely call the teacher to make sure she saw your post-it.

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

That made me chuckle only because I can see that teacher's face as she received each and every postit. :)

I would have been glad to have received the correction, btw.

31. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Tell her/him and make sure it comes across as no big deal.

32. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Let's see.. Jeannie has been identified as Jenny, Janie, Janine.

At an Easter Egg hunt this year she won a prize, but we didn't realize it because they mispronounced her name.

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I'd be really nice about it if I were the parent. If I were the teacher writing names out, I'd double-check first with all names.

I have a number of different spellings this year- one for example is Ceara, but it is often spelled "Sierra". Same goes for Krysten. I take note of those things and make sure I get it right. :) Things happen, though. I remember when a colleague of mine spelled a name incorrectly once, and I told her because I knew of the student- she just had two letters interchanged.

Names shouldn't be spelled incorrectly in the office if birth certificates are required and are stored in cum folders. Parents also filled out the paperwork that can be located in the cum folder.

34. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I don't even want to get started on that topic. :wow::wow::wow:

I have seen on the school teacher request form (I think it had gotten changed, though)-
    Ms. Jaztel (the most common misspelling of my last name)

My middle and high school yearbooks also had many misspellings of my last name, including Jaztel, of course. I am sure students were the editors of the yearbook, and teachers sometimes did not check to see if they made errors. I still remember when I received an engraved name on my junior year yearbook- Victoria P. What's up with that?!

A student from internship spelled my name Jasstail once, but that was more funny that anything. :lol:

35. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I've had class lists the office provided with first and last names of Vietnamese students turned around. Luckily, I've been tipped off by fellow teachers before actually meeting the student.

36. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

I've had that happen too with Vietnamese students. What's funny is one little girl never told us her name was being used backwards in the classroom until the end of the school year. She just learned to respond to her last name! Sometimes children are afraid to correct the teacher! Poor thing! We've had discussions in the teachers' lounge about what a child's name is so we don't get the name reversed and it's always been with Vietnamese students.

37. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

I just had this happen in summer school with some students coming from Singapore. Luckily our secretary was my assistant and she knew everyone's first names (and how to pronounce them!)

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 12, 2009

My mom has an unusual first name (Devra) because her mom was stubborn and pretty much made it up. Her mom's name was Virginia, and she insisted that both kids have a V in their names. So my mom gets lots of variations... we think it's pretty funny. Darva, Derva, Devera, as well as the fairly common Debra... she can spell it out, and even do the "V as in Victor" and they still get it wrong. Oh well :)

When I was at the daycare... oops, preschool... I'd get my class list from the office and make nametags with what was on their list, my daily sign-in/sign-out sheets, job carts, etc... then I get to the first week and have several parents telling me that either the first or last name is misspelled. The name would be right on the cum file or application, we had so many kids returning that the front desk folks didn't always bother to check the spelling... or birthdays. I tried to check with the previous teacher or the parents when they came for our see-your-new-room ice cream social.

39. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

I'm the OP, and it happened to my teacher friend. The parent was VERY upset even after the teacher's apology and explanation that it came from the office that way. The parent was very vocal to various other staff members about this huge problem. I was just curious if everyone (as a parent) would've gotten so upset. Myself with my child, I would have politely clued the teacher in and then NEVER thought another thing about it. I would have even felt bad for the teacher to be in an embarassing situation!

40. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

One year I had over 180 students and I had ten Lindsays! The really hard part was that there were many different spellings. Not just Lindsay, but also Lindsey, Linsey, etc. That was also the year I had five Brittanys and three Bill Smiths! And least Bill is easy to spell!

41. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

I don't label things in my room until after the 1st day. At my 1st school the office always got the names spelled wrong. We usually have an orientation before school & I have the parents look at my list. If their child's name is spelled incorrectly I have them change it.