What would you do if you were me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newbeeteacher, Jun 25, 2010.

  1. newbeeteacher

    newbeeteacher Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 25, 2010

    A little background.. I interviewed with District 1 last week and received a call from AP that they will recommend me to the board and I basically have the job. I am not sure what subjects I will be teaching but it will probably be high school Biology or Chemistry. This will be at a 5A school and a little more 'inner city' but the pay is good-ish.

    This week, I interviewed with District 2 and they told me it is for a Physics position. I told the P that I am not very comfortable teaching Physics but I will do my best if given the job. This is a 3A school farther out in the country and pays ~10K less than District 1. However, this P is now talking to my references and seems very interested and I suspect he will offer me the job.

    I am waiting to sign a contract with District 1, and I feel bad for P at District 2. Should I email the P at District 2 and let him know that I probably will not accept the job if he offered it to me? Or wait till I have a definite contract with District 1? What if the P from district 2 offers me a contract before District 1? :confused:

    Thanks for any advice!
     
  2.  
  3. MrsKP

    MrsKP Companion

    Joined:
    May 15, 2010
    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 25, 2010

    I would wait until you have a job in the bag before you decline any other jobs. If you get "the call." I would ask for a few days to talk it over with the family and make a decision.

    Once you are *positive* you have the other job, call and politely turn down the offer. I definitely wouldn't email the P before you are called. That might be considered a little forward.
     
  4. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Jun 25, 2010

    If district 2 offers you a job before you sign for district 1, ask district 2 for a few days to think over the offer and to discuss it with family (even if you don't really have to). Then, call district 1 up, let them know you received an offer from another district, but that you would like to stick with their district but would safer with a signed contract.
     
  5. jwteacher

    jwteacher Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jun 25, 2010

    That's an easy one. Wait until you have the contract in your hand and signed before you decline the second opportunity (if it comes). This is like a business and in this economy, we, the sellers, do not have the upper hand so do not feel you owe the second principal anything.

    If the second principal were to offer you the contract before the first principal, ask how much time you would have to make a decision. The principal should give you a grace period. Then that would be the time to call the first principal and ask when the board would decide on your employment because you had another job offer.
     
  6. newbeeteacher

    newbeeteacher Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 25, 2010

    Thanks for the advice! Seems there is a concensus to wait till I have a contract from D1.

    I just felt bad because I don't want to waste the P2's time. Why won't D1 just hurry up and call me?! :)
     
  7. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jun 25, 2010

    I agree with the others! :) Good luck!
     
  8. Marci07

    Marci07 Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 26, 2010

    Let us know what happened!!!
     
  9. newbeeteacher

    newbeeteacher Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 27, 2010

    Update: I received the offer from District 2 on Friday. They would like an answer by Monday.

    I called the P from District 1 on Friday but have not received a call back as yet. I will wait until Monday morning and call him again and double check the status of my offer.

    I really like District 2 but I think I will be an ineffective teacher because I do not like the subject that I will have to teach. :(

    I am about 90% sure I will reject the offer from District 2, so I may need help drafting a letter too....
     
  10. INteacher

    INteacher Aficionado

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    3,765
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jun 27, 2010

    My :2cents: for what it is worth - I don't think you should base your decision on choosing schools based on the content area you would be teaching this year. Schools hire you for your ability to teach everything you are qualified to teach. The year I was hired at my current position, I was hired to teach World Geography and World History. 16 years later, I haven't taught Geography in 10 years, and one have 2 sections of World History. Most secondary teachers have no control over the courses they are assigned and are assigned courses based on numbers. So if you can teach physics, I'll bet sometime during your career, you will be teaching physics.

    Again, just my two cents. In the end, you have to make the decison that is right for you.
     
  11. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jun 28, 2010

    Congrats on the job offer!

    I agree with INteacher about the job...think carefully about whether or not to reject it. I know you'd probably prefer the first district, but if you can't get a hold of them or if there is a problem with that one, you may be jobless. Good luck with your decision...I hope you hear back from the other school today!!!!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. agdamity
Total: 437 (members: 2, guests: 410, robots: 25)
test