What would you do if students came to you with inappropriate FB photos a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, May 16, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2013

Those things might go 'along with adulthood'...but most adults don't feel the need to share all the details of such....
    People are judgmental. Post accordingly.

2. menyo29

menyo29 New Member

May 17, 2013

I guess my point in making the comment that it's ok to let the students think that teachers are perfect is that we are talking about a range of ages between maybe 8 and 18. Having three kids of my own ranging from 5 to 15 I know that they don't always see "grey area." While in an ideal world kids would interpret the relatively lightly objectionable material to most as mild and no big deal, I believe many would love a chance to take down a teacher when given the opportunity, especially when the teacher in question puts on a fairly strict and level-headed persona in order to maintain control of the class. Again, this would be my only major concern with letting students get a peek at behind the scenes of a teacher's life. Of course teachers aren't perfect but why expose anything that can undermine a message as a role model. You just never know what might come back to haunt you.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

No worries, JustMe but it is amusing (and bemusing) how much times have changed. We had morals clauses in my first teaching contracts - no living with someone outside of marriage, issues with drinking, etc. would lose you a teaching job. Of course, in my mother's time, rules were totally restrictive as to what she was allowed to do socially and what she was allowed to wear outside of work. Times they are a changing....

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 17, 2013

I get you guys who are saying this shouldn't affect the teachers job. However I could totally understand how this could influence a principle's perception of a teacher. Would you want to be the principle who had to discuss this with a nosy and angry parent? Would you keep this person working for you if this became an issue with parents year after year? Would this influence whether or not you wanted your own children in this teachers room?

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 17, 2013

I can definitely see this getting ugly if a parent were to see and become involved...

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

If a parent were to ask questions regarding you talk to the parent about what the teacher does in the classroom and how they are effective at their job. That is all. If that isn't good enough and they continue, ask them what they do on their personal time. Are they squeaky clean, probably not.

7. menyo29

menyo29 New Member

May 17, 2013

Well, in a job market saturated with unemployed teachers fresh out of college and many more laid off teachers without any blemishes, I would not like to be in the position of defending my right to a lifestyle to an administrator that may not jive with a minority of parents. Unless you're tenured and in a union, and even then no sort of moral clause is violated, your job could be at stake. My father served for over a decade in the seventies as a district superintendent and had to deal with far less severe issues with many parents. I can't imagine what the Internet would have done to him concerning teachers.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 18, 2013

If I was a P, I would put up with angry and annoying parents to keep good teachers all the time. Angry and annoying parents are a part of life and are a part of a P's job. If I dismissed a teacher, it would be because of a teacher's wrong doings and not on how many annoying parents I have in the office.