what would you do if you had to revert to...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by teach42, Aug 28, 2012.

1. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

only a blackboard or whiteboard to teach your subject? Ahh....I was so looking forward to having a Smartboard of some sort this year in my class but I guess that's not happening. Last year, all I had was a whiteboard and I hate it. I definitely miss the technology. I was looking forward to using all these nice visuals. Now it's not going to happen. Heck, it even ruined my idea of how I would assign seats. I can't just put their names on the desk beforehand either because I won't be in the same room. And how am I going to play Jeopardy if I wanted to. My class is going to be so boring again this year.:( Good thing I didn't go and create a bunch of PowerPoint presentations yet. The only advantage I see to having it is that I can leave things on the board for students to copy down without having to wait.

3. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 28, 2012

Um...welcome to my world! I only have chalkboards in my room. Not all schools are blessed with interactive whiteboards in their classrooms. you make do, you know, like they did before technology. and well, it forces you to be a little more creative. your class doesn't have to be boring just because you don't have a plethora of technology. the learning shouldn't be focused on one tool anyhow.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

Of course you can survive, but technology has no doubt positively impacted teaching and learning. Once you have it, it's difficult to adjust.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

You don't have to be boring just because you don't have a SmartBoard. Play Jeopardy with a pocket chart. Make a seating chart for each class. You can do this...teachers have been successful for years, and continue to be, without SBs...yes, they're great to have...but as a creative professional, you'll find a way to 'make it work'.

6. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

It definitely makes it easier for students to visualize graphs and their manipulations, etc. and just to graph in general without having to do it by hand. I could literally show a concept in an instant by using an animation.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

Do you have an overhead projector?

If so, you can print out your PowerPoint slides and then interact with them using the markers. I did that frequently at my first school.

I teach in a wealthy district, but we don't have lots of smart boards either. They limit those to mostly math. The rest of us use PowerPoint and our whiteboards.

The main goal of technology is student engagement. You can replicate that with old fashioned methods.

Perhaps you can give us some feeling for what you planned and we can he you with some suggestions.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I think that technology is a great way to supplement good teaching. It doesn't take its place.

The vast majority of my lessons have taken place on a blackboard,and I'm fine with that.

Why on earth do you think your class will be boring??? Was the only good thing about your class the technology?? Was there no "YOU" in your classes???

We laugh a lot in my classes, with or without the use of technology. It's a lot of things, but it's seldom boring.

Technology is a tool, that's all. It's not a replacement for solid teaching.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

We have 3 Smart Boards in our school of 750 students; we make do. I don't think our students are suffering much; they are still learning all that they need to and are engaged doing it.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

Do you at least have a projector? That's definitely enough for me to make it interesting. I have seen lots of great teaching without Smartboards, and have seen lots of boring lessons and classrooms with the Smartboards.

It's not about the technology, it's about the teacher. Try to think of creative ways, and it will be interesting. If you already think it's going to be boring, then it really will be.

11. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

This happened to my Math teacher. My Math teacher had a smartboard working the previous year. However, the wire was lost and it was the only piece needed to make it work. We had the whole year without a smartboard in Geometry! So even though we didn't get some 3D pictures we got the 2D ones. :D
    My teacher said it would have benefited a lot of students. However, my teacher did a great job of explaining the content.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

I don't have a SmartBoard, but I do have an LCD projector, and I use that quite a bit to enhance my lessons. I wouldn't be happy if I lost it, but I would definitely be able to survive. If your school doesn't have one available, can you maybe find a really inexpensive one on ebay or something?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Technology has been really iffy and hit-or-miss in my classroom over the past few years. I've gotten really good at not using anything besides the whiteboard, only because I couldn't count on working technology for presentation purposes. I love having the access to technology, but I can live without it.

14. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

It will be tough because I'll be floating and don't have time to write stuff beforehand on the board like warm-ups unless I want to waste a bunch of paper. I think I just need to figure out how I can do things if I end up without a projector too. I don't see how I could cart that around either. My classes are not that long and it's a waste of time having to set it up.

15. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

Do you at least have an overhead projector in your room so you can use transparencies? I used to use that all the time before I had my LCD projector.

16. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

I'm in the same situation. I want to incorportate technology, but having at least a projector would be nice. I think I'm going back to using the overhead. It's hard to have something and then go back to not having it. I was so used to my Smartboard or at least having a projector to show computer related things.

17. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 28, 2012

don't have one.. do what i did and get one, for free!!! DonorsChoose is amazing. I got a great projector from that site and love love love it. you won't get it right away, it may take a few months but its worth it.

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

My last school I had a TV I could hook up to my computer and show what I had on my computer screen, an ELMO and a projector. My current school I have one small white board and that's IT. We don't have a computer room kids can go to or anything.

Yes, I was shocked at first and wondered how in the world I could teach. I was so used to technology! But I figured everything out and have crafted some very fun lesson plans. Technology free!

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2012

Well, I would continue teaching.... since I don't have a Smart Board or anything interactive. So far so good! We're all learning!

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 28, 2012

Your lessons will only be boring if you present them that way. I taught for many years with little technology, and we had lots of fun. You can put warm-up exercises on paper without being wasteful. You can play Jeopardy without the high tech tools. I love my SmartBoard, but teachers taught without them for thousands of years. Think outside the box!

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2012

I teach film studies, so without a projector (or at least a TV) I'd be in big trouble!

22. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 30, 2012

I am without one this year. I used it mostly for movies,and I have two film-heavy classes (Hero's Journey in Film) so I dug an old-school tv out of the storage room and got that hooked up. My one frustration is Youtube videos. I have a lot of videos I like to show for my Fallacies unit. I'm going to borrow a colleague's classroom for those times.
    I agree, you can tape index cards or post its to the whiteboard for Jeopardy.

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 30, 2012

I'm very technology savvy and I am working on bringing that into my classroom more.

I honestly probably couldn't live without my document camera, a computer, and a digital projector. I didn't have a printer for a while, and I was kind of lost when that happened. But I also use analog things, like I have a paper teacher record book for checking off assignments, paper seating charts to take roll, and whiteboards and markers for most things.

We are getting iPads this year I guess, so I'll have to figure out how to work that in.

Never really used a smartboard.

24. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Aug 31, 2012

Some posters have already mentioned/questioned the possibility of having an LCD projector. At my school that is all we use. Connect your computer to it and project powerpoints onto the whiteboard. You can make it become very interactive (maybe not as much as a Smartboard but it works).

25. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 31, 2012

It wouldn't be an issue for me if I didn't have a SmartBoard this year. I taught successfully using an overhead projector and manipulatives. I'm sure I could do it again.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 31, 2012

I'd go about my business just like I did before I ever had those things. Sure, I'd have to adjust, but it's not like those things are what makes my teaching what it is.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2012

Never had a Smartboard... though I'd be kinda lost without even an overhead projector. Guess we'd do a lot more scavenger hunts for notes instead of copying.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 31, 2012

When I started teaching in 2005, my school had chalkboards and overhead projectors. Was I an effective teacher? Absolutely!

Nowadays, we have document cameras, projectors, and smart boards. Am I still an effective teacher? Yes.

It'd definitely be hard to go back to a chalkboard and overhead. I'd adjust, though.

29. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2012

My first 2 years teaching, I had a SmartBoard/PrometheanBoard in my cassroom and while I enjoyed all it could do, I mostly only used it for PowerPoints. Since then, I only had Dry Erase Boards or chalkboards in my classrooms and I don't miss the Smart Board at all, excpet for when I want to show PowerPoints. Personally, I don't like them because they require a lot of work and pre-planning if you want to use all the features instead of just using it to show PowerPoints.

This year I am in a portable with chalkboard painted walls. I really hate using chalk and I REALLY HATE chalkboard paint because cleaing it is a painnnnnnnnn and they always look ashy.

30. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 1, 2012

Well, one of my Math Teachers only used the smartboard as a whiteboard. It was better to see then the chalkboard. :)

31. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

A truly great teacher will find success and make learning fun with a stick and a patch of dirt. However, each "innovation" makes the process at once easier, more relevant, and more in tune with the progress of the world in general. A school system that doesn't understand this has far worse problems than simply being behind the times. We cannot educate people for tomorrow if we have nothing but yesterday's methods. Remember: the majority of our top students will earn their living at jobs that don't even exist yet.