What Would You Do? (Awkward)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 11, 2014

Lets say your classroom is directly across from the boy's bathroom. As the bell rings for students to get to class you stand outside your door to watch the students in the hallway. The boy's bathroom door opens and you see a student you know (Which happens to be a female) come out and before the door closes all the way you see a bunch of guys in the bathroom. What would you do?

(Yes, this really happened)

I was thinking I would let the female go for the time being. Then quickly call for an administrator from my classroom. As each boy comes out I would direct him to my classroom and wait for the administrator to arrive. I would then explain to the admin what I saw and then give the female student's name to the admin as well.

(I do not want to go into actual details of what the actual teacher did)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2014

When 2 girls and 2 boys (all grade 8 students) were seen coming out of the girls' bathroom at recess on day, they were referred to the office. The principal talked to all of the students and the parents of the boys were contacted.

4. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 11, 2014

This just reminds me that there are unexpected events that happen on the job.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 11, 2014

My dad had to handle this when he was still teaching and had the classroom closest to the restrooms. He called security and then handled keeping all the other students out of the area so they wouldn't gawk. Cannot imagine how he would have managed in the era of cell phones with cameras.

6. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 11, 2014

How would you handle it the situation?

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 11, 2014

Remember, this is totally academic because my students are not in a physical school setting, let alone able to sneak into a restroom. That being said, probably in a similar matter to the way my dad did. Call security, let nearby teachers know to keep students in the classroom, and lock down my own room until given the all-clear from administration. I would not intervene personally.

8. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 12, 2014

just wondering, why weren't all parents contacted?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2014

That's what I wondered as well. I don't know all of the details, though.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2014

I'm assuming it's because the boys were in a place they didn't belong.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 12, 2014

We have cameras everywhere, so I would immediately e-mail the principal, then he would review the cameras outside the bathroom, and call in the students involved. He would probably talk to the girl first, then to each guy individually. Depending on what happened in the restroom, there could be a variety of punishments. Early in the process, our SRO would be involved, and would go into the restroom to check for tobacco or other drug smell, and in the usual hiding places for bottles and other drug paraphernalia.