What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by bethinks123, Mar 10, 2010.

1. bethinks123

bethinks123 New Member

Mar 10, 2010

I have just found out that I am in Kdg. next year. I am thrilled as I love Kindergarten! I have $250 to spend-what is the item/game/etc. that you can't live without?

Thanks!

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

I must, must, must have my Royal Reading Writing center. This is a white board easel on wheels, has white boards on both sides and storage tubs underneath. I love it and use it more than anything else in my room. There are several different models and prices (I would love to get one of the newer models!). I also love my individual student white boards. We use them at least 3-4 times a week.

Are you sure though, that the $250 isn't for basic supplies (paper, pencils, glue)? If that is the case, you will spend every penny just on that kind of stuff.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 11, 2010

Congratulations! You will really enjoy this age group. I am a sucker for manipulatives. I end up buying new ones each year because I see something different the kids can use. You can use them for almost any math activity-sorting, counting, patterns and they work for whole group instruction and for small group or workstations.

5. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

I would use it for manips also-mainly because mine are grungy, worn-out and missing a bunch of pieces. I would also buy matching tubs with lids because I have a mish-mosh of tubs and it looks sloppy. New floor puzzles?

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to get a list of items that will already be in the room or provided? It would be a shame to spend money on things that will already be there for you.

7. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Mar 11, 2010

individual lap white boards! great for lang arts and math!

8. bethinks123

bethinks123 New Member

Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a lot to think about! I like the idea of the white board cart on wheels. Thanks

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

I honestly could NOT LIVE without my CDs. I've garnered a big collection of Dr. Jean and Jack Hartmann (among others) CDs and I swear, we use them ALL DAY LONG. On average, we listen to/sing/dance to about 10-15 songs a day. They are FILLED with fun ways of learning letters, sounds, numbers, and many other skills. I had to buy a boom box to listen to them on too - that was the best money I spent.

10. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 11, 2010

I second the individual dry erase boards! Another item we use almost daily are clip boards!!! They are great to complete work as a group on the rug. The kids love completing work on the clip boards...they are "official"!:)

I couldn't do without my chair pockets either!!! The children keep their pencils, crayons, and calendar in the chair pockets!! I love the clean tables...no pencil boxes will ever come into my room again!!!:)

11. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I don't think I could live without my big book storage rack. I also love having lots of different pocket charts and the alphabet tubs from Lakeshore.

Many many of the things people are suggesting (dry erase boards, seat sacks, and even the alphabet tubs) are things you can make or have made for soooooooooooooo much cheaper.

Dry erase boards-$10-$20 for roughly 20-30 at Lowe's.
    Seat sacks- cost of fabric plus a few bucks to a seamstress in comparison to a few hundred dollars
    ABC tubs- just pick up little toys from the dollar store that start with the different letters and put them in cheap tupperware

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2010

i agree that you should be careful not to buy something that may be in the room. i also second that a kinder teacher can never have enough manips. i also like to buy colored cardstock for all the little games you'll make.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 14, 2010

Also, hit yard sales. Often times you can get a bunch of plastic toy items for free. Two years ago I ended up with a wood train set for free. This years class doesn't like it very much but last year class had it go all the way around my room.

14. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

For art supplies I would go to Discount School Supplies. They honestly have the best prices. I would spend my money here getting basics for lots of items that you will need.

15. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

I also agree with previous posters about seeing what items you already have in your classroom and hitting yard sales. We don't have play centers in our kindergarten classroom, but we do have literacy centers. See what your school wants and then go from there. :)

16. missanderson06

missanderson06 Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

Whisper Phones

I use whisper phones a lot in my classroom during guided reading, which if you look at Really Good Stuff or Lakeshore are pretty pricey, but you can also just go to Lowe's and get the pipe connectors and put two of them together and they totally work as a whisper phone and for about 1.00 each instead of much more! Just a thought to make the $250.00 spread! I would also suggest clear and concise number and letter lines, puzzles and floor puzzles, letter stamps with washable ink, wipe-off books to practice handwriting, and spending it on some form of theme for your room too! I have a frog theme and my kids are ALWAYS bringing me things to help me add to my theme! It's been great! Just a few suggestions! You're going to LOVE Kindergarten!

17. missanderson06

missanderson06 Rookie

Mar 14, 2010

Wish List

Another thing you can do is that for the other random things like Magic Erasers (a Kindergarten teacher's DREAM), Clorox Wipes, fun colored paper for notes, googly eyes and pipe cleaners for crafts, etc., at your meet the teacher night you can put up a wishlist and ask your parents to sign up for something. I did this this year and everything was signed up for really quickly and the parents were very good at sending it! Just a thought! You can ask for like sticky notes, masking tape, stuff like that too! You'd be amazed at how much parents will help you!

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2010

I love all colors of dry erase markers for demonstrating lessons.
    Also I would LOVE a library style bookcase. An ELMO is great but I think they are too much. The individual white boards/markers/erasers are great. My kids LOVE their wooden "spacemen" to use when writing. Good luck and have fun. I LOVE Kindergarten but will be moved to a different grade next year. :(