What would you do? - cancel interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Gwen, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 12, 2007

I could use some advice on how to handle this situation. I have a job interview set up today in the afternoon. I will be leaving work right away and will just have enough time to make it to the interview. But today I was rushing out the door late for work and I left behind my portfolio, resume, cover letter, everything! Obviously I can't go to the interview. Is there anyway that I can gracefully cancel or reschedule so that I don't complete get myself black balled in the district? Oh I can't believe I did this! Your advice is appreciated.

3. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

Is there a way for you to go during lunch?

Is there a way for you to ask to leave a little earlier?

Could you call the place and explain your situation, maybe they'll be forgiving and allow you to come later or reschedule. I'd definitely explain it to the interviewer first though, before just making a decision. They might be able to help you figure something out.

And then whatever happens, it's always on them. Leave the ball in their court... :whistle:

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

Can you run home over your lunch break or get coverage for your classroom for an hour... claim something came up that's an EMERGENCY?!?

5. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

yep... that's what i meant by "go during lunch" or leave earlier,
    so you could go home & get ur stuff.

6. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Oct 12, 2007

I work to far from my home to be able to go home at lunch. I might be able to pull off the leaving early.

What do you think about emailing this

Good morning MR.., I am writing to let you know that I left the house this morning without my portfolio and letters of rec. If at all possible I would like to reschedule the interview; however, if rescheduling is not an option, I am agreeable to meeting this afternoon and faxing my letters of rec to you by Monday morning . Please return my note and let me know preference.

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration and a reply.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 12, 2007

It may be too late at this point, but I personally would just go to the interview and appologize repeatedly for not having the letters. I think it's better to show up and be appologetic than to reschedule.

I had a situation this summer where I got lost on my way to an interview and had to call the school to get directions. I was 15 minutes late! I was so upset. I'm always extremely early to interviews. I finally got there, frazzled, and sweating to death because it was July, I was driving around for 45 minutes, and my car doesn't have A/C. I was devasted about being late, I appologized profusely and was practically to the point of tears. I thought for sure I had totally ruined my chances, but that was the school that hired me. :) I definitely think it's better to go than to call and reschedule.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007

I hope everything worked out for you...I would probably have just gone to the interview and made up a story that my things were locked up somewhere...I don't think admiting you "forgot" important materials for an important occasion is wise.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2007

I'm hoping you went to the interview and told the truth.

10. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

please let us know what you chose to do and how it worked out for you..

11. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

I did the same thing, but luckily I've got my resume posted online, so I just gave them my website information and they pulled it up. I didn't get the job though, so don't go by what I say, LOL.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2007

I always heard that canceling or rescheduling is an automatic no-no. I would go and ad-lib. I would be the best darn actress in town, and kill them with kindness--show 'em what you know. You don't need props! Go without a script. This is my life and it is all in my head!!

If they ask for all that stuff, make up a beliveable story: ;) "I was at school, and we had an impromptu meeting. The building was locked when I left the meeting, so I was unable to return to my class to grab my portfolio. Surely you can understand that I wanted to bring these items. Would it be possible for me to fax them over to you first thing in the morning? :blush:"

I had an interview the other day, and left my cell phone! By the time I realized I left it, I was too close to the building! I would certainly be late. And I got lost three times. I couldn't even call. Good thing, when I got there, supt. was meeting with somebody else. So he didn't even notice I was a few minutes late. As usually, HE kept me waiting 30 minutes!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2007

This is a perfect example as to why we all need a 'Layoff Kit' at our desk!

Don't laugh. Nothing is worse that the dreaded statement, "Can I see you in my office."

You are sad, rejected, and need to go back and clean out your desk, and take home your plants.

You can snatch some parent letters, recommendations, and thank you letters that you have right in your room. Stuff them in your lay off kit, and walk gracefully out the door. and when you get home. you won't have time to cry. start working on applications.

If you had a layoff kit, you would have a resume and copies of transcripts right there!

Another way of looking at this is for promotions and performance evaluations. Whenever somebody wants to know what your progress is looking like, pull out your lay off kit. You have college transcripts, copies of workshops you just attended, meetings you chaired. Projects you began. etc.

I always keep my resume at my desk!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2007

So Gwen--what did you do?