What would you do if a student did not bring a gift for their secret santa?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2007

I'm tyring out secret santa in my class for the first time. I already have five gifts in, and they are not really due until next Monday. Our gift exhchange is next Wednesday.

I'm just thinking ahead.... what would you do if for some reason, a student did not bring a gift in for their secret santa? When we first started I had the talk about making sure that they ALL brought in their gift for the secret santa. I also sent home a letter telling parents that if they thought they couldn't do secret santa, to let me know. So far, no one has called or asked me about it. But, I want to prepare for the worst. What would you do?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 12, 2007

Have some back up gifts. There is always the possiblity that the child forgot or doesn't have the money- even if it's a small amount.

Have a few things to choose from, so at least that person can choose the gift from some different things.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2007

Okay, here's another question: Should I tell the student that the gifts were from me??

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 13, 2007

No. Don't tell them.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2007

I teach HS, so it's not ever going to come up.

But I agree: pick up some extra books that you wouldn't mind having in your classroom. Wrap them up and include one for every missing child. At the end of the day, you may have some extras for your classroom library; that's OK.

The odds are good that no one is trying to scam you out of a gift. Kids who forget either:
    -- forget the gift that's home on the table
    -- have parents who are just so swamped they forgot this. (I KNOW I am going to drop some balls this Christmas-- I already forgot my 9 year old's visit to re-check his ear infection. I'm sincerely hoping that I can remember all I have to do, but some mistakes are pretty much inevitable.)
    -- have parents who simply can't afford a gift

None of that should penalize a child. Buy some books.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 13, 2007

You must have gifts on hand that would be either for a boy or a girl. I have done this for several years but decided to stop because there were at least 4 to 5 students not bringing in gifts. (and they certainly were the ones who could afford to)

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2007

I like Alice's suggestions. Either books, colored pencils, puzzles. A lot of these items are at the dollar stores as well.

I definately would not tell the student...where's the mystery in the Secret Santa.. Plus if the child didn't bring it, they'll probably feel embarrassed as it is.

9. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 13, 2007

I did it with my 5th graders and made sure I had about 5 extra "gifts" on hand. I went to Family Dollar and got chocolates, play dough, books, anything that looked like something the kids would like. Then when the kids were doing work I pulled asside the ones who didn't bring anything and asked them what they wanted to give their person (i wrapped them already but knew what was what). The kids never knew who did and didn't bring their own.

10. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 13, 2007

That's what I did when I did a book exchange from my class. I just bought a few extra books from Scholastic, wrapped them up, and the students didn't know they were from me.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 13, 2007

That's what one or the teachers in my building does. She collects little trinkets throughout the year that could work for either a girl or boy and stashes them away for just this reason.

12. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Dec 14, 2007

We do a book exchange so I always have extra new books. At the start of the day I double check that everyone has a book (discreetly). Then, if people do not have one to give, I pull them aside and tell them not to worry. Later, my aide (who is always pulling kids for this or that) pulls the kids who did not bring in a book. They choose one to give and then wrap it. Later, the gifts are placed under the tree.
    I never want a kid to feel bad for something that they have no control over (they do not have money and are certainly not old enough to go shopping without mom or day!)

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Dec 15, 2007

I have you thought about maybe not doing an exchange. I think these can set children up for a lot of anxiety. I also think it is unfair to ask the parents to give more at this time of the year. Even an extra $5 is a lot to some families. Maybe you can think of some type of exchange that does not cost $. Everyone brings in a gently used book/toy that they can exchange.

14. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Dec 15, 2007

Whenever I do Secret Santa, I always send home a permission slip to DO the activity (instead of telling me you can't). That way, I know that parents have seen the permission slip and have ample warning to work with their kids on getting or making a gift. You never know if the sheet of paper even made it home to be seen by the parents.

I allow kids to (with parent permission) trade classroom chores for gifts. This way the families that are struggling with money can still have their child have a gift.

I have extra gifts on-hand.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 15, 2007

We used to have a prize box before the school opened up a school store (students buy stuff with their reward dollars). We kept the box and the students have never seen it. So this time of the year we can easily dip into it and the rest of the kids would never be any wiser.