What would you do if students came to you with inappropriate FB photos a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, May 16, 2013.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

May 16, 2013

Students were giggling about something when they came in to class. It was disruptive and they werent starting their warmup like they should, so I asked what the issue was. They hesitated, but I asked again because it was disruptive. Students had found pictures of a teacher with inappropriate pictures on FB.....I said I didn't want to see, and. I didn't say anything to the students about it and moved on. They are BAD though! I did look later then. What would you do? PS: she is best friends with the vice principal.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

What was the nature of the photos?

Depending on the nature of the photos, I might do different things. In general, I would probably contact the office and let them know that the incident caused a disruption. They can investigate the matter if they want. If the pictures were nude or something, I would confiscate them and turn them into the office.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 16, 2013

It depends what you mean by inappropriate. If the students were viewing nudity, for example, I would report that as an example of inappropriate school conduct on the part of the students.

While I do think it shows poor judgment to post inappropriate things on FB, I also think that it's none of anyone's business as long as it's legal stuff. Is she drinking a martini in a bikini, for example? If so, that's legal behavior and no one's business as far as I'm concerned. If she's, on the other hand, using drugs or inappropriately with a student, for example, that's another story.

Again, it might not show the best judgment on the teacher's part but I wouldn't consider it any of my business if the behavior was legal.

5. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

May 16, 2013

1) one pic she had high heels on and the comment said "these are my f@*k me shoes".
    2) bikini pic with a beer
    3) one from a bachelorette party drinking from a certain shaped cup

6. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

May 16, 2013

There's more too....

7. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2013

I agree if they are legal photos, it really just shows poor judgement on her part, not something that can warrant being reported.

Are you close with her at all? Maybe if you feel comfortable enough you could go to her and just give her a heads up that some students found her fb profile and were going through her pictures. Hopefully pointing that out will make her realize she should change her privacy settings or be careful what she posts onto the web. Maybe you can even offer her assistance in changing her privacy settings, so it sounds more like you're helping so kids mind their own business, rather than making any kind of judgement on her photos?

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 16, 2013

Very poor judgment on her part. I guess you have no choice but to report the disruption as Caesar said. If this was something I had just stumbled upon, though, without any student involvement, I would keep my nose out of it. If I were close enough with the teacher, I might just privately recommend to her to take it down.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

I don't think that those pictures are necessarily indicative of poor judgment. I think that posting them without privacy filters is bad judgment.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 16, 2013

That's what I meant.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2013

I've heard of teachers getting fired for such pics on FB.

12. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 16, 2013

#1 - this teacher needs to adjust their settings.
    #2 - they need to approve any tagged pictures before they show up in her timeline.
    #3 - As others stated, if you are close to her, I would let her know what the students brought up to you. If not, let administration know so they can take care of it. Whether she is just warned or actually let go is not in your control and not your fault.

It seems that these days that ever teacher understands the risks of having an FB account, if they choose to. Even though I have strict privacy on my account, I make sure not to post pictures of alcohol (I may have a picture of a drink from 2007 on FB, will have to check), suggestive messages, etc. I try to remember that I have some kids as friends (my own kids and relatives) and I don't want them to see it, so why would I want to chance others seeing it?

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

I think she's well within her right to post these...whether I personally approve or not. I have seen very similar pictures from a few colleagues. I would go to her and let her know they're public...but I would NOT contact administration.

14. bison

bison Habitué

May 16, 2013

Yeah, I doubt she knows these are viewable publicly. I'd let her know so she has a chance to fix the issue and preferably take them down or ask her friends to take them down.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

My school has a technology policy....I'm careful about what I put online...NOTHING Online is private...this discussion has been had here MANY times....watch what you put out there.

I'd mention to the colleague that students have 'discovered' her page.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

First thing you do is let the teacher know. As others have said, she may not know that the kids have access to the pictures. Once the teacher is able to get the pictures put to private, the matter is dropped. The kids would not be permitted to discuss it in class and by the next day they will have a new topic of conversation. Life goes on, no harm no foul. There really isn't anything too bad about those pictures. I'm pretty sure my students know that I swear, though they have never heard me. Based on my personality they could guess it. They know that I speed, I have told them. They know teachers are not perfect.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 16, 2013

FB is satan's playpen. As they say on my sports forum,
    this thread is useless without pics.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 16, 2013

I feel the P needs to know about these pics. I'm not sure what the P will do. Whatever the P decides, I think you'll feel better doing the right thing by letting the P know.

I do agree that the teacher should also be informed as well.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 16, 2013

I see no reason to inform the P. The pics aren't school related. They are personal. Even though teachers are held to a higher standard, they do still have a right to some privacy in their personal life.

I would let the teacher know the kids have accessed her FB page and been talking about the pictures there I would probably suggest she might want to increase her privacy settings, but would leave that up to her.

That approach states the facts without making any judgment on the content of the pics themselves and leaves the final decision with the teacher herself.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

I dont know anyone, teacher or not, who would post #1 or 3.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

Your friends and family list must be very exclusive! :haha:

Oh, the things I see...

22. menyo29

menyo29 New Member

May 16, 2013

IMHO, even though everyone has a right to privacy, as a teacher you are a public figure and role model to children. One can not and must not allow this type of material to be viewed by the minors that you are presenting yourself in front of. The bigger issue to me is that what is being dealt with is not middle aged adult men, as myself, who work along side as her peer and can accept the material in a mature manner but adolescent boys. I, speaking for myself would have a much different view of a teacher, or any adult for that matter, if I viewed such material. The credibility of the teacher would be compromised at least slightly I believe. Yes, these must be made private and hope that they weren't already distributed. Technology is a great thing - in the hands of responsible people. My 13 year old son knows more than I may ever know about how to quickly manipulate data , and I have recently left the high tech field. I would not be surprised if the photos have already been copied and made the rounds. I certainly would not want to be the administrator who would have to potentially field the phone calls resulting from this.

It's situations like this that I say to myself - "good luck putting that genie back in the bottle."

Just my thoughts though.

23. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2013

I end up filtering out people who post pics & comments like that. Before I did that, I did mental face palms sometimes when seeing my news feed...

I wonder if people don't realize how their profiles are perceived, or simply don't care. Do what you want, just understand the perception you're giving off when you make your life so public...

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

Though I have never said that phrase myself (more a phrase for women), I know I have said things that use that type of language on facebook. My feeling is, if you don't like it, then unfriend me. If you don't, then you know enough to understand me.

25. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

yes, you must know that you are giving off the perception that you are NORMAL. Most any parent who would end up coming across that would probably understand and be able to relate.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 17, 2013

I would talk to the teacher myself. If it continues, then I would report the disruption.

27. platypusok

platypusok Companion

May 17, 2013

I would talk to the teacher and the P because that crap can blow up fast. There have been teachers in my state lose jobs because of crap on social media. I went to a legal issues in the classroom workshop and the lawyer doing the workshop suggested not having social media at all.

I get on social media lectures in the classroom often about how kids need to present themselves. My stu-co kids and I went to a leadership conference and one of the speakers was an employee at one of the big state universities and his workshop was all about the two most important things they need to know, a good handshake and how to control their social media presence. He came right out and said that the university gets scholarship and job applications and one of their steps is to look at the social media.

She has an absolute right to post what she wants but I also think that their are consequences as to how you choose to present yourself on social media and if it is anything like my school, now that the kids have the photos...everyone will have those photos.

28. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

I am older and not social media savvy, but we have a school policy about such things. Do you? I think if it doesn't violate school policy I would still talk to her because it reflects on both her and the school, in my opinion. It has already affected student behavior and their opinion of her. If it violates policy, I am afraid I would tell the principal because it is your obligation to do so.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2013

My principal says he doesn't have time to pay attention to FB and doesn't care what any of his teachers post. On the other hand, my parents are on there with me and care a great deal if I post something that makes teachers look bad (we had a bit of discussion about whether I should talk about a bourbon tasting I hosted). Perhaps the trick is to make sure your parents and / or grandparents have access to your feed.

30. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 17, 2013

I know right! I've "hidden" most of those people who post ridiculous stuff, but they're definitely out there.

I don't know, I feel like alcohol, sex and cursing are things that go along with adulthood for most. She wasn't doing anything illegal. Is it unfortunate the students saw it? Sure. But it's her choice. Tell her so she's aware of the situation. That's all I'd do.

31. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 17, 2013

While it can be labeled as normal, I think having a permanent visual stamp on a time when you made a dumb comment or posed drinking out of a cup shaped like a penis is not necessarily the best idea.

It's not the action that concerns me, it's the fact that now that event has been time stamped and out for the public to see. I'm no angel but that doesn't mean I need my antics permanently etched onto the web for my students to see.

32. physteach

physteach Companion

May 17, 2013

Meh. I'd give her the heads up that she made a guest appearance in your class, but those just don't seem super inappropriate (in the general sense).

33. platypusok

platypusok Companion

May 17, 2013

So much truth. I'm so glad that I didn't have social media when I was a dumb teenager. I don't need some of the crap I did living forever on the internet.

34. menyo29

menyo29 New Member

May 17, 2013

I guess my only real issue with all of this is can stuff like this compromise your ability to be an effective teacher. While to the average person, me included, it's no big deal. We are mature adults who have private lives. The problem is that we just can not make it public at all. I remember growing up and seeing the same doctors preach about the dangers of smoking go outside the hospital on break and lighting one up. I found this difficult to take them seriously. Their credibility is at stake. I have to wonder that if the same teacher was to catch me saying the f-word and scolding me after I saw first hand that she posted the word for the world to see is at least a little bit hypocritical, at least in my eyes as a young student. It's more about how these kinds of messages affect her ability to teach. A student will use these kinds of photos to their advantage, I think I would. I was young and dumb. It's so much different now. Even though teachers must be able to vent and relax, I think it is imperative that students can only guess what teachers do away from school. Let them think teachers are perfect. That is not necessarily a bad thing, is it? Isn't classroom management hard enough these days without peripheral distractions?

35. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

May 17, 2013

Let that teacher know very quickly. Yes, teachers can and WILL get fired for that and much less.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 17, 2013

I don't mean this hatefully toward you and you all know I don't use this phrase here, but I think school policies dictating what LEGAL things I can't do at home or otherwise not at school is complete BS.

37. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 17, 2013

Completely agree. While perception can be important; we can never know what people will and will not find acceptable. Everyone looks at things differently.

As for someone saying above that it is okay to let kids think teachers are perfect outside of school; that is not reality. I tell my students all of the time that I am not perfect, that I make mistakes. I have told my students stories of when I have done different things at different ages, but in the end I learned lessons and have come out quite successful.

38. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 17, 2013

:yeahthat: I was about to post the same thing :) My husband jokes that in his day, even with Polaroid cameras, no one was taking pictures of their meals, "selfies" in the bathroom, etc. I laugh now when we go out to eat and he tells me to wait and takes a picture of the meal first!

39. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 17, 2013

No, school policies should not dictate what teachers should do with their time outside school. No one gets to tell me that I can't wear a certain kind of outfit or go out drinking or live in sin, etc. But there is a fine line. Some professions are just held to a higher standard - politicians, doctors, members of the clergy, and teachers to name a few.

I agree with the person who said that it might be difficult to fully have their respect if that's what you're putting out there on the internet. It may not be fair that some professions held to a higher standard, but the fact remains, and if you deny it, you could be in for some serious consequences. If you don't believe me, ask Anthony Weiner. ;)

40. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 17, 2013

Totally agree with Jersey. I drink, I wear bathing suits...but first of all, my fb account is set to private and second of all, I'd be very careful about what was posted or tagged. Our P has told us to put our accounts to private and to be careful. Our super does a social media talk to students and staff every year...he has been known to do a fb search before interviewing finalists...

41. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 17, 2013

Being paranoid, I threw my name into Google. My Twitter feed is locked and my FB profile doesn't come up at all (it's someone in Maine). Glad I keep turning down those LinkedIn requests.